Worst Endings in Great Visual Novels

mitchhamilton

I definitely understand where you are coming from here.

Not just sacrifice though. As you say, the big theme was making Rin and Riki stronger, and friendship in general. This is why I specified that they negated a few themes as opposed to ALL the themes.

You see, for a long time during the build up to this I had felt that "coping with loss" was going to be part of the overall picture and themes as well, considering that is what they were aiming to do; make Rin and Riki into stronger people so they could deal with what they would be met with when they made it back to the real world. Perhaps I was mostly disappointed by the fact that it never delivered on what it looked like it was building up to.

Instead they create a new world.. kinda. My problem lies with the fact that there is no real overall foreshadowing of them bring about this better world. It just kind of disappointed me greatly. I just feel the ending could have been so much more. If they had at least foreshadowed the creation of that new world then maybe I could accept it.

Therefore, the normal end is head canon for me.

Well, it's Key, you kinda have to expect things to pull through in the end. Also it's a good idea to not think about the sort of 'supernatural' events in the game. The worst part would probably be the fact that they sort of went back in time for the true route in a way. It would make a lot more sense for them to rescue them on the 'first' try after leaving the fake world since in actuality the rest of the Little Busters hadn't actually died when the fake world was created. They really like to contrast what the larger perspective with the shorter one presented at the beginning of the game where Kyousuke wants them to get stronger so they can go on when he leaves. In a way, it's not really about them changing reality, but about them holding onto the friendships they made, somewhat like how Kyousuke assumes that him going out into the real world means they can't be together anymore. A big point of refrain was that Kyousuke wanted to give them the strength to live on without their friends, but they took the strength and lessons they learned a step further and used it to save him instead. In a way it was supposed to not really be what you expected.

I don't know, Little Busters isn't super ORIGINAL with anything it does, but something about it really resonated with me, both when I first played it and now. Granted this is coming from a huge Key fan, but I genuinely think Little Busters is their best work, even if it does have some flaws. Also, on topic, I would agree that even though I liked Clannad, the ending was a complete asspull. I think Little Busters pulled it off a little more susuccessfully, though.

Hmmm...toss up between Sachi's bad end and Kanon's good and bad ends in G-senjou no Maou.

Sachi's bad end was laughably bad.  Coming after Amane's, it was just a huge disappointment for me.  The end to Kanon's route...I literally stopped caring what happened towards the end.  Don't get me wrong, I loved Kanon's character, it's just...ugh.  Not a very interesting route, topped with an anticlimactic good end, and with a strange and not very disturbing bad end.

The thing about Little Buster's true ending for me was

As soon as I got the CG where it's just Riki & Rin alone in the hospital together- the only survivors out of all of their friends after all of the ordeal they went through- so I was sittin' there with a mountain of tissues crying my eyes out feeling depressed, but going 'Wow, this was such a wonderful tragedy!@#' and going through the 5 stages of denial acceptance yada yada moving on and whatnot

And then the asspull happens and it just left me with mixed feelings because although yay happy ending, I just felt robbed out of a great tragedy y'know >.>

About Muv Luv Alternative ending...

I actually liked it. Why? Because things are back to how they were supposed to be. Okay, ending the VN the moment Takeru disappears from the BETA world would have had a much more powerful intact, but I think the people who hated the ending might have missed something.

Okay, after-BETA Takeru is mature, badass, and has gone through respectable character development. However, that was not how he was supposed to be.

Takeru is supposed to be an idiot who always resorts to domestic violence. He's supposed to go "Uwah!" every now and then, suffer Drill Milky Punches, be incredibly dense about love and other clichély deep stuff other VN protagonists go through.

I liked the ending, because Takeru was back to the borderline insufferable idiot he was at the end of Extra. Also, the twin of Meiya's still alive.

Except for Toono Akiha, she wasn't my favorite character, but jees either ending is kinda harsh.

Oh god, 

The fact that the ending where she basically turns into a pet is considered a good one relative to the other one is just a sign of how fucked-up that VN is. I mean that in a good way, of course.

