Angel Beats! Translation?

Thing is, no, there won't be a VN translation more highly requested than Angel Beats for a while. But you shouldn't assume that will make translation easier. Popular with community members is not the same as popular with translators, and to be honest it's really, really hard to start and finish a project successfully as a non-translator no matter what. You should instead focus on giving translators an attractive reason for working with you. You need to be able to provide a service they can't get elsewhere, such as having top-notch editing skills or strong connections in order to build and maintain a strong team right away. Without aspects like these, to be honest you're probably better off joining other projects in need. If you can provide these things then Angel Beats strikes me as a really odd choice considering Sekai Project's relationship with Key. I seriously think that the chances of an official Angel Beats announcement at AX are like 90%.

If we're wishlisting here then some of the VNs I most want to see translated MIGHT be popular enough to attract talent. Specifically Minato Carnival's upcoming game co-written by both the main scenario writers of Majikoi and Oretsuba, Takahiro and Ou Jackson respectively, Anekouji Naoko to Gin'iro no Shinigami. It's a new, upcoming title with great looking art and some seriously renowned writing talent behind it. But it's not a Key game, so you won't get people begging for a bootleg translation a few months sooner than the official one, like with Angel Beats. But if it turns out to be good you may have an easier time attracting prospective translators than many of the other VNs mentioned here. edit: It will also probably be a better VN than Angel Beats.  :makina:

Stuff like Light's games have been popular among western Japanese readers for a long time and yet no translation projects have even begun. This is because they're very high-difficulty VNs and you should stay away unless you have an extremely talented translator already on-board.

You know, Anekouji Naoko to Gin'iro no Shinigami actually seems pretty appealing to me. Thanks for the suggestion

And yeah Light would have to be lowest on my list of studios to consider

think the most importent thing to do BEFORE even choosing a title is to assemble some guys who might help you, like a core team & then hear their opinions out what they might be longing for.

At least, Find translator(s) who willingly to do it until the end.

Other positions are easier to filled.

think the most importent thing to do BEFORE even choosing a title is to assemble some guys who might help you, like a core team & then hear their opinions out what they might be longing for.

Well, I think you'd actually need to chose something to do before trying to find help. Most people aren't going to join a project without knowing what game they're going to be working on. 

Thing is, no, there won't be a VN translation more highly requested than Angel Beats for a while. But you shouldn't assume that will make translation easier. Popular with community members is not the same as popular with translators, and to be honest it's really, really hard to start and finish a project successfully as a non-translator no matter what. You should instead focus on giving translators an attractive reason for working with you. You need to be able to provide a service they can't get elsewhere, such as having top-notch editing skills or strong connections in order to build and maintain a strong team right away. Without aspects like these, to be honest you're probably better off joining other projects in need. If you can provide these things then Angel Beats strikes me as a really odd choice considering Sekai Project's relationship with Key. I seriously think that the chances of an official Angel Beats announcement at AX are like 90%.

I think, there is no real reason for Sekai to release new VN before old ones. Both, LB and Rewrite are very popular and often requested as well. And isn't the cost of a new cake will be higher?

Btw, I'm interested to see, how they'll go with LB graphics. Clannad is getting the new HD assets, and Rewrite and AB already have high-res CGs. I want LB with CGs from PS3 release... *sigh*

And isn't Jackson hard too? Well, we don't know for sure, but still.

nah i might have caused a bit of misunderstanding. i guess mr.heizei has a bit connections here & there (means people he already worked with & who are willing to do so again) and that´s what i meant with core team, not a full assembled projects team.
based on the nature of human beeings there´re two ways of succesfully handling a situation like that.
In the case where the title to work on is solely choosen by his (heizei´s) own preferences, a very charismatic & convincing personality is absolutely indispensable to enthuse the fellow members into following him.
the other possibility is to gather some candidates & reach a conclusion throughout discussion, so that ideally all people involved are going to feel the same way, resulting in good teamwork

edit: @vario, why shouldn´t there be a way for sekai to release angel beats at the moment? you know strike the iron while its hot. also the related anime (a main cause for a potential succes of the vn in the west doesn´t get any younger by the time they may wait.

This is something I would love to see, as we all know Insem is not doing anything with it and would rather troll people than translate.

Insem is for sure one of the most fuckers that out there that i have ever met. Dont mention him, or else im going to break my pc monitor after having red his fucking name mentioned. He is a disgrace for the world of VN.

@XReaper I just think that getting the voice actors for Angel Beats! would cost more than SP's budget at the moment. I know they will probably license it someday, but I still don't think its going to come soon.

I really would prefer to avoid working on a game like Dracu-Riot, I would likely have to completely restart. The hallmark of a good fan transltaion is consistant and colorful language that engages the reader from beginning to end. I believe that can be achieved by only having a select few TLs, TLCs, and editors work on the project. Piece-meal projects just aren't appealing to me.

And there are clearly two distinctly different opinions here

-Get translators and then pick a project that everyone agrees on

-Pick a project and then get translators who are interested in that project

I am leaning toward the latter, I mean I'm considering starting a project for Angel Beats! That should say something about me, clearly an enigmatic person right here :scottsune:

Hmm, I also think that SP will pick up Angel Beats ASAP(probability that they will release AB in english is more likely 95%+ since they're in touch with Key and the the game is hyped to the max), they're taking fast tempo on the first Grisaia game, and Clannad is already 25~~% too, after two months~~ Am I right ? I'm wondering what amount of $ could Angel Beats! hit on kickstarter.. By the end of May SP will probably release first Grisaia game or even faster, and take on with Angel Beats, while also continuing with their current projects. I'm still amazed with amount of money people put into Clannad + Grisaia's trilogy, that's superb thing.

Speaking of Anekouji Naoko to Gin'iro no Shinigami I also think it will be huge, if I'm not mistaken it has 1920x1080 resolution!?

Art looks stunning, and the story's looks alright(maybe a little bit too similar to Maji). I'm a bit hyped for it, because I enjoyed Majikoi pretty hard(still playing) Anyway, I really think that if you would pick up this project, you would make many people happy. Being able to play one if the newest VNs in english sounds too good to be truth, though. Decay's saying some wise words.

Sad thing that there isn't too many translators which would take on translating VNs to english, especially long ones.

Good luck with whichever project you will pick up.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are gonna translate something it should be something you have read yourself and enjoyed otherwise whats the point of translating something you arent going to like? 

It's Angel Beats we're talking about here? Pretty sure nobody is going to run into that problem 

Are they able to get at the script though?

If you click the link you will see that yes they have extracted script files

If you click the link you will see that yes they have extracted script files

All I see is them saying old tools don't work with newer releases, parsepck crashes for instance and can't extract Scene.pck. Also the tools available on the referenced Assembla only take the string table, they don't deal with the script at all. So they're entirely restricted with things like, adding a new string or removing a string, they can't do that, let alone alter the script in other ways.