Muv-Luv

Sabot

Are you running your computer with Non-Unicode Japanese? (link to instructions): Yes

Game: Muv-Luv

Description of Problem: The game is crashing at the scene during the date with Sumika when that stage performance is starting.

Your Operating System: Windows 8

64 or 32 bit (link to how to find): 64-bit

Are you running the correct, patched .EXE for the game?: Yes

Have you tried Uninstalling/Reinstalling and then Redownloading?: Yes

I've tried both Fuwa and non. Currently using the Fuwa version though that is available on the site.

EDIT: Almost forgot, my research into it up to this point has yielded that this is an error inheriant to the game engine when played on the Windows 8 operating system and it would seem even running it in compatability mode doesn't fix it. It seems to be this way to me, since I have tried all of the compatability OSs. If anybody else could help me confirm this, it would be much appreciated.

Well I still have XP installed here, but...

Last year another version of Muv-Luv was released speifically titled "windows 7 support edition."

(It takes some effort to program for Windows with future-proofing, and I get the feeling it wasn't a high priority for them)

Maybe the windows 7 version will work on windows 8...

That wouldn't surprise me, but seeing as this is the only error of it's kind I have encountered so far, I would think that if we could get somebody to post a save file that takes place just after it, then that might work. Although it would be a temporary solution, seeing as I don't know if it is just that particular scene that causes the error, but all others that I've encountered work fine.

Then it might be a Win8 issue. Win8 has VN compatibility issues for some things, but unfortunately they are not mainstream enough for Microsoft to go and fix.

I remember Aaeru posting something about Kirikiri not working on Win8, and with rUGP as mysterious as it is, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it wasn't entirely compatible.

It could just be a shared library problem, since MS dropped some deprecated functions in some of the libraries you get directly with windows - especially on Win8 64bit, where the whole 16bit modus was dropped.

Want to use a program, that's compiled for 16bit? Yeah, you're unlucky.

Using a 32bit program, that's using a 16bit shared library? Same. The program could run, but you'll get problems at some point...

There's no way to say more about this though without a live-debug of the problem, but I guess it's a problem like that, since you mention that it crashes, when that special scene starts.

The compatibility Modus of Win8 64bit can't help you there. That one doesn't support 16bit too.