Pretty much every cheap happy end ever. The worst ones are the ones that come absolutely out of nowhere after the credits just to "make up" for the sad ending before the credits, effectively ruining everything the ending before it had going for it with some bad ass-pull.

To name specific endings I disliked (and those aren't necessarily related to what I said above, just to avoid spoilers), it'd be Atori's ending in RuiTomo for not fitting the atmosphere of the route, Grisaia no Rakuen's ending just being cheap in general, MLA's ending for similar reasons (although I admittedly disliked the last act even more than the actual ending), or the dumb ending to the true route in HoshiMemo.

Also, all the hate for the bad ends in this thread hurts. Especially for the ones in Kara no Shoujo... come on, those are one of the most well realised bad endings in any VN, how can you hate on them. ;_; There are some bad ends that are honestly even better than the true one, Amane's bad end being one of the examples. Or Makina's. Or the normal ending to After Story and Refrain... yeah I'm a monster.

As soon as I got the CG where it's just Riki & Rin alone in the hospital together- the only survivors out of all of their friends after all of the ordeal they went through- so I was sittin' there with a mountain of tissues crying my eyes out feeling depressed, but going 'Wow, this was such a wonderful tragedy!@#' and going through the 5 stages of denial acceptance yada yada moving on and whatnot

And then the asspull happens and it just left me with mixed feelings because although yay happy ending, I just felt robbed out of a great tragedy y'know >.>

This.

If the game ended after that scene in hospital I would say, that it was sad buy nice ending. Sure, everyone except Riki and Rin died, but they managed to do their last job - helping those two to mature and be able to live alone. But then that ass pull... For me at that moment all that work lost its significance. It no longer felt like a selfless act of helping friends with the last minutes of you life, that author probably intended for it to feel like.

They wanted Riki and Rin to 'grow up' and become stronger individuals so they would be able to cope with the tragedy. But instead, they used the strength they acquired and the lessons they learned to keep level headed in a situation where most people would have lost it, which was the reason why nobody died. The whole point was that leaving them to die, 'accepting' the situation without even trying was the weak thing to do. The more strong-willed individual would go in there putting themselves at risk to save their lives. I mean after all, friendship 

is about giving to each other. Of course this doesn't detract from Kyousuke's actions seeing as how what he did saved not only himself but the rest of the Little Busters who would've also died there as well.

They wanted Riki and Rin to 'grow up' and become stronger individuals so they would be able to cope with the tragedy. But instead, they used the strength they acquired and the lessons they learned to keep level headed in a situation where most people would have lost it, which was the reason why nobody died. The whole point was that leaving them to die, 'accepting' the situation without even trying was the weak thing to do. The more strong-willed individual would go in there putting themselves at risk to save their lives. I mean after all, friendship

is about giving to each other. Of course this doesn't detract from Kyousuke's actions seeing as how what he did saved not only himself but the rest of the Little Busters who would've also died there as well.

So

The stronger the will one has the higher the chance of creating a time loop multiverse where you have to get stronger by dating girls is.

K den :Kappa:

Honestly

The problem with Little Busters is that, in terms of writing, it feels cheap. 

When I first heard what the plot twist was, I kind of frowned awkwardly.

The end of the game tries to excuse all the  stuff that happened as a multiverse timeloop while explaining that the whole reason they were doing it is so Rikki and Rin could become stronger, which sounded tragic and all (even if the time loop thing is retarded), but none of that really matters or is particularly emphasized throughout the routes except for Refrain, so the whole excuse just feels put there for the sake of trying to tie in all the stuff that's happened before.

How did Rikki become stronger exactly. By dating girls? How the hell does that make you stronger?

Rikki never really learns  anything throughout the whole story, he just learns to handle his narcolepsy better and not get as nervous, it's kind of ridiculous that dating girls would have solved that. Why make Rikki date the girls instead of focusing on him and his problems? Is it the power of love or something?

And then when at the end they just magically save all of them it kind of makes you wonder what was the point of all the sadness if they're just going to burst through everything with will power anyway and magically save everybody from a freaking burning bus, after being stuck in a time loop for who knows how long.

