Visual Novel Orders - Good Deals, Nice Steals

OriginalRen

@ YU-NO: the game can be found in Akiba but it's either the can box you mentioned at Mandarake, which is somewhere between 20k and 30k yen as far as I remember, or either the "elf Classics" CD which can be found at sofmap for ~25k yen too. (It has YU-NO + three other elf games, it's usually that CD that you see on torrents, as typically it was the one used in the old fuwanovel torrent).

For a game so old from a company that no longer exists and you have no mean of supporting, it's really a collection item rather than anything else.

@ YU-NO: the game can be found in Akiba but it's either the can box you mentioned at Mandarake, which is somewhere between 20k and 30k yen as far as I remember, or either the "elf Classics" CD which can be found at sofmap for ~25k yen too. (It has YU-NO + three other elf games, it's usually that CD that you see on torrents, as typically it was the one used in the old fuwanovel torrent).

For a game so old from a company that no longer exists and you have no mean of supporting, it's really a collection item rather than anything else.

I know torrent discusssions are banned now but frankly it's a morally grey area for me in this case. Considering the company is dead... maybe you could get a translated version of the game online and play it side by side with the upcoming PS3 port as I mentioned previously. I doubt they're going to change the plot that much considering it's a kamige. You'll probably get less panty shots and a re-orchestrated soundtrack which is good I guess? And you'd actually support the companies and people behind it.

How expensive is shipping to the US normally, just for reference?

It is solely based on weight of the package, not the country you ship to. 1,400 grams (3 pounds exactly) is 3,200 yen ($27) for EMS, which includes tracking and 3-5 business days of shipping time.

To be honest, I don't even think we want this to happen. The result would probably be disappointing.

From two people who know their shit about japanese/Dies:

0VpazR6.png

XgRNC63.png

Makoto wanted to do it and apparently even approached Light to try and get it licensed for Jast, but they didn't want to. :(

Many great minds have wondered why J-List charges so much for imports.  I wonder if the reason is that they're buying the games at retail price instead of wholesale price?  Usually in retail, merchants buy the games from the publisher at huge discounts.  This allows them to heavily discount the games as time passes and enthusiasm wanes.  But what if retailers had to pay list price?  Obviously they have costs, so they'd have to markup the price substantially above the list price.  Why would J-List have to pay list price?  Maybe their sales volume is ridiculously low (the market for Japanese language games in English speaking territories probably isn't very large).  Or maybe, the publishers don't appreciate J-List selling their "Not for sale outside Japan" titles outside Japan, and therefore refuse to sell to them at wholesale rate.  Just some theories.

Many great minds have wondered why J-List charges so much for imports.  I wonder if the reason is that they're buying the games at retail price instead of wholesale price?  Usually in retail, merchants buy the games from the publisher at huge discounts.  This allows them to heavily discount the games as time passes and enthusiasm wanes.  But what if retailers had to pay list price?  Obviously they have costs, so they'd have to markup the price substantially above the list price.  Why would J-List have to pay list price?  Maybe their sales volume is ridiculously low (the market for Japanese language games in English speaking territories probably isn't very large).  Or maybe, the publishers don't appreciate J-List selling their "Not for sale outside Japan" titles outside Japan, and therefore refuse to sell to them at wholesale rate.  Just some theories.

I still think it makes no sense. Some games have a 30-40 dollar mark up.

• 4 weeks later...

The last time I went to Japan, YU-NO and the Infinity Collection were priced at a premium. Muv-Luv too probably Even visual novels have a standard for market prices, like retro games there.

Are there actually any shops around Akiba that sell visual novels for Win95 and older PCs? Those are way harder to find and I normally have to resort to online buying or Yahoo Auctions.

The last time I went to Japan, YU-NO and the Infinity Collection were priced at a premium. Muv-Luv too probably Even visual novels have a standard for market prices, like retro games there.

Are there actually any shops around Akiba that sell visual novels for Win95 and older PCs? Those are way harder to find and I normally have to resort to online buying or Yahoo Auctions.

The thing about Sofmap is that while it does have its main library of popular games, they have full shelves of VNs which don't include boxes. Basically, they have a bargain bin with DVD cases alphabetically listed, so while older VNs may not have actual cases, they do have almost everything you can think of. There is even a section for very old VNs as you mentioned.

The thing about Sofmap is that while it does have its main library of popular games, they have full shelves of VNs which don't include boxes. Basically, they have a bargain bin with DVD cases alphabetically listed, so while older VNs may not have actual cases, they do have almost everything you can think of. There is even a section for very old VNs as you mentioned.

Personally I'd prefer having a complete set, unless they're already rare to begin with. I found most interesting stuffs at the Traders bargain bins. Sofmap is kinda a hit-or-miss for me. I still regretted not buying Little Busters or Clannad when they were priced around 1200yen some time back when I was travelling to Tokyo...

Personally I'd prefer having a complete set, unless they're already rare to begin with. I found most interesting stuffs at the Traders bargain bins. Sofmap is kinda a hit-or-miss for me. I still regretted not buying Little Busters or Clannad when they were priced around 1200yen some time back when I was travelling to Tokyo...

They are still priced at those prices...