How do you buy VNs?

Mikimir

Assuming you're not talking about localized VNs (otherwise: Mangagamer, Steam, JAST (lol), Sekai Project (do they even sell things already) are your best bets), it can be a bit of a pain to buy physical VNs from Japan, because a lot of websites don't ship internationally, and some (like amazon) specifically don't ship 18+ products. In which case you need to use a proxy (a service or person which will order things for you and ship them in your place). Lucky you, our very own OriginalRen is willing to act as a proxy for free!

Another possibility is online stores for digital copies, some VN companies do have them.

Assuming you're not talking about localized VNs (otherwise: Mangagamer, Steam, JAST (lol), Sekai Project (do they even sell things already) are your best bets), it can be a bit of a pain to buy physical VNs from Japan, because a lot of websites don't ship internationally, and some (like amazon) specifically don't ship 18+ products. In which case you need to use a proxy (a service or person which will order things for you and ship them in your place). Lucky you, our very own OriginalRen is willing to act as a proxy for free!

Another possibility is online stores for digital copies, some VN companies do have them.

Incoming stupid question; what's an OriginalRen?

For myself, physical copies are a nightmare to import.

So, I generally stick to digital distribution. Though if you have any internet friends you can rely on that travel, you could always ask them to pick up some safe titles for you. Someone I know on another forum visits Japan frequently, so I worked out the details for him to buy and ship to me Fate/Stay Night. It's the only hardcopy of a VN I own, but I regret nothing. :)

when it comes to my habits...hmm i´m the type who mostly takes note of new or good titles through various blogs/reviews/recommandations and then due to the very lack of bucks...you know...its like...but...i wish...

but after playing and finishing the games I definitely MAKE EXCEPTIONS for titles above average vndb count 7,5 -  (though i still have to like them , too) and then yes..searching through the web, from amazon to playasia till i find and order them (mostly physical copies)

Incoming stupid question; what's an OriginalRen?

The best fuwa quote ever! I would like the comment, but I somehow feel like I shouldn't.

Don't worry OriginalRen, even though you barely know me I know who you are. Actually, after writing that out it sounds kind of creepy in retrospect... Still <3

How does that work? Like hypothetically, if the combined price of a Japanese VN I wanted along with taxes and shipping cost $120 dollars. I could pay the money to him through Paypal and OriginalRen would buy it and then ship it to my address? Is he even willing to do that for fuwa members that are outside his close circle of friends?

\How does that work? Like hypothetically, if the combined price of a Japanese VN I wanted along with taxes and shipping cost $120 dollars. I could pay the money to him through Paypal and OriginalRen would buy it and then ship it to my address? Is he even willing to do that for fuwa members that are outside his close circle of friends?

Why not? It's not like he has to climb over a mountain to get to the post office or something.

I have someone who basically sells them to me rather than to a second-hand shop (though the actual process is a bit more complex).  This saves me a lot of money, considering how many I buy a year... but it generally means I actually receive my physical copies two to three months after the initial release, lol.

This is a very helpful thread; piracy leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I don't have any contacts in Japan (though the OriginalRen VN Shipping Service is tempting), so I'm trying out JList for this (I think I previously bought a localized copy of KonoSora from them?). Their markups seem substantial, but not intolerable.

Despite having only played three VNs that I did not know how to acquire legally, the initial outlay for those games was... decidedly not cheap. Ahh, well, tomorrow's payday anyway.

This is a very helpful thread; piracy leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I don't have any contacts in Japan (though the OriginalRen VN Shipping Service is tempting), so I'm trying out JList for this (I think I previously bought a localized copy of KonoSora from them?). Their markups seem substantial, but not intolerable.

Despite having only played three VNs that I did not know how to acquire legally, the initial outlay for those games was... decidedly not cheap. Ahh, well, tomorrow's payday anyway.

Pretty much every VN on my hard drive is unlicensed and torrented, but I have a few that I bought off of Steam and other sites.  I'm mostly waiting for the ones I've already downloaded to get licensed (Grisaia no Kajitsu and Clannad) and released so I can buy them.  I refuse to buy censored games mostly on principle, so I'm gonna be waiting a while for the Grisaia trilogy, since I won't be buying it on Steam.