Sanahtlig's novella in progress (Memory's Wounds)

sanahtlig

That wraps up my posts for the weekend.  Anyone looking forward to the next installment?

Ever since I've posted my previous comments I've been hooked. I honestly check for updates at least every day or two. I'm not trying to put pressure on you though (take your time or take a break if you want). I just said that to show that I am a fan of this project, and I really am hooked into this story. 

Thanks for the support!  I probably won't be cranking out 24 pages at a time like I did to start with, but my goal is to get through a week of story time every week of real time (with at least one substantial update every week).  I'm beginning to realize that accomplishing my outline may take more writing/time/scene-length than I originally anticipated.  I had a list of major events in my mind from the get-go which I felt like I could fly through relatively quickly, but then when I fleshed them out they ended up being a bit more substantial than planned, especially as I get new ideas and think of how to evenly balance events throughout the available timeline.  The upside to this is that I don't have a deadline and this story can be however long I want it to be.  So I'll continue generating ideas and fitting them in with the goal of crafting every scene to show something important about the characters.  I do actually have to graduate at some point, so I may fall behind if that eats into my free time.

"I'll be back later tonight."  The voice came through his bedroom door.  "Make sure you eat something later, ok?"  He heard the steps retreat, then the front door swing open and slam shut with finality.  The hum of the car engine sounded loudly then faded into the distance.

The room was dark.  Brian lay in bed, staring blankly at the ceiling.  Sena had left.  His mother had gone off on a date.  He was alone.

The ding of a text message interrupted the silence.  He reached for the phone on the nightstand at his side and muted it.  He didn't feel like talking to anyone.  He didn't feel like doing anything.  It was like his will to live had been sapped from his body.  He didn't understand it himself.  He wasn't sad or depressed.  He was just empty, lifeless, as if nothing mattered anymore.

Brian continued staring at the ceiling until sleep finally claimed him.

The next day, Brian waited for Sena in their usual classroom.  After a good night's sleep he felt like his usual self.  The bell rang, yet Sena never showed up.  Brian returned to his assigned classroom, looking for her.  Her usual seat was empty.

He walked over to Mrs. Weinstein, who was busily grading papers at her desk.  "Have you seen Sena today?"

Mrs. Weinstein looked up.  "She called in sick."  She returned to her work.

"I see."  Brian sighed in disappointment.  Though he'd expected a bit of awkwardness over what happened yesterday, he'd been looking forward to seeing her again.

He surveyed the classroom.  It was the same as the first day he'd walked in: some students busily at work, others idly passing the time.

The realization struck him: he didn't want to be there.  For the past two weeks, he'd eagerly shown up for work to meet that single smiling face.  She was the reason he came.  Helping her had become his singular goal.

He idly grabbed his phone from his front pocket.  Maybe he'd text Sena to see how she was feeling.

He blinked as he gazed at the screen.  He had multiple unread messages, which was unusual since hardly anyone except his mother had his phone number, and she only texted him sporadically.

All of the messages were from Sena.

r u alrite?

r u mad at me?

brian?

im sorry i went into ur sisters room i was just curious i didnt know she was dead i was just joking

will u forgive me?

i like u i dont want u to be mad at me

im sorry i wont do it again

:(

Ugh.  He dimly remembered muting his phone last night

"I'm an idiot," he muttered.  He stared at his phone.

He faced Mrs. Weinstein.  "Do you happen to have the work Sena missed in class today?"

Mrs. Weinstein looked up.  "Normally I wouldn't.  But since you've been working with her the teachers have started a folder of assignments for her.  If you ask someone in the faculty office they should be able to fetch it for you."

"Thanks.  I'm going to check up on her and bring her today's work."

Mrs. Weinstein shrugged and returned to her work.

Brian pulled up in front of the Holmbrook household.  He'd found the address in the phone book, then inputted it into his car GPS to find the location.  The house itself was huge; two stories tall, it was perched on a hill in the nicest neighborhood in town.  A fountain stood at the center of the circular driveway.  As Brian walked by the fountain came to life, as if tripped by a motion sensor.  Spruce trees towered around the periphery of the sprawling lot, adding a sense of majestic foreboding and isolation.

He hesitated in front of the lavish double door at the center of the mansion.  He hadn't thought to call ahead; he wasn't even sure if he'd be welcome.  He steeled himself and rang the doorbell.

After a long pause, the door opened.

"Let him sue us.  I don't give a damn.  If he does, we'll bury that little copyright troll once and for all.  Look, someone's at the door.  I have to go."

