Fate/Zero Analysis

Tay

8603149111_ae09092820_z.jpg

Fate/Zero is one of my all-time favorite stories, and a fantastic anime. As a huge Fate/Stay Night fan, I went into the series with high expectations. To my surprise and delight, I wasn't disappointed.

This topic is going to be, initially, an episode by episode analysis of the show with commentary on the side and some overall analysis at the end. I'll be re-watching it on Crunchyroll -- I have a membership, but I think F/Z is free for anyone to watch now -- and posting updates with each episode. I hope other F/SN and F/Z fans will be interested, and maybe join in with me! These posts are pretty meaty, so I want to start by thanking you in advance for your patience and discussions!

**Note - Since this is an analysis, and not a plot commentary or review, I won't be adding spoiler tags in these posts. While I'll do my best to minimize spoilers to the episode I'm reviewing (so you can watch the episode and read, and not have the series spoiled), there's a high chance I might miss something. The choice is yours!

Table of Contents

Episode 1

Commentary after Fate/Zero Marathon (Ryoji)

SPOILER TAGS WILL NOT BE USED IN THIS OR ANY OTHER MAIN POST. This series is a commentary on Fate/Zero, and so I feel it's inappropriate to read it without having watched the series -- or at least the episode being discussed. While 99.5% of spoilers will be avoided if you watch the episode before reading, a few higher-level spoilers may pop through now and then. I make no apologies : )

EPISODE 1 - The Summoning Of Heroes

=============================================================

THE OPENING SCENE

8603149143_71ddf69f80.jpg

The opening shot is both telling and (in retrospect) powerful - The series opens on a shot of Kiritsugu sitting alone in shadow. In retrospect this becomes powerful characterization of Kiritsugu's pervasive loneliness.

The dialogue in this exposition carries a different weight than the rest of the episode (or most of the series). I think it's meant to bookend the show along with the final moments in episode 25. Thus I think it's important for us to read it slowly and carefully. To make sense of the dialogue, remember that Kiritsugu has been in love with the homunculus Irisviel von Einzbern ("Iri") since he saved her and began educating her, but that their love is supremely tragic: in a few years time, Iri will become the Holy Grail in the next Holy Grail War, and will die. Thus their affection has a timer on it, and Kiritsugu is overwhelmed with the situation.

Maid:

"Master Kiritsugu, your child's been born!"

Iri:

"She's so beautiful. So small... so delicate. Look, Kiritsugu. She has your eyes.

"I am so happy to have given birth to such a beautiful baby...

Kiritsugu:

"Iri... I... You're going to die because of me."

Iri:

"I know. The Einzberns desire nothing further. That is my purpose.

"Yet I am who I am today because I took your ideals to heart, and I pray for the same things as you. You showed me a better path. You granted me a life beyond that of a mindless puppet.

... You don't need to feel sorry. I'm a part of you now. So...

Kiritsugu:

"I... I have no right to hold... our child."

Iri:

"Kiritsugu, do not forget. You desire a world where no one has to cry the way you are now. That is your dream and ideal... In a mere eight years, your battle will end. And our ideal will become reality.

The Holy Grail will save you.

So hold her... Hold Illyasviel in your arms and take pride in your only daughter... as any father would."

8604249376_a7e40c984e.jpg

8603149129_ed744204c1.jpg

I know I'm spending a lot of time on this, but I think it's extremely powerful. In these few lines of dialogue we see how much Iri and Kiritsugu care for each other. We see that Iri loves Kiritsugu for saving her, giving her life purpose, and making her more than she would have been had she been left to the Einzberns. We see that Kiritsugu is overwhelmed by guilt, knowing that his coming war will require a total sacrifice. We get the feeling that Kiritsugu has never known love without sacrifice, and that out of this loneliness comes his wish for the Holy Grail: to change the world.

I also think it's important and beautiful that Iri does convince Kiritsugu to let down his barriers and hold his daughter.

: ) Beautiful stuff.

FIVE YEARS LATER - KOTOMINE KIREI

8603148961_5508b8f22b.jpg

Next we get a glimpse at the character who is both a mirror and foil to Kiritsugu: the infamous and much-beloved Kotomine (Kirei). Throughout the series we'll discover that these two have a "compulsive hatred" towards each other, suggesting that their very natures are built like magnets: naturally repelling each other. At some point I hope we get some commentary from me or another about how this may or may not stem from their deep-rooted similarities. In the end, however, we'll see that Dumbledore was right in saying that it's not our natures which define us, but our acts. In their actions, Kotomine and Kiritsugu distinguish themselves as polar opposites destined for a war of extermination.

