Feedback on Reviews Site

Hey everybody,

I've spent a lot of quality time with the reviews site over the last 8 or so days, and I think I'm just about ready to ask for some feedback. It's not perfect (not by a longshot), but I've finally got the behind-the-scenes machinery in place. Please note: Don't fixate on the missing thumbnails or the few non-VN reviews (that's the blogger's doing, not mine, and I just haven't tried to go in and delete them).

The Reviews Hub: http://reviews.fuwanovel.net 

Feedback I could use:

• Would you use it?
  • Overall, does it "work" for you?
  • How are the menus?
  • Like the layout?
  • How's the functionality?
  • Does having this site make you want to write/post a review?

Seems to work fine, although it's a bit weird how each official review is has a bunch of different pages for news, images, and videos, all of which are empty.

I probably won't use it much because I avoid spoilers like the plague before I read something, and in most cases I'm not particularly interested in reading a review of something I've already read.

Seems to work fine, although it's a bit weird how each official review is has a bunch of different pages for new, images, and videos, all of which are empty.

I probably won't use it much because I avoid spoilers like the plague before I read something, and in most cases I'm not particularly interested in reading a review of something I've already read.

I appreciate it. Lots of great points to think through in there.

1. Header Aesthetics:

• Fuwazette puts the 'other' header links (Fuwanovel, Forum, FuwaReviews) all on the right side. FuwaReviews should do the same (Move VN News from the left over to the right side to be w/ Forum; add a Fuwanovel.net link)
  • Oh, I didn't see 'More Info'. I think that should be ganked. 'About us' and 'How to get your Review published' etc can be moved to the bottom bottom or something since there's plenty of room and the Fuwanovel, Fuwazette, Forum etc see above. Wait, that means theres 2x Forums and 2x Fuwazette links cuz of the More Info
  • Also, under More Info, 'Revigorate VN in the West' links to the same thing as 'About Us'. Lots of redundancy. So yes, gank it! And replace with a link to Fuwanovel.net or something

2. Functionality

• Whatever review someone chooses, allow the option to go to the Next or Previous review. It should be kept consistent; if someone is currently reading a VN review from the Official FuwaReviews team, the next/previous should cycle among VNs reviewed by said party.

look nice,

first the bad: (for me anyway)

Right now it feels a little cluttered and messy to me.

It needs some categories like vn, anime, manga review, this will make it less cluttered and a lot more structered vn revies should be split between the official reviews and the rest and maybe also betweem vn's and oelvn's.

The starting page should then default to the official vn reviews or all the vn reviews.

And maybe it is just me but, the top bar next to fuwareviews with the expandable reviews button and more info button.

Well those two buttons when i hover over them with my mouse and then immediatly go to the right they ten to close again.

Example: I hover over the reviews button and the want to click on official fuwa reviews team, when i move my mouse slowly over to that button it goes well but when i do it the normal way it more often than not closes up again. This is mildly annoying.

Maybe they could be made slightly sticky so that when the mouse moves over somthing that is not related to the review button or the expanded menu that the menu does not close immediatly but remains open for a second ot two?

And again this might be me but why is there such a large space between the two sides of a menu, i can understand wanting to put a picture in between to properly seperate them but to me it feels slightly to large.

abillity to use your fuwaforums account to log in would be nice but is not that important, it is a bit of convienience.

Now on to the good:(again this is my opinion)

the site desing is clean and simple, not to busy and pleasant on the eyes.

This in turn makes using it fairly intuitive.

Alway having acces to the top bar is also nice and makes moving to another part of the site easy.

the choice to use pictures in conjunction with the review title is a good one as a well chosen picture says a lot and ads a lot of flair, one is more likely to click on a review title with a pleasant picture above it than one without. It also limits the amount of revies on a lingle page to a managable amount so one does not get overwelmed by the amount and is a lot more pleasant on the eyes.

Altough this i a very good thing from my point, it is also true i have a broadband internetconnection with no datalimit.

So it is possible that people with a small datalimit and using mobile phones might cry tears of blood. but hey that aint my problem. :P

the fuwanovel reviews section and the around the web review section nicely separated by that extra larga black reviews bar. (althoug i personally dont see it's use, right now it kind of seems like another random review. Is it supposed to be for populair reviews or new reviews or something else?)

Hope this helps some.

Thanks for all the helpful feedback! You've brought up tons of great points so far.

Most of the pain and tears up to this point was getting feeds to work (a commercial aggregator plugin was the ultimate solution) and figuring out how to live in peace with an overzealous skin. I don't think we'll stick with gauge forever, but we're stuck together until the money tree starts growing. I haven't spent too much time on looks, so you guys are sparing me a world of hurt.

• 4 weeks later...

+

Nice design, simple and clean.

Very easy to use, nothing complicated, easy to find things.

-

A bit empty I would say. I'll probably use it a bit later. Maybe we add the reviews on forums and out them there.

As for me typing reviews, I'd probably do it when i find the time to do it. But i can't guarantee quality.