Moenovel Interview - Original Title & If My Heart Had Wings fan disc and Snow Presents?

Barzini

This interview here brought up some cool stuff.

“We are currently in the midst of creating a plan that would allow us to spread Japanese visual novels, bishoujo games and characters across the world. When it is done, we are thinking of creating an original title for the West.”

I'm actually pretty excited. And they also indicated a willingness to translate Flight Diary and Snow Presents c: omg Kotori <3

After reading this:

Saya : What do you think you have to do to appeal to the western market?

Fujisan : Firstly, we need to try to expand the knowledge of its existence.
For example, we want 12 year old French girls who like anime to know about it as well, and make it so that there is no problem appealing it to these girls. Thus we will need to make it easy for such girls to tell their friends who also like the same type of anime.

http://projetsaya.fr/interview-with-fujisan-producer-at-moenovel/

I will never support anything coming from them ever again (and their atrocious translation of the novel, which was butchered and censored all over)

Regarding if Moenovel will localize Flight Diary & Snow Presents:

“I have indeed noted the requests of fans to localize the Flight Diary Fandisk andSnow Presents. We have actually taken it into consideration. However, as the original staff members of IMH (the Japanese team) are currently occupied with producing a new title for the Japanese market, we are unable to create a schedule that works for both companies. However, we will try our best to make it so that it will be released in the future!"

AKA never 'cos the Japanese staff members will obviously always be busy creating new titles for the Japanese market so they won't have time to come up with censored material for Moenovel's butchering localization

Also, damn 'Hotaru' looks fine ;)

grxCpEX.jpg

That's Kanako, not Hotaru. GG 

Regarding if Moenovel will localize Flight Diary & Snow Presents:

“I have indeed noted the requests of fans to localize the Flight Diary Fandisk andSnow Presents. We have actually taken it into consideration. However, as the original staff members of IMH (the Japanese team) are currently occupied with producing a new title for the Japanese market, we are unable to create a schedule that works for both companies. However, we will try our best to make it so that it will be released in the future!"

AKA never 'cos the Japanese staff members will obviously always be busy creating new titles for the Japanese market so they won't have time to come up with censored material for Moenovel's butchering localization

With 5pb's stance on steam and front wing's dealings with sekai project, I get the feeling that Japanese visual novel companies treat the western market like a joke. Or, like a annoying kid brother that is constantly asking to borrow their stuff.

With 5pb's stance on steam and front wing's dealings with sekai project, I get the feeling that Japanese visual novel companies treat the western market like a joke. Or, like a annoying kid brother that is constantly asking to borrow their stuff.

It really doesn't bother me, actually. It's my belief that visual novels will be made popular in the West through the efforts of Western Devs, not through translated Japanese VNs. Visual Novels are just one part of the interactive storytelling umbrella, and interactive storytelling is going to be pretty big in the future. Every book publisher around the world is thinking of new ways to make novels "interactive", and the only difference between Visual Novels and games like "The Walking Dead" is the latter lacks a novel narrative. That being said TWD is still a pure form of interactive storytelling and it still sold many many millions of copies.

Even if the Japanese industry doesn't take the Western market seriously, with both the book world and the gaming world interested in interactive stories, not to mention the OELVN community coming along in leaps and bounds, I see a bright future for these sorts of games. 

Rooke, on 05 Mar 2015 - 04:33 AM, said:

It really doesn't bother me, actually. It's my belief that visual novels will be made popular in the West through the efforts of Western Devs, not through translated Japanese VNs. Visual Novels are just one part of the interactive storytelling umbrella, and interactive storytelling is going to be pretty big in the future. Every book publisher around the world is thinking of new ways to make novels "interactive", and the only difference between Visual Novels and games like "The Walking Dead" is the latter lacks a novel narrative. That being said TWD is still a pure form of interactive storytelling and it still sold many many millions of copies.

Even if the Japanese industry doesn't take the Western market seriously, with both the book world and the gaming world interested in interactive stories, not to mention the OELVN community coming along in leaps and bounds, I see a bright future for these sorts of games. 

That must be nice, the spectacular failure of Dischan Media has traumatized me to the point in which I have trouble even reading a OELVN.  I can't really consider the success Telltale any victory for VNs in the west, untill they do something original. Being the eternal pessimist I am, I have to wonder how far simply carring these big pre-established fictions names went to selling game copies.

Telltales took a fairly OK selling comic (Fables) and turned it into a multi-million dollar blockbuster. So no, they don’t rely on pre-established fans for their success, in fact The Wolf Amongst Us expanded exponentially on the pre-established fanbase. The Banner Saga is another interactive story hybrid (indie game) enjoying much success. There are plenty out there. I’m probably the biggest pessimist on the forum, and I can tell you your pessimism is misplaced.

Also what does the failure of Dischan have to do with OELVNs as a whole? And why would it traumatise you? Does the closing of the many Japanese VN studios also traumatise you? KID for example? What about the many that are on the brink? Like Minori?