8604249364_0840b042aa.jpg

We discover that the Tohsakas have long-been allies of "the Church", and that the Church is conspiring with Tohsaka (Tokiomi), Rin's father, to investigate and obtain the Holy Grail. We also discover that the Holy Grail was built to select masters who "most need" the promised wish. Thus we should be looking into the reasons and needs of each of the masters. The initial motivations given in this episode will make up the majority of the rest of this post.

MOTIVATION: KOTOMINE KIREI

At the beginning of the series, Kirei does not know why he has been chosen. Tohsaka is concerned about why Kirei would agree to join the war if he didn't have a solid reason or wish, to which Kirei's father explains that Kirei is absolutely loyal to the Church. Since the Church asked him to participate, there is no way he would refuse. Kirei's father also reveals that Kirei's wife died just days ago, and that the Grail may have chosen him for more than ability, and may be giving him a way to focus his attention elsewhere

TWO YEARS LATER - KARIYA MATOU

8604249344_650f5bdfbd.jpg

Next we meet Matou (Kariya), "uncle" (family friend) to Rin and Sakura, who is visiting home for the first time in ~10 years. Kariya is the only child in several Matou family generations who was born with magical ability, and so it came as a huge blow to the vile Matou Patriarch, Zouken, when Kariya abandoned the family out of disgust and hatred of Zouken's nature. He's lived for years as a poor journalist, but he's been happy.

When Kariya arrives, he meets Aoi, the girl he loved and for whose protection he left Fuyuki city so many years ago. (Note: Zouken wanted Aoi to marry Kariya for the sole purpose of amplifying the magical powers of their children. This would have required "infestation" of Aoi, and so Kariya fled in order to protect her. Years later, he discovered she'd fallen in love and married Tokiomi Tohsaka. He grew to love their two girls, Rin and Sakura, as if they were his own girls).

"Sakura's gone."

In a truly sad moment, Kariya discovers that Sakura was given away to the Matou family, per historical precedent among magically gifted families. Kariya panics, realizing that Zouken will be infesting her in preparation for the next Holy Grail War.

8603149051_62bc7ba453.jpg

8604249308_5169338df2.jpg

MOTIVATION: MATOU KARIYA

"If you do see Sakura again, be kind to her. You two were always so close, Kariya-kun."

So, right off the bat and of all the characters, Kariya Kun gets closest to breaking my heart. Overwhelmed by guilt that his (rightful!) choice to abandon the evil Zouken led to a situation where such a pure, little girl like Sakura was adopted into the Matou household and infested, Kariya breaks his oath against Zouken and replaces Sakura in the infestation room. There he undergoes an infestation so violent, so prolonged and so dangerous that even Zouken is deeply amazed when he survives.

8604249262_b82dd8f660.jpg

MOTIVATION: KAYNETH ARCHIBALD EL-MELLOI

Kayneth is an interesting character that deserves more discussion later on. Suffice it to say that as the heir of a 9-generation-long magical circuit, he is extremely powerful, and very capable. The series (and especially other F/Z media) give the impression that he never had to work too hard for anything he wanted. Consequently, he sees the Holy Grail War as a logical next challenge, and a chance to claim revenge on Waver Velvet for stealing his artifact.

MOTIVATION: RYUUNOSUKE URYUU

Ryuunosuke Uryuu is the simplest character to anticipate, but (hopefully) the hardest to understand. He's a remarkable feat of insanity, and I find him unspeakably repulsive and fascinating. He's obsessed with the concept of death, and unlike most depictions of truly insane men, he's characterized by a craving for knowledge, not brute violence. He enters the war after finding a spellbook which he believes will help him summon demons. After summoning Caster, the vile Gilles de Rais, Ryuunosuke's motivation lies in studying de Rais' philosophies and witnessing his escalating feats of violence and terror.

MOTIVATION: WALTER VELVET

Angered by the institutionalized bloodline supremacy of the Mage's Association, Walter joined the Holy War to show that mages should be considered on talent and hard work, not simply on geneology. There will be much more to say about Walter in future episodes, so I'm going to leave it there for now.

8604249250_1a5194a14f.jpg

Now, last of all, Tokiomi Tohsaka and Kiritsugu.

MOTIVATION: TOKIOMI TOHSAKA

Tohsaka is really, really interesting. He's the only character who deceives the audience over and over again. If you don't watch the series carefully, you may end up thinking some of his deceptions are the truth. The true reason for Sakura's adoption into the Matou line, for example, is not as callous as you might think based off of what he says for most of the show.

