What anime should I recommend for my sister?

She's a huge fan of the works of Miyazaki Hayao, and after noticing that she was watching Mononoke hime for the 13th time, I really want to recommend her some anime but I can't think of any. She like Inuyasha too, so I'm guessing that she likes anime with fantasy settings.

Patema Inverted

Anything by studio Ghibli

And possibly Shingeki no Bahamut

I recently watched Zankyou no Terror and would highly recommend to anyone, even if it is outside of their usual watch territory.

Time of Eve - This one is probably pushing it a little, as it doesn't have any action and is majoritively character driven.

Index + Railgun Series - These are really pushing it.  Last ditch effort.

Come back later once you figure out what she liked about the series she has watched and we can pinpoint what she likes to a precision degree.

boku no pico

First of all, you can't go wrong with any of the Miyazaki films.

Moribito, to me, has the same mood of medieval Japan with some fantasy that one might find akin to Princess Mononoke. It's also dubbed in English, if that's preferable.

As is Mushishi, which is mentioned above, but I'd like to second it. It has a few more recent seasons and stuff, too. Natsume Yuujinchou, also mentioned, has a similar atmosphere, as well as plenty of seasons.

This isn't fantasy, but maybe she would enjoy Gunslinger Girl? Idk why I say that, but I feel like it could work.

Maybe Accel World? Blood Lad would be good I think? That's a bit more comedy with some action and a cool fantasy setting. Eureka Seven or FLCL might appeal to her and are more classic than my other recs.

Omg also Kamisama Hajimemashita. Very shoujo. Very fantasy.

if i were to recommend some of my favorites that not every one and thier mom have watched these would be it:

crest and banner of the stars http://myanimelist.n...koku_Monogatari

Aria the animation http://myanimelist.n...a_the_Animation

Saiunkoku no monogatari http://myanimelist.n...Seikai_no_Senki

You're Under Arrest http://myanimelist.n..._Arrest!_(1996)

The rest

birdy the mighty decode

Allison and Lillia

gunslinger girl (warning ahead of time can sometimes get your head to a boiling point in rage)

Mobile Police Patlabor
Ray the animation

Only anime movies? why not nichijou?

boku no pico

First of all, you can't go wrong with any of the Miyazaki films.

Moribito, to me, has the same mood of medieval Japan with some fantasy that one might find akin to Princess Mononoke. It's also dubbed in English, if that's preferable.

As is Mushishi, which is mentioned above, but I'd like to second it. It has a few more recent seasons and stuff, too. Natsume Yuujinchou, also mentioned, has a similar atmosphere, as well as plenty of seasons.

Don't mention boku no pico even as a joke!!! :vinty:

It's somewhat unclear what age range the audience is, which makes it somewhat harder to recommend. So, I'm going to stick to recommendations that work basically regardless of age.

I wholeheartedly second Moribito - that's the single best fit I can think of for "things to recommend for a little sister"

Wolf Children is a good movie recommendation, so I'll second that as well, but Summer Wars doesn't feel quite right; it doesn't give much stage time to its young female characters, except for the very early part and the very late part of the movie, from what I can recall. If I'm just misremembering on that point, then that's a good recommendation too, since it is a very good movie.

Natsume's Book of Friends might be a good choice... a little bit of fantasy, a little bit of everyday life, and every episode is a beautiful story. However, it also suffers from "not enough stage time for female characters". Another potential major down-side: no dub available.

This doesn't line up with the theme of fantasy at all, but if I had a little sister, I'd probably be recommending K-On! to her. Could be that's a misread on my part, though, and it probably depends on whether your sister is interested in music (or likely to be interested in music).

You might also go for something more shoujo that isn't too over-the-top/heavy. Perhaps Fruits Basket? Probably not Ouran, unless she's older than I'm inferring.

