Worst Endings in Great Visual Novels

mitchhamilton

What do you consider the worst endings to an otherwise great visual novel? Endings that sort of don't go with the rest of the tone of the visual novel. I'm curios to know you're opinions.

Mine would have to be The Kenji ending from Katawa Shoujo.

Katawa Shoujo is a fantastic visual novel. It's about a young man suffering a heart attack and because of it must transfer to a school for disabled people. While in the school Hisao interacts with different people. Choosing Emi's route will make Hisao more playful and teasing. Lily's route you'll notice he speaks a bit more refined to match her. Well, at least try to. Hanako's route well make him more caring, and so on and so forth. One thing all these routes have in common though is they help him deal with his disability in some way or another.

However Kenji's route is different. Different meaning

Hisao dies. very depressing and tragic end to a likable character from a great visual novel. I could've accepted a kenji route were you either become great friends with kenji beyond high school and his friendship really helps Hisao. Heck, i could have accepted even if they ended up together. Although that would go against the title of the game, Disabled Girls. Plus I don't see how it would be possible to fornicate with him. Seeing as kenji has a leaf for a penis, but still. Anything is better than death of Hisao.

Its just depressing to see hisao go from being confessed to by the girl he likes to having a heart attack, spending months in the hospital to the point were it changes him to a gloomy person, to being forced to change schools and start a new life, to dead.

What about you? Got any endings to great visual novels that you hate?

Irisu Makina from Grisaia No Kajitsu's bad ending was well..

Psychologically damaging with how she worked for the same company as Yuuiji did and had his corpse in a garbage bag in her bakery while also pregnant. This will haunt me for years.

As for Kenji's route.

It's known as one of the bad ending so it's not really meant to be a nice ending that fits with the rest of the VN.

Muv Luv alternative.

they should have either killed everyone or have most people survive instead of that wacky word jump where everyone is suddenly alive again.

Probably my most hated ending ever.

(and only sumika route also grated my mind as i could not stand her in extra)

Grisaia No Kajitsu:

Sachi bad end:

aaaaand she's dead. Wait, what?

Yumiko good end:

you expect me to believe he planned that far ahead? Really? And he had access and could influence that many high government officials and important business people? C'mon...

Michiru bad end:

the choice leading up to this made no goddamn sense. Another, 'wait, what?' ending

Grisaia No Kajitsu:

Sachi bad end:

Yumiko good end:

you expect me to believe he planned that far ahead? Really? And he had access and could influence that many high government officials and important business people? C'mon...

Michiru bad end:

the choice leading up to this made no goddamn sense. Another, 'wait, what?' ending

I'll have to agree with Sachi's and Michiru's endings but I really liked Yumiko's

The important notion is that not only Yuuji wanted him gone from there, he just used his contacts to let everyone know and coordinate it, the officials themselves wanted him gone from there but just needed a little push. Perhaps it's still a bit "over the top" but i liked how it played out personally.

Little Busters True End (fight me)

I can accept the other endings by Key, because at least they make sense.. but Little Busters felt like an ass pull to me a little, at least for for the true route. I kinda felt it went against some of the central themes they were building on. At least other ends of Key feel like they fit in with what they are thematically.

I can accept the other endings by Key, because at least they make sense.. but Little Busters felt like an ass pull to me a little, at least for for the true route. I kinda felt it went against some of the central themes they were building on. At least other ends of Key feel like they fit in with what they are thematically.

Funny, I was just talking about this yesterday. xD

"Got any endings that i dislike?"

I quite dislike every each Vn have "Utsuge element". 

(Utsuge stands for utsu game, and it means "depressing game". It is said that the purpose of these types of games is to depress the player.
Most of the time these games have no happy end, no help, no hope...)

Shizuru's ending from Rewrite

I Honestly don't think it was a Bad route, but compared to all the other routes and how awesome the character by herself is.... it just felt like a let down. The ending is a prime example of this, we are seeing core characters die left and right, but the route is sooo hard to get invested in the most fncks I can muster is a "ehh, I hope the true end is better than this".

Kara no Shoujo's multiple "non-true" final ends

I just don't get the point, why work all that coding for another two ends that feel nearly identical to each other and for a character that I feel no one really cared about.

LinovaA, on 03 Mar 2015 - 08:02 AM, said:LinovaA, on 03 Mar 2015 - 08:02 AM, said:

Funny, I was just talking about this yesterday. xD

I feel like Clannad's true end had the same issue,

I wanted to see more of Tomoya working to get his stuff together and learning how to be a father. Perhaps, even getting together with Kyou.

However, I liked the Little Buster True End (Mainly because I consider that extra bit at the end of Kurugaya Yuiko's end to be my true end :P )

All the people that go "I enjoyed Little Busters but then I took an arrow to the knee / read more visual novels" are being a bit unfair IMO.

Jk I agree w/ Ren actually :makina: though I wont discredit the funzies LB gave me (was my 2nd VN).

~~

Sachi's bad ending in Grisaia. Just a big slap to the face and doesnt even make sense how the choice leads to that

Grisaia No Kajitsu:

Sachi bad end:

Yumiko good end:

Michiru bad end:

How about Amane bad end? :(

The way she died....

Curse you, Sakashita!!

How about Amane bad end? :(

The way she died....

Curse you, Sakashita!!

amane's bad end was the only bad end that was actually well made in grisaia,IMO.

i'd take it over the normal ending anytime.

havoc, on 03 Mar 2015 - 07:45 AM, said:

Muv Luv alternative.

they should have either killed everyone or have most people survive instead of that wacky word jump where everyone is suddenly alive again.

Probably my most hated ending ever.

(and only sumika route also grated my mind as i could not stand her in extra)

Worst like in "shitty ending" or worst like "this ending is extremely sad it made me cry out loud?"

If former, i have no specific end i hate...Maybe Kud's ending because i love soviet stuff and i would have loved to have more soviet stuff, but no, it had to be that little soviet stuff.

If the latter, I'll go for my ending in steins;gate because...

Well, first of all because i die, second of all because everybody is sad, and finaly, because the world will die in a near future and no one will save it.

How can't you be depressed by all this stuff?...oh right, i don't care, i die in that ending.

Kurisu-Chan, on 03 Mar 2015 - 2:07 PM, said:

Worst like in "shitty ending" or worst like "this ending is extremely sad it made me cry out loud?"

If former, i have no specific end i hate...Maybe Kud's ending because i love soviet stuff and i would have loved to have more soviet stuff, but no, it had to be that little soviet stuff.

Well, first of all because i die, second of all because everybody is sad, and finaly, because the world will die in a near future and no one will save it.

How can't you be depressed by all this stuff?...oh right, i don't care, i die in that ending.