Tohsaka's motivation is based on his knowledge about the true purpose of the grail: to understand and possibly enter the realm where all spirits are born, and to which they return when they die. For simplicity's sake, I'm going to call it a "heaven-esque" state. Through careful watching of the series, we see that Tohsaka seeks an escape from the evil of the world, and his fatal flaw is choosing to see the good in people without allowing himself to fully recognize their evil.

MOTIVATION: KIRITSUGU EMIYA

I've already written a lot on this subject up at the top. More will be said in future posts. I want to end on him, however, because I find his desire to end suffering, and to find a love that will not be taken away from him, truly moving. I think the whole of Fate/Zero can be watched as a discussion on these deep and powerful strivings, and I personally feel bettered as a human for watching it. Fate/Zero is a terrifying, hellish story if you try to take it in as fully as possible. It's also a powerful tale that love is stronger than any evil humanity is capable of producing.

Awesome topic.

However, please use spoiler tags if your not going to mention them in the title.

Im sure there are a bunch of people who haven't watched it yet. Thanks

EDIT:

SPOILER TAGS WILL NOT BE USED IN THIS OR ANY OTHER MAIN POST. This series is a commentary on Fate/Zero, and so I feel it's inappropriate to read it without having watched the series -- or at least the episode being discussed. While 99.5% of spoilers will be avoided if you watch the episode before reading, a few higher-level spoilers may pop through now and then. I make no apologies : )

Readers have been warned!

Oh, looking forward to this, I really enjoyed FZ.

It's gonna be great to read a review chapter by chapter.

I loved getting to watch Saber at full power, it was amazing. And all the fights are awesome! I especially enjoyed Rider's war cry when he rides towards the enemy. Simply amazing.

I have to say, my favorite character is Saber, but Rider is too awesome in FZ

Now I remember....

In episode 1, When Sakura was thrown to the bugs and violated I was disgusted. I just don't get it why that was done. I made it to around episode 6 before i stopped watching. Tay convince me to pick this back up. If its as good as you say it is please explain why i need to watch it

I originally thought it was FSN you were talking about.

Because Urobuchi.

And because it was clearly mentioned in F/SN. I don't remember to what extent but in Heaven's Feel Sakura's horrible childhood is explained.

Now I admit it's disgusting, but then again F/SN is not all bright, especially Heaven's Feel, and the fact that Urobuchi, who's known for writing very dark stories, reinforces it.

Fate/Zero exploits the Holy Grail War concept in a different way than F/SN, in a less naive way if I should say. It's all about dirty tricks and stuff, and showing how a real battle between magicians and heroic spirits is like. It's less 'shonen spirit' than F/SN.

The fact that Urobuchi is the writer might be the cause for a bit too much suffering and drama, but it's still what makes it feel like how a 'real' Holy Grail War should be.

To give some of the objectively good points of F/Z, it has great animation (as expected of Ufotable) and OST (as expected of Yuki Kajiura), and some awesome characters (Saber is, imo, better than in F/SN) and really epic scenes.

Now, as I said, I'm still a bit mitigated about some points, but it's definitely worth watching.

I tried to say as much as I could without spoiling, further thoughts about Fate/Zero would have to be about specific points in the anime so I won't do so now.

Youll notice my edited comment. I had been thinking of a different anime.

that scene still bothered me.

Having it explained is one thing but showing her being tormented like that is another. I know im probably being silly but its just my opinion

Would love to hear Tays view on it.

To give some of the objectively good points of F/Z, it has great animation (as expected of Ufotable) and OST (as expected of Yuki Kajiura), and some awesome characters (Saber is, imo, better than in F/SN) and really epic scenes.

Now, as I said, I'm still a bit mitigated about some points, but it's definitely worth watching.

Oh man DO NOT get the wrong idea. When i said i dropped it at episode 6 i was thinking about a different anime. I actually really enjoyed F/Z quite a bit. It was a little over the top at times but I still rated it an 8/10 on my MAL.

YOu guys gotta remember ive forgotten more anime then youve watched. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Youll notice my edited comment. I had been thinking of a different anime.

that scene still bothered me.

Having it explained is one thing but showing her being tormented like that is another. I know im probably being silly but its just my opinion

Would love to hear Tays view on it.

That scene is horrifying. It's hellish, it's terrifying, it's evil. We all recognize that it's important, though.

