solidbatman's Mega Big Ultra Contest

solidbatman

"Mario is easily the face of Nintendo"

i indeed agree..... (ps: or Zelda..... but not much popular)

why must one character in Visual Novel?

Nintendo don't have many game character popular......... so end up Mario....

Vn should have group of popular heroine character instead....

the most recognizable character?

hmmm,.....

I guess is  "Saber" from FSN ...... (or Clannad "Ushio")

Why?

because......it sooooo popular till.... all the otaku or Pro reader vn know who is Saber is...... unless newbie in Vn or Anime field :makina:

Saber is the most recognizable character in visual novels because the visual novel she appears in has had two anime adaptations which is unheard of for visual novels. Saber's character also appears in light novels, psp games, and fighting games. Saber is so popular a character that she has over 5 variations like Alter saber, Saber Lily, etc. and still counting. Her visual novel has been remade on a variety of platforms and she seems to be known as the main heroine each time.

My personal choice for iconic visual novel character is Makise Kurisu, representing Nitroplus's STEINS;GATE.

SPOILERS AWAIT FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOT READ OR WATCHED STEINS;GATE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

SteinsGate.jpg?eaa32f

The first fact that I account for is how Kurisu is portrayed. Visually, one can immediately associate STEINS;GATE with the image of Kurisu on the gears, as this is the cover image for the original release. Additionally, she has a rather unique wardrobe choice that she herself mentions as being a hybrid between the uniforms of Japan and the more casual style of wear in the West. People can immediately recognize Kurisu's outfit in cosplay and art, while the outfit itself does not need complex items or clothing/armor that are not from this time. Also, Kurisu is a tsundere character, although not in a hyper conventional way. To elaborate, she is cool, calm, and smart; that is, until Okabe pushes all of her wrong buttons with his chuunibyou antics. Her appearance in STEINS;GATE is not just as a simple romantic object or a shounen-style bff. To Okabe, who serves as the player's eyes in STEINS;GATE, Kurisu is brilliant, hardworking, cute, irreplaceable, and most certainly something to be protected, even if he literally goes half insane crossing world lines, as well as resisting the temptation to cross world lines. Kurisu was not someone who was always important to Okabe; even in the visual novel, Okabe notes during his dilemma that had he been faced with the issue of who to save between Mayuri and Kurisu before the D-Mail, he would have effortlessly chose the former. The time the two spent together across the world lines brought them together to the point that the Okabe who failed to save Kurisu spent the rest of his life creating a chance (not even a guarantee of success, a chance) for his past self to accomplish what he could not. Yes, we all get how important Kurisu is to Okabe, so what does that have to do with her portrayal? Simply, we, who play as Okabe in STEINS;GATE, see this relationship between the two build from total strangers (with some animosity as well) into a dynamic duo thrown into peril, and ultimately, into a struggle to save the love of Okabe's life. Few characters today are worth this level of empathy. 

Another main point I would like to bring up is the release and popularity of STEINS;GATE. The original visual novel for STEINS;GATE came out in 2009, while the anime adaption by White Fox aired during the 2011 season. While the Fate series is by no means dead (the second half of the UBW adaption airs as I type), STEINS;GATE is comparatively a recent, and rather powerful hit in the anime industry. Myanimelist, one of the larger anime databases on the internet, ranks the anime adaption of STEINS;GATE at number 2; this is a number that reflects both the community that watches in subtitles and the dub released by Funimation. Both the original visual novel and the anime adaptions of STEINS;GATE are critically acclaimed, and both have been getting numerous spin offs and official releases. Just recently, Nitroplus has announced that STEINS;GATE will receive an official sequel (not a spin-off, a SEQUEL) for the Visual Novel and the anime, "STEINS;GATE 0". One thing that STEINS;GATE has achieved that many visual novels have not is an official English release in the Americas, which was done by JAST. Many people would rather not bother with importing visual novels to patch them into English or learn Japanese to read them (although there are "other means"), but ultimately, an official release makes the game accessible without having to deal with such difficulties. STEINS;GATE draws more power from the fact that the story can be a perfect standalone by itself, but is not hurt by the spin-offs and such that can expand more upon the memorable world of the series. 

Given Makise Kurisu's visibility as a character and the continually expanding community of STEINS;GATE, I view Makise Kurisu as the face of the modern visual novel, and I am sure that many people feel the same way. 

When you say completing the challenge will net 5 points, do you mean per daily challenge, or the whole thing?

Guest Gurluas

I will have to go with Saber. Even people not familiar with visual novels know who Saber is.

Although Saber's popularity is due to the anime.