An attractive woman that looked to be in her early forties stood before him wearing a black business suit with a tight skirt and brown panty hose, her brown hair bound up in a bun.  She slipped the smart phone she was carrying into a pocket.

"Yes?"  She glared at Brian, a hint of annoyance in her clipped greeting.

"Hello...are you Mrs. Holmbrook by chance?  I'm Brian McGuire.  I've been working with Sena at school for the past two weeks."

Her glare softened a bit.  Her penetrating gaze swept over him, as if gauging the craftsmanship of a product for sale.  "Hmm...so you're the boy she's been begging to visit on the weekends."  She paused, a slight smile creeping onto her face.  "So what brings you here?  The afterschool session shouldn't have let out yet."  She eyed Brian calculatingly.

Brian squirmed but maintained eye contact.  "I heard Sena called in sick today.  I wanted to check in on her and bring today's work."  He held up the folder he was carrying.

"That's very thoughtful of you.  Very well, come in."  She beckoned Brian inside.

Brian found himself in an open foyer, the walls decorated with expensive-looking paintings.  A large central staircase led up to the second floor, rooms ringing the square perimeter of both floors.  He left his shoes at the door.

"Sena locked herself in her room since she returned yesterday.  She's always had her moods, but this time she won't even talk to me.  I began to wonder what may have happened to cause this sudden mood swing."  She glanced at Brian as they ascended the stairs.  "Perhaps you have an idea?  By the way, you look rather well for someone who fell ill yesterday."

Brian didn't meet her gaze.  His words were quiet.  "I had an anxiety attack.  I lost family when I was young and sometimes little things set me off.  I'm not sure what happened afterward, but maybe Sena thinks it was her fault.  That's why I need to talk to her."

"Hmm, I see."  Mrs. Holmbrook nodded thoughtfully.  They stood in front of a fancy engraved wooden door, presumably the door to Sena's room.  "Go ahead.  Hopefully you'll have better luck than me."

Brian knocked on the door.  "Sena?  It's me, Brian.  I brought the work you missed today.  I was hoping we could talk."

The pitter patter of light footsteps sounded from the other side of the door.  The door knob turned and unlocked with a clatter.  "Brian?"  A soft voice issued from a crack in the door.  The interior was dark.  The door open wider, revealing Sena dressed in lavendar silk pajamas.  Glancing past him, she abruptly grabbed his arm and yanked.  Bewildered, he let her tug him inside.  She closed and locked the door behind him.

"Is it ok to just ignore your mother like that?"

"Why not?  Besides I don't want her listening to us."  She paced absently to her bed, then turned and paced back, stopping in front of him.  Brian gazed at her outfit, so different from the outdoor clothes he usually saw her in.  The pajamas clung cutely to her childish figure.  He couldn't help smiling.

She smiled back.  "I was worried when you didn't text me back.  I thought you hated me.  But I'm glad you came," she said softly.

Brian scratched his head, looking away awkwardly.  "I'm sorry about that.  I basically holed up in my room yesterday just like you.  I didn't even realize you had texted me until I visited your class today."

"Are you still mad?  I really didn't know..." Sena looked down, her voice trailing off, an anxious look on her face.

"I was never mad.  It was just an anxiety attack.  It wasn't your fault.  I know you didn't mean any harm.  Sorry for worrying you, but I'm fine now."

"Do you want to talk about it?  I'd love to hear more about your sister."

Brian shook his head.  "Sorry, I'd rather not talk about it.  It's still kind of painful."

Sena nodded, saying no more.  She glanced at the large mirror set in the dresser at the left side of the room.  "Ah, my hair is all messed up!"  She gazed at her long disheveled black hair and looked at him reproachfully.  "You should've told me you were coming."

"Aha, sorry."  Brian held up his hands in surrender.  She started brushing her hair.  He glanced around.  A 40-inch LCD TV hang on the opposite wall facing the bed, showing a paused scene from one of the anime he'd given her.  His gaze shifted back to her.  "So you already washed the dye out of your hair, huh?"

"Mhm."  She brushed out a stubborn tangle.  "I washed it out as soon as I got back.  I felt bad about what I did."

"That's kind of a shame.  You looked really cute dressed up as Lucy."

Sena smiled at him.  She showed him her phone.  "I set that picture as my background."  She giggled, pointing at his "deer caught in headlights" expression in the picture.

Brian sighed, but smiled as he looked at Sena's grinning face in the picture as she clung to him.  "I brought your schoolwork from today.  You're coming tomorrow, right?"  He handed her the folder of assignments.

