How long before Fuwanovel shuts down?

periah250

So i am sure many are unsure of them getting rid of torrents and i am one of you. I'm sure most of the community is only here for the torrents so my question to you is How long before at the very least Fuwanovel becomes a graveyard, At most how long before it is shut down completely? I'm just saying that in my view this decision goes against all logic.

I'm not busting on Fuwanovel i'm just saying getting rid of torrents is like netflix getting rid of streaming and moving to directing films it moving out of its zone and moving to a completely new territory and if done incorrectly will be the death of Fuwanovel. 

I don't know if the people who are here for the torrents and the people who are here for the forums are necessarily the same. I discovered Fuwanovel thanks to the torrents, but I've only used them for a couple of games. The reason I stick around here is because I like the people here. Hopefully we'll be able to make the new direction we're going work. 

I don't know if the people who are here for the torrents and the people who are here for the forums are necessarily the same. I discovered Fuwanovel thanks to the torrents, but I've only used them for a couple of games. The reason I stick around here is because I like the people here. Hopefully we'll be able to make the new direction we're going work. 

oh god how classy can you get?

No. No it's not even close to being the same thing. You see, what Netflix does is legal. What torrents are is illegal. If we compare these 2 words, they mean 2 completely different things you see. When DeviantART changed it's logo to a piece of shit that has nothing to do with the website (aka change), did it crash and burn? No, no it didn't. Do you want to know why? Because bronies and Sonic fans will continue to love DeviantART and support no matter how upset the internet is. The same is true for visual novels.

Comparing that, let's also discuss the fact that visual novels cost the same amount of money as video games (and that includes shipping prices) if purchased correctly. A copy of Grisaia would cost around $60, strangely enough the same price as a Call of Duty game. And unlike Call of Duty, Grisaia doesn't have downloadable map packs you need to purchase to play the game. So you see, buying a video game such as that would cost over hundreds of dollars, where a visual novel does not cost nearly as much. In fact, you can get 3 of those games (the trilogy) for $120, a price that isn't even close to the price a collector's edition of COD costs ($150+).

And then we can get into the arugment about how it's so difficult to obtain those games since Japan is the only country to sell them, so we need to have copies for people to share on the internet. See, the problem with this statement is that you are merely misinformed. Obtaining VNs from Japan is not a difficult thing to do, you just don't want to make an effort to do so.

Just keep in mind that not all VNs are Grisaia, good luck buying something like Ever17... for less than $250. http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-series-EVER-17/dp/B000ELWF80

I actually have a real stuff to say here cause I knew a site with a forum that is dead now. It was called SimsRevoliution and it was all about The Sims series. The site or forums never hosted the torrents themselves but there was a thread where you could ask for an invitation to a private tracker to download the games for free. Well one day the admins of the site got a call from a site to do partnership of some sorts and that other site was a very legitimate site so they had to make some new rule very similar to the new rules here :D No torrents, No linking to torrents and not even talking about torrents. Well as you can already imagine as I used the words knew and was :D that site and a forum is now a graveyard a few people still come there but they only talk in the off topic thread and the time it takes to get a new reply is ages :D And if it goes the same as for that website it will be 3 years of still being active then 2 years of people leaving the forum and then it will be something no one knows ;D

Sorry for this rambling and bad sentences . I'm not leaving Fuwanovel and I hope it stays alive. I don't care about torrents since I can find them myself :)

Sorry for this rambling and bad sentencing. I'm not leaving Fuwanovel and I hope it stays alive. I don't care about torrents since I can find them myself :)

Valid point, short answer is different market. Fuwanovel is trying to forge it's way into a new market, which is fortunately also barren and ripe for the picking. For example, there are no sites out there where news and information of VNs are accumulated in a readily available place, there are no sites out there with such a friendly and active VN community. And the move to foster development and projects may eventually lead to much activity.

The surveys Tay had received also do not indicate an overall deep attachment to torrents when taking into consideration the active userbase as a whole. The FB post where Tay said he's doing away with torrents has currently received 207 likes. So I think people are blowing the depth of the community's attachment to torrents WAY out of proportion.

Yeah I agree the people who posted here will still post because we like the community here :) I'm still going to stay here for all the news of Visual Novels and of course for my favorite Love Live! thread xD

And If I get news here that the translation is done and the patch is out. I'm just going to find a torrent myself and patch the game myself because I don't believe it is that hard :)

What torrents are is illegal. [in reference to VN]

Every time I see this, I immediately think "thats wrong!" while side referencing any other TL work like manga and novels before I quickly realize that it isn't because we can buy the games and get the patches for free, where you actually can't do anything about manga or novels.  Basically the patch is the translated version and is liable to takedown claims at copyright holder's request.

As a side note, I don't know of any other place that aggregates current translation progress so neatly, so I'm sticking around.  Like I said to my friend: "Fuwa is 'dead'.  They are basically bleaching out most of the non-registered users and replacing them"

The surveys Tay had received also do not indicate an overall deep attachment to torrents when taking into consideration the active userbase as a whole. 

In all honesty that survey should have more than prepared people for what was to come...then again not sure how many people even bothered to take it.

Fuwanovel is going to grow as a result of this in the long term and eventually people will come back maybe not as users but the site will have just as much traffic because where else are you going to get your vn news/discussions/etc?

The surveys Tay had received also do not indicate an overall deep attachment to torrents when taking into consideration the active userbase as a whole. The FB post where Tay said he's doing away with torrents has currently received 207 likes. So I think people are blowing the depth of the community's attachment to torrents WAY out of proportion.

I'm claiming bias on the survey towards skewing it to the people who are registered and/or follow the site closely.  That's fine and all, because that's who they cared about.  In all honesty, if they wanted true data from the people who use the site, they should have made it a more prominent feature on the front page.  I didn't know about it at all until I heard about it after the fact, and any random drop by guest would probably never see it either.