Many VNs have animes as well, but if we're going exclusively VNs (That do not have anime adaptations), then I'd say Kotori from Rewrite.

If anime adaptions are allowed, my answers remains Saber.

Haha, I was playing Fate Stay/Night through again right before I came here.

A few strong candidates come to mind, but Saber would be the most well known character and has been around a fairly long time.

Plus even if you look up her skirt you cannot see her panties, unless she removes her battle pants.

Personally I think if she did not wear them she could easily distract the other servants with her legs. This is mainly because the other servants are from the distant past and such exposure would be considered shameful, thus it would shock them and create an opening. Truly legs are a powerful force to be reckoned with. But since Saber is from the past as well it would be neigh impossible to get her to go along with that plan.

In conclusion Saber is the most well known and recognized character because you normally cannot see her panties or legs. The exception being playing the game to see them, though, in truth we all know you get to see a lot more than that.

The mystery of her panties draw people in.

I see a lot of people saying Saber or Nagisa and her I don't even know. Saber might be well-known but she could also be any random blonde anime/VN chick. So who exactly would be the most recognizable? It's definitely a hard question. As a the worlds perhaps biggest Muv-Luv fan I would like to say Mitsurugi Meiya (even though we all know Sumika is the better girl), Meiya has a unique hairstyle, interesting personality and a voice you will always recognize, in fact, the voice actress has not done many other voices. And honestly, who gives a shit about Saber and FS/N, I have never been bored so quickly by any other VN. So my answer is Mitsurugi Meiya.

Honestly, I’m does not much know about Visual Novel itself. Visual Novel is not popular in my country.
You can count with your fingers hand about how much I played Visual Novel.
So I go search to a website, where you can get some “Visual Novel Database.”
When I see the popularity ranking, Fate/Stay Night get number 1 and the only one who have top score (100), and I’m in the middle of playing it.
With the other answer here, I trust Saber (Fate/Stay Night) as the most recognizable character from Visual Novel.
With so many anime, anime film, and manga adaptation, Fate/Stay Night become more popular. 
Maybe, most people only know Saber is from anime, but because of that Saber is easily recognizable.
Honestly (again), I’m not sure why someone or something get popular or popular itself.
For your information, I’m know Mario from kindergarten, but I’m only know Mario is the ‘face of Nintendo’ when I’m in junior school. (I’m not fan of Mario)

I'm going to go with Phoenix Wright. All of the Ace Attorney games (bar one)  haha so punny  were released in the United States and most were released in Europe, he guest starred in a spin-off fighting game to appeal to the fighting game crowd and Marvel Comic fans, gamers who still didn't know him though those met him in the widely advertised Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney bestseller, and those he didn't reach through those mediums there i go again with the puns, he appears widely (in my opinion) in advertising in Nintendo publications and websites.

Depends... I am tempted to say Phoenix Wright from Ace attorney, due to it's popularity. But most people know of it as a video game, so...

It could be Nagisa from Clannad, due to the immense popularity the anime had...

But, I suppose I should be unoriginal and answer Saber from F/SN, due to... you know... Saber (all the versions of her) being probablythe most famous character from the fate franchise. The fate franchise being probably one of the biggest  VN franchises, with animes, mangas, light novels etc. etc.... Even my otaku-hating younger brother knows who Saber is. Even other people I know who hate otaku stuff know who saber is, so...

4xnDHVl.png

But, if I were to make a VN about say, Mario, then wouldn't he be the most recognized VN character? I just noticed that since nothing in your post specified that the character originally had to be from a VN in the first place... Batty plz

So unless you misstyped (if you meant the character should originally be from a VN, then disregard this answer) then my answer is that the most recognizable character in a VN is..

*cue drumroll*

Barack Obama.

21190.jpg

Reason: President of the united states.

So weekly challenges it is now, eh?

Well this question truly is hard to answer, 'cause everyone probably is heavily influenced by the first visual novel they have played.

Nevertheless I would also say that Saber from Fate/Stay Night is one of the most known and definitely pops up when one is confronted with this genre - and like already mentioned that is because the franchise of the FATE series goes beyond just the visual novel and gained popularity as novels, games and TV series.

However the beginning will always remain the visual novel.

of cause there is also Steins;Gate, Clannad and many more, but FATE tops them all

The VN genre is just so big...

I think i will go with Ever17 -The Out of Infinity- . Despise being an underdog VN (maybe because the art?), the story is very rich and awesome. And if i have to choose 1 person, it will be Tsugumi. It's a shame though that this VN didn't got anime, but it doesn't change the fact that this is masterpiece.