I think I revealed my cards too early in this first post, but Fate/Zero is ultimately the story of Love and Sacrifice. This story of Love and Sacrifice plays out on three stages:

1. Kiritsugu never had love in his life without quickly losing it (the first episode warns of this, and his backstory in the novels and drama CDs echoes this). Fate/Zero is ultimately Kiritsugu's story, and his fight in the Holy Grail War is a type of a struggle for love.
  2. The Tohsaka-Matou storyline is heartbreaking, and it's the second approach to dealing with these heavy themes. Tokiomi shares the stage with Kariya as central characters here. Both Tokiomi and Kariya contributed equally to the hell and horrible things Sakura has to suffer through. Both of them, however, in the way they approach her suffering, teach us about different ways we can love, and how Love is stronger than hell. Strong enough to survive sacrifice.
  3. Kotomine Kirei is the third stage whereupon we deal with these really tough themes. Kirei is both the same and the opposite of Kiritsugu, and he provides the background for us to see what happens when love and sacrifice seem to fail against the evil of the world. His story is not completed until Fate/Stay Night, but the conclusion of his story is just as powerful as that of Kiritsugu or the Tohsaka/Matou stories.

So... yeah. When it comes to Sakura, you have to understand it in the context of Matou and Tohsaka. For those who struggle with watching these scenes, you need to remember that Sakura is strong, and that by the end of Fate/Zero, and the end of Fate/Stay Night, she is the ultimate example of how love is more powerful than hell, can survive even the ultimate sacrifice, and that -- even when we don't like to admit it -- the people that have put us in positions to be hurt sometimes do so out of love.

It takes a person with unbelievable strength -- like Sakura -- to come to peace with this, and forgive them*.

*Note: Forgive Tokiomi and Kariya. Not Zouken. Zouken kind of embodies an emptiness that has rejected love AND sacrifice. He's the ultimate perversion of life. Nobody forgives him.

Its really great having someone like Tay here, who is so obviously passionate about this that you cant help but wanna watch this show again.

I seriously cannot wait to read more of your Analysis on this show. Very well written!!

EDIT: I just realized that the VA that voiced Kayneth is the same guy who voiced Dera the bird on Tamako Market. Crazy right??

That is just crazy when you think about it.

A challenger approaches! jk, but really -- Ryoji is about to finish a crazy Fate/Zero marathon and has prepared more than 6 pages of notes. Flip! Awesome! I'm looking forward to the conversations!

PS: Thanks to everybody for the nice words!

OK. After a seriously insane crazy 10ish hour F/Z marathon (and a Dr. Who detox afterward because my brain was fried) Im ready to talk about this,,

Wow where to start. When Tay posted this Topic it had been quite some time since I had seen this show, I posted immediately in response and then realized that i was thinking about a totally different show. lol yeah I know...

Anyway I was so interested in remembering the show (because Tay was so passionate I couldn't help myself.) that I decided to use a Crunchyroll guest pass that Tay had given me a few weeks ago and Marathon Fate/Zero in one go. Wow what a ride that was. I had forgotten how engrossing this show is and was completely hooked from scene 1! Needless to say I have about 6 pages of notes because I know that the conversations were going to have are going to be epic.

A challenger has arrived! jk, but really -- Ryoji is about to finish a crazy Fate/Zero marathon and has prepared more than 6 pages of notes. Flip! Awesome! I'm looking forward to the conversations!

Haha!! Although I have to say that I was equally moved by Fate/Zero. There is a lot that continues to haunt me about this show. For example,what Tay said about,

I think the whole of Fate/Zero can be watched as a discussion on these deep and powerful strivings, and I personally feel bettered as a human for watching it. Fate/Zero is a terrifying, hellish story if you try to take it in as fully as possible. It's also a powerful tale that love is stronger than any evil humanity is capable of producing.

Man no kidding. My wife and I were completely wrecked after the last episode aired and we literally sat in silence for a good 10 minutes. My wife laughed and said very plainly "There is no way im going to bed without watching something funny tonight." I think that sums it up very nicely. We needed something to ease our minds. Lucky for us Dr. Who premiered tonight as it was a good way to decompress.

I have a lot to say about the show itself but I think the right thing to do is wait for Tay to do more of his analysis first. I don't have much to say about the First Episode although I may have more to add once it digests a little more. Ill definitely add more once things start to pick up. This show is a serious mindf**k and I cannot wait for the awesome discussion's to come. Bring it on Tay. Bring it on!!!

In all seriousness, if you guys haven't watched this wonderful show and you were silly enough to read this despite Tays warnings of spoilers, GO WATCH IT NOW!!

Although I don't recommend all in one go. no seriously don't do it

Interesting analysis.

I can't wait till we get to the meeting of the Kings, because that was one of my favorite parts of the show.

If you only live to serve your people, can you lead your people? Are you truly an entity or merely the embodiment of an idea?

Can only people who are able to ignore the darker shade of life push forward to achieve greatness?