There's no real tragedy, there's just a "look at the characters in trouble and how we'll all save them because we're all friends!".

It's just such a farfetched thing to pull off.

Shizuru route in Rewrite. Okay, I haven't read Terra and Luna routes yet (cause of Shizuru route :C ) but...

why the hell does the loli get to be the only one to get the bad ending while others got at least BITTERsweet ones?

So

The stronger the will one has the higher the chance of creating a time loop multiverse where you have to get stronger by dating girls is.

K den :Kappa:

Honestly

The problem with Little Busters is that, in terms of writing, it feels cheap. 

When I first heard what the plot twist was, I kind of frowned awkwardly.

The end of the game tries to excuse all the  stuff that happened as a multiverse timeloop while explaining that the whole reason they were doing it is so Rikki and Rin could become stronger, which sounded tragic and all (even if the time loop thing is retarded), but none of that really matters or is particularly emphasized throughout the routes except for Refrain, so the whole excuse just feels put there for the sake of trying to tie in all the stuff that's happened before.

How did Rikki become stronger exactly. By dating girls? How the hell does that make you stronger?

Rikki never really learns  anything throughout the whole story, he just learns to handle his narcolepsy better and not get as nervous, it's kind of ridiculous that dating girls would have solved that. Why make Rikki date the girls instead of focusing on him and his problems? Is it the power of love or something?

And then when at the end they just magically save all of them it kind of makes you wonder what was the point of all the sadness if they're just going to burst through everything with will power anyway and magically save everybody from a freaking burning bus, after being stuck in a time loop for who knows how long.

There's no real tragedy, there's just a "look at the characters in trouble and how we'll all save them because we're all friends!".

It's just such a farfetched thing to pull off.

Steins;gate with less technology, more magic and less of myself.

To defend little busters, there's the fighting and the baseball minigame that are here to make Riki stronger in everything, and in every girl route, he faces problems and responsibilities that he have to overpower in order to become an adult, capable of dealing with life problems and capable of loving someone and caring about that someone.

I don't think Rikki will ever face the kind of stuff that happened in the girls' individual routes. Like the retardation that was Mio's route.

Also he went for Rin in the true end. So in a way he's kind of cheating on everyone. That sly bastard.

But putting that weird plothole aside.

The whole game supposedly centers around Rikki being able to cope with the death of his friends.

And the way his friends thought it was best for him to learn how to cope with it was to make him solve girls' problems, none of them are related to handling the death of a loved one, which is what RIkki would have faced in the real world.

That's why when Kyousuke says goodbye, Rikki still pretty much breaks down, because none of the stuff that's happened before is remotely related to coping with death.

I know for a fact death is hard to handle in any situation, when I went to a funeral for the first time it was much harder than I thought it'd be, and I wasn't even that closely related to the person who's funeral belonged to.

Rikki would have completely broke down IRL if he hadn't saved his friends.

Also the whole thing with him solving his Narcolepsy is retarded.

Narcolepsy can't be cured by willpower, neither is it related to being nervous or facing dangerous situations, it's an actual medical condition not a psychological one.

But even assuming it's not narcolepsy, but is instead some psychological thing that makes him pass out (not unreasonable to imagine), when he ends up saving all his friends, the whole tragedy effect pretty much becomes null and you just have this sense of unfullfillment, because everything was alright in the end, and it just feels really cheap and an easy way out.

Not as cheap as Clannad's magical time traveling, but still reduced the impact of the tragedy as a whole and made the ending feel average.

Vokoca, on 04 Mar 2015 - 11:22 AM, said:Vokoca, on 04 Mar 2015 - 11:22 AM, said:

Also, all the hate for the bad ends in this thread hurts. Especially for the ones in Kara no Shoujo... come on, those are one of the most well realised bad endings in any VN, how can you hate on them. ;_; There are some bad ends that are honestly even better than the true one, Amane's bad end being one of the examples. Or Makina's. Or the normal ending to After Story and Refrain... yeah I'm a monster.

