Mangagamer licensing survey results

Down

It's there, finally.

Nothing extremely surprising tbh. They have a dataset of 8000 people which is quite significant.

Given the above, it was no surprise that women greatly preferred the otome and BL genres, while men more strongly preferred nukige and slice-of-life genres (though nukige gains importance with age).

Insert_rant_about_how_the_market_is_doomed_etc

For example, over 63% of respondents prefer digital downloads over hardcopies, and that trends more strongly with the younger crowd while older fans are more likely to prefer hardcopies.

I'm old. Shit. You young'uns and your digital intangible crap.

Namely, it was interesting to learn that more women get their news from Tumblr than any other site, medium, or forum. In contrast, men showed a slight preference for 4chan and a disdain for Tumblr.

I always thought that was a cliche, haha. Of course everyone here takes its news from the fuwanovel blog and twitter, right? :sachi:

The most asked companies and games are for the most part completely expected. The fanbase doesn't seem very informed about a number of things, but well.

Summary I made with the stats I found interesting.

Survey demographics:

73% of respondents were male while 23.5% were female.

86% were between the ages of 18-30, with 62.5% being 18-24. 

Female fans skewed towards slightly younger, with 13% of female respondents being between 13 and 17 years old compared to 3.8% of male respondents.

Visual Novel Preferences

When surveyed about what respondents considered most important when deciding to purchase a visual novel, “story” and “art” were significantly the two most important factors, though art held more sway with women than men .

For men, the third most significant factor was erotic content, while for women it was the characters and relationship options (IE male/male, female/male, etc.)

Next down for women is genre, voice actors, and erotic content, but for men it’s characters, gameplay, and length.

Women greatly preferred the otome and BL genres, while men more strongly preferred nukige and slice-of-life genres (though nukige gains importance with age),

Visual Novel Age Ratings

44% of fans prefer the adult version over all-ages options.

30% just want whichever version is the original, unedited edition. 

The people who actually prefer all-ages options above others only makes up 4% of the market.

Favorite companies

1. 07th Expansion
  2. OVERDRIVE
  3. Innocent Grey
  4. minori
  5. Navel
  6. Liarsoft
  7. Lilith
  8. MOONSTONE
  9. Circus
  10. ClockUp

Titles people most want to see licensed by MG

1. Fate/Stay Night
  2. Majikoi series
  3. Baldr series
  4. Muv-Luv series
  5. Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
  6. Shin Koihime Musou
  7. Rance series
  8. Flowers
  9. White Album 2
  10. Little Busters

I'm actually kind of saddened that these were the titles people most want licensed.

Or rather, it was so predictable it's kind of dull.

Hard copies are for people with money that live in countries that don't have horrendous import taxes, Down pls.

Lastly: Where's my Onii-chan Sharing!?

I'm pretty sure it simply means people like the VNs where the story/routes involve the protagonist dating one of the characters.

Wether it be nukige, moege, nakige, utsuge, or even just a slice-of-life type of VN with no sexual content.

Which is not at all surprising, just like MG said.

You can rest assured that Mangagamer is continually searching for new nukige licensing opportunities, especially after the success of Imouto Paradise and Eroge!.  As for nukige being popular...I mean, they didn't need to survey people to find out that nukige sell.  They have sales data, which is a far more valid measurement.

When asked about barriers to purchasing titles from our company, website issues, poor opinion, and DRM all received negligible responses. The primary barrier for the ~500 people who responded to this question was that they hadn’t known about us before the survey!

You can rest assured that Mangagamer is continually searching for new nukige licensing opportunities, especially after the success of Imouto Paradise and Eroge!.  As for nukige being popular...I mean, they didn't need to survey people to find out that nukige sell.  They have sales data, which is a far more valid measurement.

Well the survey its really inconsistent, i mean people prefer story and characters and still Nukiges being the most popular?

I hope they take more in account the nukige results than the wanted partnership ones.

Its quite an strange poll results.

