Creepy things in visual novels

InvertMouse

Many video games have creepy rumors behind them, many of which turn out to be true. For example, the Hell Valley Sky Tree in Super Mario Galaxy (creepy people that looks at you from far up in the sky on one particular level), Herobrine in Minecraft, Lavender Town Syndrome in Pokemon (though it's pretty much 100% fiction), the Ritual Children in World of Warcraft (these kids that stand in a pentagon formation for some reason), the hidden message in some guitar game for the DS (a sound test clip that seemingly contains "They'll kill us" at the end), and many more.

Just wondering if there has ever been anything similar for visual novels :P. Often, these show up because of the developers' mistake, or it's a joke from them. Other times, it spawns from players' imaginations. Whatever the case, I find them fascinating~ There should be some visual novel related creepypastas XD.

Not sure if this counts as a spoiler, but gonna tag it just in case.

I thought the ending for Phenomeno was kinda creepy. The whole VN itself is, but the ending in particular, combined with the eerie art style, really gave me the chills while I was reading through it. Heard it was based on a true story from somewhere, but I'm not sure whether or not I believe it (I'm not very superstitious).

I think that the lack of popularity for VNs, (at least in the west) are preventing rumors from being created and spread. A lot of the games you mentioned are pretty popular so it's a lot easier for rumors to spread among the large and vocal fan base.

Although now that I've pondered it for a bit the "Nice Boat" meme for Schools Days comes to mind, but I'm not sure if that really counts.

I think VNs have a lot of potential for this. Like, "there exists a specific set of choices that leads you to xxx"...

If developers wanted to implement some, they easily could. That would be interesting, actually. Can you imagine your nice and colored Key game suddenly turning into a weird creepy thing? That could make some funny stuff.

Rumor has it that the sprites in ryukishi07's games (e.g., Higurashi no naku koro ni) are supposed to represent people. I remain skeptical.

Come on, this is a really far-stretched theory. I mean, those things have bread loafs where their hands should be. No way that's a depiction of human beings.

I think VNs have a lot of potential for this. Like, "there exists a specific set of choices that leads you to xxx"...

If developers wanted to implement some, they easily could. That would be interesting, actually. Can you imagine your nice and colored Key game suddenly turning into a weird creepy thing? That could make some funny stuff.

Actually I agree that it would be a really cool idea if a developer did it as an Easter egg for their VN. However as for mere rumors, due to the internet and the amount of walkthroughs out for for every VN it would be very easy to refute a rumor that claims specific choices will lead to "...". I know there are people who will try every combination, and they will end up proving a theory with no backbone to it wrong. But back to your point about developers adding an Easter egg, that is a kick-ass idea.

Thanks for the reply guys! Yeah, Metaler, I'd say it's time for some VN creepypasts, too. Who's up for writing one XD?

Zalor, it is true that theories can be quickly refuted. I guess the writer will need to use a bit more imagination. In any case, even if it's false, it's still fun to read about, I guess.

Thanks for the reply guys! Yeah, Metaler, I'd say it's time for some VN creepypasts, too. Who's up for writing one XD?

Zalor, it is true that theories can be quickly refuted. I guess the writer will need to use a bit more imagination. In any case, even if it's false, it's still fun to read about, I guess.

Haha, I'd love to write some. xD