How butchered was IMHHW?

AlexZandria

I've heard a lot of bad things about the IMHHW translation, mostly pertaining to the removal of the H-scenes and how they changed a lot of dynamics in the story.

I was curious as to how people felt about the translation other than the H-scenes. Would it really be a bad idea to play this version? I don't really care whether or not my games have H-scenes in them and I had been thinking about getting the game but I'm pretty weary about it after all of the flak I've seen it get.

Translation is... understandable... in any route except Ageha's, where it becomes pretty much incomprehensible at various points.

Sexual jokes censored; ie. the dialogue will say 'eyes' instead of boobs or whatever.

Other than that yeah slap on the restoration patch and enjoy~

Apparently they even censored kissing scenes, like wat. Translation is also pretty inaccurate in routes other than Ageha's according to the guy TLCing it at the moment. Basically the release is a failure all-around. I would  honestly not have whined about the censoring too much had the tl been decent and certain really excessive censoring not present...

That said... I haven't even read it, so what I say is second-hand.

From what I understand, it is terrible.

General consensus says Moenovel = bad.

They censored the game itself not just the eroge content and the translation is bad really bad.

you should read this:

http://blog.fuwanovel.net/2013/07/why-i-wont-be-buying-if-my-heart-had-wings/

That is terrible actually. I'll have to give it a run through soon, as I do have it on Steam.

Also wanted to say that I approve of your choice of avatar Sirius!! 

:wafuu:

1337416310162.png

The translation is the worst thing I have laid my eyes upon. I have almost no idea what is even going on in Ageha's route, it's an unreadable mess. The translator frequently make mistakes that are so simple that even I, who have almost no knowledge in Japanese, won't make. I can't even count how many times they used 'I' instead of 'you'. Can't believe people are paid to do that. I dropped the VN even though I was enjoying it, god damn Moenovel.

If the English version was so bad should I just see if I can find a hardcopy import and download a patch for it instead? I don't know if I should be directly funding MoeNovels if they butchered the TL so bad.

it was badly treated by moenovel, just get the restoration patch asap & enjoy the ride

What exactly does the restoration patch change about it?

They censored the game itself not just the eroge content and the translation is bad really bad.

you should read this:

http://blog.fuwanovel.net/2013/07/why-i-wont-be-buying-if-my-heart-had-wings/

Those statistics are actually pretty scary I appreciate the article though I didn't realize there was a Fuwanovel write up on it, thanks.

Translation is... understandable... in any route except Ageha's, where it becomes pretty much incomprehensible at various points.

Sexual jokes censored; ie. the dialogue will say 'eyes' instead of boobs or whatever.

Other than that yeah slap on the restoration patch and enjoy~

I didn't realize that the start of Ageha's route was about being sex friends I thought that was the end of her route so I didn't really realize they had changed the whole thing. I originally heard about it from Steam and was on the fence about it but since I'd been getting more active in the VN forum communities I've seen it get a lot of hate for censorship and I wasn't sure why.

Apparently they even censored kissing scenes, like wat. Translation is also pretty inaccurate in routes other than Ageha's according to the guy TLCing it at the moment. Basically the release is a failure all-around. I would  honestly not have whined about the censoring too much had the tl been decent and certain really excessive censoring not present...

That said... I haven't even read it, so what I say is second-hand.

Well I know they often censor stuff for Steam. HuniePop, NekoPara, Eden* (I know the original was all ages but I have a feeling they just would have made the +bonus content version if they didn't want to put it on Steam), Princess Evangile, etc but I didn't expect them to censor it much more than they would have any other Steam game.

Ageha's route is  incomprehensible for the most part

Yoru and Asa's route also has some weird moments.

Kotori's route has some awkward scenes.

Too many butchered jokes overall as well (you won't laugh at any point in this VN).

The rest of the routes are understandable albeit for grammar fails here and there and some translation fails, but they don't throw you off too bad.

So you can understand about 70% of the game if you play it as is.

If you're an English elitist, avoid like the plague.

Ageha's route is incomprehensible for the most part

Yoru and Asa's route also has some weird moments.

Kotori's route has some awkward scenes.

Too many butchered jokes overall as well (you won't laugh at any point in this VN).

The rest of the routes are understandable albeit for grammar fails here and there and some translation fails, but they don't throw you off too bad.

So you can understand about 70% of the game if you play it as is.

If you're an English elitist, avoid like the plague.

Well I thought it was supposed to be some sob story nukige at first so I didn't realize there was any comedy in it. In fact Steam shows it as if there are only 2 chicks in the entire game. You got wheelchair chick and other side chick. At least that is how Steam portrays it, imo

Before you even get to any H-scene, you have like 8 hours of story fo burn through, it's a pretty long (and somewhat boring) common route.

are there any choices many choices before the common route ends or can I just make a save close to the end of the common route and skip it on subsequent playthroughs? I don't mind a long common path as long as I don't have to spend 5-10 minutes skipping every time I want to start a new route.

I've heard a lot of bad things about the IMHHW translation, mostly pertaining to the removal of the H-scenes and how they changed a lot of dynamics in the story.

I was curious as to how people felt about the translation other than the H-scenes. Would it really be a bad idea to play this version? I don't really care whether or not my games have H-scenes in them and I had been thinking about getting the game but I'm pretty weary about it after all of the flak I've seen it get.