Howl's Moving Castle (Or anything Ghibli, really)

http://myanimelist.net/anime/431/Howl_no_Ugoku_Shiro

If she liked Inuyasha theres a good chance she might like Fushigi Yuugi, though (In my opinion) it's a little more serious, and delves deeper into the romance than Inuyasha did

http://myanimelist.net/anime/123/Fushigi_Yuugi

She may also like Rurouni Kenshin , though I recommend reading the manga as well as the anime left out a whole arc

http://myanimelist.net/anime/45/Rurouni_Kenshin:_Meiji_Kenkaku_Romantan

It's somewhat unclear what age range the audience is, which makes it somewhat harder to recommend. So, I'm going to stick to recommendations that work basically regardless of age.

I wholeheartedly second Moribito - that's the single best fit I can think of for "things to recommend for a little sister"

for pete's sake i completly fogot about that one.

yeah that is most likely a very good fit for a recommendation.

But by that tone isn't guin saga also a very good fit?

Wolf Children is a good movie recommendation, so I'll second that as well, but Summer Wars doesn't feel quite right; it doesn't give much stage time to its young female characters, except for the very early part and the very late part of the movie, from what I can recall. If I'm just misremembering on that point, then that's a good recommendation too, since it is a very good movie.

Natsume's Book of Friends might be a good choice... a little bit of fantasy, a little bit of everyday life, and every episode is a beautiful story. However, it also suffers from "not enough stage time for female characters". Another potential major down-side: no dub available.

This doesn't line up with the theme of fantasy at all, but if I had a little sister, I'd probably be recommending K-On! to her. Could be that's a misread on my part, though, and it probably depends on whether your sister is interested in music (or likely to be interested in music).

You might also go for something more shoujo that isn't too over-the-top/heavy. Perhaps Fruits Basket? Probably not Ouran, unless she's older than I'm inferring.

Sorry, I forgot to mention her age. She's a university student, 3 years older than me. She doesn't like anything too serious or boring though, no matter how good the story the anime has.

Based on the little information that I have about your sister I'm suggesting these shows each for various reasons. I would honestly just compile a list of all the shows mentioned in this thread and give them to her and see if she finds anything she's interested in. 

Akatsuki no Yona

Blue Seed

Fushigi Yugi

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 

Juuni Kokuki (a.k.a. Twelve Kindoms)

Kemono no Souja Erin

Kyou Kara Maou

Lupin the 3rd (not just this film but the series and other films as well...castle is just a good one to introduce to lupin as it's by miyazaki)

Romeo X Juliet

Saiunkoku Monogatari

Sanzoku no Musume Ronja

Steins;Gate

Tenkuu no Escaflowne

Welcome to the NHK

Ok, university student age changes things (dunno why, but I was somehow inferring a younger sister and expecting early teens)...

*goes to check shelves*

Ok, here's my final recommendations for a university age female. I admit that I'm kind of ignoring the "fantasy" angle, for the most part, and rather looking for stuff that's good and that has strong, prominent female characters:

- Moribito is still the best recommendation.

- Haibane Renmei is the only other one I would recommend this strongly. I kinda recommend this one to everyone all the time, but it's more appropriate than usual this time (fantasy, strong female leads). Wasn't on my previous list because I was thinking younger.

Next tier, not as strongly recommended:

- Anohana. Everybody should watch Anohana.

- Honey and Clover actually wasn't my favorite, but it's one of the only shows I know of based on a josei manga, and it shows that with a lot more characterization, more complex character interactions, more realistic (but still involving) plot, etc., than most anything else I've watched demonstrates.

Last tier, a little more out-there recommendations, depending on your read of personality and interest (and whether she seems interested):

- Fruits Basket is good shojo, pretty straight-up. Really depends on whether she's interested in this sort of thing.

- Ouran High School Host Club, for an amazing, off-beat shojo comedy. I love this show, but it's probably the farthest-removed thing from Ghibli movies on my list here.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. She is watching Fate/Stay Night UBW atm, which was not even an anime I recommended for her :P she started watching it after stumbling upon a fight scene when I was watching episode 1.

• 4 weeks later...