Experiment: Mentors Program (New to VNs or need help finding/playing games?)

Tay

16601799872_fbde8867d8_z_d.jpg

Hello everyone (especially new users and new players)!

As I announced in the community boards, we're going to try a VN player mentoring program, where experienced VN players can help newer players find, play, and enjoy games. The barrier to entry for the hobby is still pretty high -- there's no shame in that -- and we want to help you out. Let me explain how it works:

Step 1. Want a mentor? Sign up!

If you'd like some help finding games, or think you'd benefit from having somebody to answer some of your questions, or you just want somebody to nerd-out with about the VN you're playing, then sign up for this program.

To do so,

1. Send an email to [fuwanovel @ gmail . com] with the email's subject line being "Mentor Program"
  2. Include your internet name and how much experience with VNs you've already had
  3. Tell me if you're signed up on the Fuwanovel forums (and if so, what your username is)
  4. *Very important* Let me know how you want your mentor to contact you. The best two options are by Fuwanovel forums PMs, or by email. 
  5. *Very important* tell me what you'd like from the program: help finding/playing games, wanting somebody to be around if you have any questions, or wanting somebody to "nerd-out" with you or have discussions with you about the VN(s) you're playing

Step 2. A few player mentors will contact you

Once I get your application I'll send you a brief reminder of the program rules (see below) so you know what to expect, and then forward your contact info to a couple of player mentors. Each of them will send you an PM or email (depending on your preferences) introducing themselves, and they'll also give you a link to a special guidebook for people in the VN Mentors Program.

Step 3. After the first contact, make of the program what you will

After this first email from your mentor, Fuwanovel isn't really involved anymore and you're free to make of the program whatever you'd like. Your player mentors are there to answer questions, give recommendations, and help you find your next game. We don't want to make the program too rigid -- the idea is to connect you with experienced VN players who want to help you out and who aren't going to give you grief while you're learning the landscape.

The Rules

1. Both the mentor and mentee have the right to cancel their interaction at any time, and when you sign up to be a mentor/mentee you agree to abide by this. If the other party says they don't want any more communication, you must honor that
  2. If you need another mentor/group of mentors, talk to Tay or send an email to the email address listed up above
  3. Absolutely no harassment is permitted from either party

This program isn't meant to be rigid or a comprehensive, polished product. We're all here for a hobby, and the goal is to connect you to players who can help you get started.

kind of curious who the confirmed metors are, myself.

considering i just singed up yesterday.

And considering i got  a pm that day about it from a member named shirou, who apperently does not exist.

So i am mildly scratching my head right now.

No official PMs have been sent out about this program, so if you've received one it's probably from an outside group which is trying to co-opt the idea. It's annoying that anybody would do that, but here we are.

I'm more or less going to go down the list. Almost anyone who signed up to be a mentor who fit the qualifications can give it a shot. 

Lastly -- I posted about it on FB and already we've received several applications. Woot!

well when i click on the account name (shirou) it says ''this member is no longer active''.

So yeah probably someone of dubious character, who might possible have gotten himself banned real quick. either that or something wierd just happend and i drew the ''lucky draw''.

Anyway could we please get this tread back on tompic before it derails completely, in less then 10 posts. :P

i got new message too , my is Zodai_Strife

it say about all mentor should together and do skype together ...............

privacy will secret blah blah

after 2 minute later,

that person get banned  :wahaha:

so fast ever i surprise.

If you see anyone talking about mentor this and that on Skype, shove a leek into their ass  :lol:

Yep, got him. Again. At this point it's starting to feel like whack-a-mole...

If you get a PM about this or another mentorship program, just ignore it. It's not coming from us even if it says otherwise, and the guy making accounts and sending these PMs en masse is a really odd duck (who in the past has tried similarly successful and odd ploys, such as contacting mods and staff to ouster me, appoint him leader, and rule fuwa in accordance with the United States' constitution).

I've received several applications so far, and I'll keep trying to get more before we start. Thanks again for volunteering!

Whack harder. Put your Muskles into it.

Not quite correct Tay, but the proper description rhymes with duck so ... close enough.

Yep, got him. Again. At this point it's starting to feel like whack-a-mole...

If you get a PM about this or another mentorship program, just ignore it. It's not coming from us even if it says otherwise, and the guy making accounts and sending these PMs en masse is a really odd duck (who in the past has tried similarly successful and odd ploys, such as contacting mods and staff to ouster me, appoint him leader, and rule fuwa in accordance with the United States' constitution).

I've received several applications so far, and I'll keep trying to get more before we start. Thanks again for volunteering!

If he were the fun type of crazy at least... *mumble mumble*

That was pretty fun, though. I wonder if he thinks all the mods have a secret formula to overthrow Tay or something  :Kappa:

On to what actually matters- The program is probably going to be pretty nice! I've done something similar in the forums already (about 4~ times) and I think it brought positive results (even if the people aren't really active fuwa users).

kind of curious who the confirmed metors are, myself.

considering i just singed up yesterday.

And considering i got  a pm that day about it from a member named shirou, who apperently does not exist.

So i am mildly scratching my head right now.

i got new message too , my is Zodai_Strife

it say about all mentor should together and do skype together ...............

privacy will secret blah blah

after 2 minute later,

that person get banned  :wahaha:

so fast ever i surprise.

Well even I got one. The one who sent me was Sakai_Yuji

At the start he said that he was from Fuwa's skype vn club. Now since I don't use Skype I thought it might be possible but told him that I don't use skype so he should ask someone else. Now here's where it became suspicious, he then tells me that I should make a skype account and that it's related to the mentorship program and all about how everyone is already in that group and blah blah. Well I had the common-sense enough to know that if it was the program then Tay or one of the mods would be the ones contacting not some shady guy who has only 2 posts. I politely said that I shall think about it. But voila next day he is banned, saved me some trouble actually as I was thinking of reporting him if I got another message. 

Well even I got one. The one who sent me was Sakai_Yuji

At the start he said that he was from Fuwa's skype vn club. Now since I don't use Skype I thought it might be possible but told him that I don't use skype so he should ask someone else. Now here's where it became suspicious, he then tells me that I should make a skype account and that it's related to the mentorship program and all about how everyone is already in that group and blah blah. Well I had the common-sense enough to know that if it was the program then Tay or one of the mods would be the ones contacting not some shady guy who has only 2 posts. I politely said that I shall think about it. But voila next day he is banned, saved me some trouble actually as I was thinking of reporting him if I got another message. 

Ahaha, he's been going around behind the scenes trying to sabotage Fuwa for about 3 months now. Sakai_Yuji's username was suspect since his first registration, but only accounts that can be confirmed as him will be banned. So if anybody gets a super-creepy email from a super-creepy fella, they should contact their nearest mod ;)

There's other accounts floating around people have their eye on, he's pretty obvious. 

This may be going a little overboard, but we could give Mentors and Mentees corresponding codes so that when this starts Mentors will know for sure that the one messaging them is indeed here for the program.

Yep, we've already baked that part in. Great minds think alike : P