It's all little french girls' fault! Dammit you little lolis! I'll wait until the full restoration patch is released

are there any choices many choices before the common route ends or can I just make a save close to the end of the common route and skip it on subsequent playthroughs? I don't mind a long common path as long as I don't have to spend 5-10 minutes skipping every time I want to start a new route.

You can save at the first choice which is like 2 or 3 hours into the game. There's about 5 or 6 choices, you need to pick different combinations ti get different girls so you will be doing some skipping.

You can save at the first choice which is like 2 or 3 hours into the game. There's about 5 or 6 choices, you need to pick different combinations ti get different girls so you will be doing some skipping.

2 or 3 hours out of 8 isn't bad. At least it means I skip at least 25% of the common route before I start having to manually skip.

I personally haven't had too much of a problem with the translation. Yes, Ageha's route was a mess (that's putting it lightly) but other then that I've had a really good time with it. I guess I'll have to pay closer attention in what routes I have left (Asa and Yoru's).

I've actually just been looking through some examples of how bad that translation is and I'm starting to see where everyone is coming from in terms of the common route.

Edited by Alex

1) Original translation is bananas. It ranges from bad to pure gibberish. Severe mistranslations aside, the overall writing quality resembles a crude fanfic written by 15 years old kid who likes smoking weed, uses Urban Dictionary vocab all the time and doesn't know how to write in proper English.

2) Steam had absolutely nothing to do with censorship, it was only MoeNovel's idea (the VN was originally released outside of Steam). Why did they go that far? Well, they just don't know what they are doing.

3) Restoration patch only adds content that was completely removed (like H-scenes). It doesn't fix too much in the script translated by MoeNovel (so, those "big eyes" were still left as is). Some H-scenes have somewhat... hasty translations, too. Also, it wasn't made for Steam version so it causes plenty of bugs with it. Well, there were some minor issues even with the non-Steam version.

4) If you're wondering what the VN itself is about - it's mainly a slice-of-life title focused on a group of friends building a glider. Romance comes only later on, after a very, very long common route (but you can skip the text you have already read on next playthroughs, so you won't have to go over it again). It's a rather lighthearted, slow-paced novel, don't expect anything too exciting. It does the romance and relationship parts very well though. I find it rather enjoyable, even though I normally don't like down-to-earth slice-of-life at all.

5) As for the new Re-Translation patch, TL and editing are progressing (slowly, but steadily), but there were some technical issues with the new partial patch, so it got delayed... quite a lot. I'll post some proper updates (in a new thread), as soon as everything is resolved.

Thank you for the details. I was wondering if the text was fixed. Also sounds like some non h images were slightly altered too. Guess ill wait for a true restoration. I hope this convinces people to never buy anything from the company that butchered the game.

1) Original translation is bananas. It ranges from bad to pure gibberish. Severe mistranslations aside, the overall writing quality resembles a crude fanfic written by 15 years old kid who likes smoking weed, uses Urban Dictionary vocab all the time and doesn't know how to write in proper English.

2) Steam had absolutely nothing to do with censorship, it was only MoeNovel's idea (the VN was originally released outside of Steam). Why did they go that far? Well, they just don't know what they are doing.

3) Restoration patch only adds content that was completely removed (like H-scenes). It doesn't fix too much in the script translated by MoeNovel (so, those "big eyes" were still left as is). Some H-scenes have somewhat... hasty translations, too. Also, it wasn't made for Steam version so it causes plenty of bugs with it. Well, there were some minor issues even with the non-Steam version.

4) If you're wondering what the VN itself is about - it's mainly a slice-of-life title focused on a group of friends building a glider. Romance comes only later on, after a very, very long common route (but you can skip the text you have already read on next playthroughs, so you won't have to go over it again). It's a rather lighthearted, slow-paced novel, don't expect anything too exciting. It does the romance and relationship parts very well though. I find it rather enjoyable, even though I normally don't like down-to-earth slice-of-life at all.

5) As for the new Re-Translation patch, TL and editing are progressing (slowly, but steadily), but there were some technical issues with the new partial patch, so it got delayed... quite a lot. I'll post some proper updates (in a new thread), as soon as everything is resolved.

1/3) Ugh I guess that means I should probably wait for the 2nd restoration patch before I get it instead of trying to play the first one.

2) I actually meant getting the imported version from Japan and then patching it so that I didn't have to support MoeNovel directly but I guess they are a part of Pulltop (which makes me sad) so that don't help.

4) What do you like if you don't normally go for down-to-earth SoL if you don't mind me asking? I tend to cling to a lot of dystopians and mysteries and crime related stories myself but the whole nakige/utsuge themes appeal to me on a general level too so it didn't really seem in my normal line of reading choices but the art looked well done and the idea looked nice.

5) Is the 2nd patch going to be able to work with the steam version? Or will it still give the Steam version issues. I'll keep an eye out for your updates though :)

thanks so much for taking the time to write all that for me though ^_^

Thank you for the details. I was wondering if the text was fixed. Also sounds like some non h images were slightly altered too. Guess ill wait for a true restoration. I hope this convinces people to never buy anything from the company that butchered the game.

And at the same time people are buying/are going to buy it for that restoration patch and MoeNovel is going to assume that it sold well and continue to translate Pulltop's VNs. Which makes me sad because after seeing Kouichi Natsu no Last Resort I was kind of hoping one of the major translators would pick up the company later down the road but if they have their own (sucky) in house translators they aren't going to go for that.