Here’s the actual truth concerning Dischan, Dischan never accomplished anything more than small VNs made of limited ambition. They had actually never completed any large project. Yes they had a bunch of potential, but they were nowhere near the be-all or end-all of OELVNs as a whole. 

Rooke, on 05 Mar 2015 - 05:08 AM, said:

Telltales took a fairly OK selling comic (Fables) and turned it into a multi-million dollar blockbuster. So no, they don’t rely on pre-established fans for their success, in fact The Wolf Amongst Us expanded exponentially on the pre-established fanbase. The Banner Saga is another interactive story hybrid (indie game) enjoying much success. There are plenty out there. I’m probably the biggest pessimist on the forum, and I can tell you your pessimism is misplaced.

Also what does the failure of Dischan have to do with OELVNs as a whole? And why would it traumatise you? Does the closing of the many Japanese VN studios also traumatise you? KID for example? What about the many that are on the brink? Like Minori?

Here’s the actual truth concerning Dischan, Dischan never accomplished anything more than small VNs made of limited ambition. They had actually never completed any large project. Yes they had a bunch of potential, but they were nowhere near the be-all or end-all of OELVNs as a whole. 

To answer you questions in order. The failure of dischan personally wounded me, Dysfunctional Systems was the first... and so far only OELVN that got me invested in its' world on the same level of traditional Japanese VN greats like MLA, Clannad, and Tsukihime. I was in love with setting and characters and could not wait to see where the series was going. So when it fell apart I was devestated. KID closed down nearly a decade ago, I don't think that is very relevant anymore. It dosn't bother me that many are closing down in Japan at all, actually I think it will be beneficial. The market in Japan is incredibly over saturated, just look at the total visual novel count on VNDB. Minori's stuff never really impressed me so if they collapsed, I wouldn't shed that many tears.

I would also like to ask you this, cause I honestly don't know and would like to find out, you have stated many VN/Game hybrids however, is there any pure OELVNs that are getting alot of attention?

The market in Japan is incredibly over saturated, 

Yeah, I suppose the market will always correct itself. 

I would also like to ask you this, cause I honestly don't know and would like to find out, you have stated many VN/Game hybrids however, is there any pure OELVNs that are getting alot of attention?

Nope there isn’t (only if you like otomes.) All the critically acclaimed stuff comes with a bit of gameplay.

Anyway that detail isn’t critical to the point I was making.

As I previously stated, visual novels are but one arm of the interactive storytelling genre. While there are no pure OELVNs getting much attention (there will be in the future,) there ARE pure interactive stories demanding the world’s attention (also interactive fiction being praised across the world but I won’t go there.) Interactive stories are Visual Novel’s parent genre, if the world starts craving interactive stories it’s hard to imagine visual novel’s not being a part of the revolution. Especially with so many highly regarded OELVN hybrids going around right now (The Banner Saga has a novel narrative, but it uses second person novel narration.)

While most of the visual novels being praised are hybrids at the moment, that is once again an improvement on no visual novels being made at all. So once again this paints a good picture going forward. There are OELVNs getting made with plenty of attention which include minimal gameplay (like Exogenesis.) So once again there's a steady progression forward.

But no, the OELVN industry isn’t a giant at the moment. The future looks promising though.

PS: My friend really liked Dischan as well. Marie from the forums also, IIRC. I still don’t see what the three of you saw in it :P My friend was ecstatic when he received some writing advice from Jeremy.

They literally do, that's why they censor everything. <_<

Which is incredibly stupid when they don't embrace the opportunity to expand the customer base and potential income. When licensing they aren't even the ones that have to take the biggest risks. If the market grows enough they could start to release the novels them selfs and make more money.

please forgive my ignorent self, but concerning the possibility of a official translation, regarding the 2 titles by said company....you know one of them is a fandisc (usually a bit of afterstory & lots of chakalaka), so what my drunken self wants to shadow forth, when company X already screwed at translating/butchering the main game (usually lots of story & lesser chakalaka content), then how in gods name are they supposed to provide us (the customers) with a satisfying result?
Honestly my doubts concerning that are 10 times bigger, than my fear of wetting my bed after drinking too much beer.

edit: @seriously who the very fuck considers buying such game, when all you´ll get for lots of bucks, is the unappealing corpse with 5min routes left for each character...

Pizza55, on 05 Mar 2015 - 2:45 PM, said:

How do you explain uncensored MG and JAST releases?

That's because Jast and MG are incredibly small companies and only sell their stuff on relatively backwater websites. I mean you arn't going to be able to go to your standard walmart or even steam (for 18+ versions) to buy your eroge. Have you heard what happened with the Grisaia kickstarter? How come their isn't a option to buy a 18+ version on steam? You do know that people have been arested in the west because they had loli hentai downloaded on their computer.