Going to take some flak for this, but Clannad's true end.

Serious spoilers! You have been warned!

It really destroyed the whole story when "poof" it was all a dream (or went back in time, etc). He had grown so much as a person, and learned to live as a human with a heart again - even after loss - then the writer says "oh let's throw in two more curveballs just to screw with the reader". Thus they kill off Ushio, then warp you back in time.

I'm biast because I like her (Kyou), but if they had taken out the time warp - and Ushio could have been saved at the hospital - I hoped for him and Kyou to get close, as she looked after Ushio in school etc.

People can find the path forward, and new love - even after terrible loss and hardship. By wiping out those efforts... It just feels wrong to me. :shrug:

Well, to be fair, in Little Busters my biggest problem with its ending is not

How Rikki somehow becomes stronger. You can make some arguments for that I guess.

I still think it's retarded that you have to date girls and solve their problems to become stronger, but one way or another he does become stronger and it kind of shows in his character in Refrain, so I'm not too fixed on that and it's not really my major issue with the whole story.

My biggest problem with Little Busters is, once again, how they wrapped it all up in the end with the "it was all just an imaginary world hurrdurr".

They avoid tragedy by pulling these plot devices out of their ass.

I hate when Key pulls this off, it's so annoying and cheap.

Well, to be fair, in Little Busters my biggest problem with its ending is not

How Rikki somehow becomes stronger. You can make some arguments for that I guess.

I still think it's retarded that you have to date girls and solve their problems to become stronger, but one way or another he does become stronger and it kind of shows in his character in Refrain, so I'm not too fixed on that and it's not really my major issue with the whole story.

My biggest problem with Little Busters is, once again, how they wrapped it all up in the end with the "it was all just an imaginary world hurrdurr".

They avoid tragedy by pulling these plot devices out of their ass.

I hate when Key pulls this off, it's so annoying and cheap.

Tsubaki's bad end in G-String

What made me decide to always look through guides so I don't stumble across a bad ending again. Such a nice, innocent girl. Manipulated by Kyousuke into more or less becoming his slave, taking up drugs and drinking.

Man why do I gotta be the one to bring in the Yaoi?

DRAMAtical Murder's True Ending. Worst ending in the entire game. It was a great game, imo. The art was nicely done, the characters well developed, and the way the routes pushed together for one cohesive ending (because you don't understand the ending of the story until you play them all but every ending the game makes a little more sense) was spectacular.

Then they pulled this bull

Mink: Hi I'm a rapisty prison guy, I'd love to help you and your dog lover!

Noiz: You I don't care about anybody at all, let me put my life on the line to protect you and dog boy

wtf. wtf. wtf.

Like when they're pretty much stuck in the game and they all help Aoba, protecting him so he can save Ren it's like Mink and Noiz all of a sudden decide to go OOC. It's not like their personalities were shaped around their specific routes, they had a personality before that. Mink basically had Aoba raped, threatened Aoba before that, Noiz will always be an a-hole--all of a sudden they are like "yeah sure bby let me help you" and it's like the game has no regard for who any of their characters are just to make Ren fit as the 'true ending'. Maybe the translation just sucked really really really badly, but bruh you can't just turn give half of your characters a 180 personality flip because you want him to end up with his dog. That's just rude.

As for 'bad endings' I actually really enjoyed most of the bad endings in DMMd. In fact the first ending I got was Noiz's bad end and I thought it was supposed to be the good end. It made me happy...then I realized it was the bad end and I felt bad for liking it :C

I completely get where you're coming from here, because that is exactly how I felt about the Clannad true ending, the first time I watched the anime (still haven't played the VN). I think with Clannad I was a little too broken up about it for too long; even the good ending couldn't put together the completely shattered pieces of my heart. With Little Busters!, when the Refrain ending arrived, I immediately thought "That can not be the end - I'm going to fix this", and the game happened to agree. Probably helping with that was that the tone of the Little Busters! true ending had been somewhat spoiled for me by some random youtube comment when I was looking up soundtrack songs... ugh.