They surveyed 8000 (that's what you meant, right Down?) people, but only ~500 answered this question? That seems a little... few?

Well it's talking about problems purchasing titles from them. A lit of people who took their survey probably didn't have huge problems buying from then

Well the survey its really inconsistent, i mean people prefer story and characters and still Nukiges being the most popular?

Its quite an strange poll results.

Not really I'm pretty sure it was a pick 3 on the most important topics and erotic content made it to #3 for men. Not to mention that they said the survey showed that the OLDER you got the more important it became and the OLDER you got the MORE VNs you bought per year. So the people who have the money to buy games not only value the erotic content but they buy more nukige.

Well, since most people are gonna talk about opinions on the VN's, I'll tell you what I found amusing.

First, that apparently people are generally ok with digital downloads and DRM for their purchased games.

Secondly, that women prefer Macs.  (How come?)

I not so surprise about the digiral downloads like what I am surprise about is 88% don’t care whether DRM is present or not. So the people who strongly oppose DRM on games only makes up 12% of fans. Very surprise even more so when consider drm hate on the internet

I think there's a simpler explanation. Men are more likely to be gamers. Macs aren't gaming machines (at least without a lot of extra work / expense).

By literally 4%. In 2014 48% of gamers were cited to be female. And you can't call VNs a particularly strainious genre of games on a system which is the type of gamer polled in MGs poll anyway

That and Macs are cuter. Girls like that cute shit.

This.  I attribute it purely to the aesthetic of Apple.  It is basically targeting younger generation audience.  

Personally I found it funny that in the top 10 there were quite a few fan translated titles.  I mean, some of them aren't amazing, but they aren't awful enough to get a rewrite either.

By literally 4%. In 2014 48% of gamers were cited to be female. And you can't call VNs a particularly strainious genre of games on a system which is the type of gamer polled in MGs poll anyway

Gamers in what sense? I don't consider playing Candy Crush on mobile a gamer.  When I think gamer, I think someone who sits down for at least a lengthy period and plays.  Maybe I'm just an ass, but simple puzzle games aren't enough to determine someone as a gamer.  They should understand and think about the game they are playing.  I have a really obscure definition, it's got a more strict entry than "casual gamer".

inb4 flame war on gamers

I'm inclined to believe the definition of gamer in that survey included people who play Facebook and mobile games (which aren't relevant to this discussion)  I remember looking into it before and not being able to determine how they defined "gamer", which of course makes all the difference.

I'm inclined to believe the definition of gamer in that survey included people who play Facebook games and other such nonsense. I remember looking into it before and not being able to determine how they defined "gamer", which of course makes all the difference.

Maybe I'd have to look deeper into it but what they Washington Post specifically stated was that a larger percent of women use computers/mobile devices than men who tend to prefer console gaming. If you're doing all your gaming on an Xbox it shouldn't affect if you get a Mac or PC

I hope MangaGamer licenses White Album 2 because it is good and the fan translation thus far is kind of garbage. Also I don't think it's entirely unrealistic since Aquaplus seems willing to release stuff in the west, so it may not be impossible for a company like MangaGamer to license their eroge. Atlus did TtT2, but obviously they wouldn't touch eroge. 

I not so surprise about the digiral downloads like what I am surprise about is 88% don’t care whether DRM is present or not. So the people who strongly oppose DRM on games only makes up 12% of fans. Very surprise even more so when consider drm hate on the internet

People are much more likely to voice complaints than complacence. Nobody loves DRM, so nobody is going to sing its praises. But as someone who is fine with it, that's kind of an apathetic emotion. I just sort of don't care, so obviously I'm not going to get on a soap box over the issue. Haters are always much more vocal.

aside from that all i´m bit surprised by the poll "which games...", as most of them already have a
fan-translation  for a very long time. there´s always the issue with competing against a free product, but when sooo many people voted that way...hmm dunno what to believe anymore

edit: forgot the one(s) with bad tl like decay mentioned. those are not included above