"I'll come, on one condition."  She put down the brush and turned to face him.

"Oh, what's that?"  He folded his arms in front of him.

"You have to let me come again this weekend."  She leaned on the dresser behind her.

"That shouldn't be a problem."  Brian stretched casually, turning his neck to each side.

He heard a giggle and suddenly arms enveloped him from the front, a soft weight pressing against his chest.

"I'm really glad you came."  The sweet scent of lilac.

Brian smiled.  "Someone has to make sure you aren't skipping school."  He rubbed her head fondly.

"But aren't you skipping too?"  She pressed her head into his chest.

"No one cares if I skip.  If you're not there, there's nothing for me to do."

"Hmm..."  She didn't say anything more.

Sena's mother seemed surprised when Sena came out of her room and immediately asked if she could visit Brian that weekend to study.  After calling his mother, they arranged for Sena to come over again on Sunday.  As Brian tied his shoes, he looked up to find Mrs. Holmbrook's gaze on him.

"Is something the matter?"  He stood up and looked at her questioningly.

She stepped closer and touched his chest.  "There's a hair on you."  She grasped a long black hair and separated it from his white shirt.  She stared into his eyes, a sly smile turning the edges of her lips.

"I trust you'll continue to take good care of Sena."

Brian felt a chill run down his spine.

"I can't believe you invited that girl back here after what happened last weekend."

Clare cleared the empty plates from the table and started rinsing the dishes.  It was Sunday and they were just finishing lunch.  Sena would be arriving at any moment.

Brian frowned.  "It wasn't her fault.  I can't just stop seeing friends because they did something that set me off.  Besides, weren't you the one who told me I needed to socialize more?"

She sighed.  "I said you need to socialize more with friends your age.  That girl is five years younger than you.  You're already smart enough that you had trouble getting along with your classmates when you were growing up.  Your interests and the way you talk are too mature for a child her age.  I doubt she truly understands half of what you show or say to her."

"You're wrong, Mom."  Brian stood and faced her.  "If she were any other girl her age, you might be right.  But Sena is special.  I feel...a connection with her I've never felt with anyone else.  She understands me.  And I understand her.  She's a lot smarter than you think.  When she applies herself, she's amazing."

Clare gave him a worried look.  "You realize that sounds like a line from one of my romance novels?"

Brian ignored her.  The doorbell rang, signaling the end of the conversation as Brian rose to greet Sena.

• 7 months later...

I just noticed that the OP had become corrupted, and the link to the Google Drive document had been removed.  I assume the corruption was caused by the move to IPB4.  This thread had been my hub for the project so that's a bit irksome.  In any case, I just re-added the Google Drive link.

Edited by sanahtlig

I just noticed that the OP had become corrupted, and the link to the Google Drive document had been removed.  I assume the corruption was caused by the move to IPB4.  This thread had been my hub for the project so that's a bit irksome.  In any case, I just re-added the Google Drive link.

I got so excited for a second that this project got updated. Thanks for fixing the link though. I understand that with real life, plus all the writing you do to keep us informed on VN related news it mus be hard to find time for this story. But hopefully you don't drop it entirely. 

• 1 year later...
On 11/7/2015 at 6:49 PM, sanahtlig said:

I'm planning to cut back on the eroge coverage.  That might free up some time to work on this again.

Your Novella was actually really good. Though it's been two years, where were you planning on going with the story, and what did you plan on happening? I would like to know, since it is unlikely to ever be finished or continued after two years of pending action.

Edited by Scasma

2 hours ago, Scasma said:

Your Novella was actually really good. Though it's been two years, where were you planning on going with the story, and what did you plan on happening? I would like to know, since it is unlikely to ever be finished or continued after two years of pending action.

I still think about it, so it's not like I've completely abandoned it.  For reference, the first chapter was written 15 years ago.  I do plan to continue the story at some point, but at best it'll be a weekend project once I've settled into my current job.

But thanks, interest from others makes it more likely I'll pick this back up sooner rather than later!

4 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

I still think about it, so it's not like I've completely abandoned it.  For reference, the first chapter was written 15 years ago.  I do plan to continue the story at some point, but at best it'll be a weekend project once I've settled into my current job.

But thanks, interest from others makes it more likely I'll pick this back up sooner rather than later!

I commented ages ago on this thread. Today I got so excited when I got an email notification that this thread was updated. I thought you updated the story, lol. Guess not. But just know that I am a fan of this work too!