need some help, which version is better.

havoc

Having finally gotten around to buying a new hdd, i am currently going around replacing some of the anime on my hdd with better quallity ones.

Now i was thinking of replacing saiunkoku with a new hd version but this is not available.

I could only find other 480p versions :(

the thing is my old version is also 480p and i dont remember where i got it from ( not important anyway), its size is about 7.7 gig for season 1 (39 eps)

now i also found a newer 480p version by exiled destiny which is about 13 gigs for the first season.

The thing is comparing them side by side i really cant figure out which one is better, and there are quite a few differences. and wenether the size increase is worth it.

So i took a few screenshots, and i would like to ask someone else for thier opinion. because i may be quite biased towards one version because that is how i origionally watched it.

first version screenshots:

hh9LkZS.png

nWroj6i.png

hFEFBdD.png

second version screenshots:

xdiKESx.png

QSoWrsC.png

27ogjoz.png

The 2nd Version seems to be of slightly higher quality if you compare the village pictures. (colour contrast & shading, details, etc.)

The subtitles also blend in better on the 2nd version, which for me is less distracting and easier to read.

But the second version takes up 5.3 gigs more space than the first one so if you can't tell a big difference and you want to save some memory space go for the first version.

In the end its up to you, which one you prefer.

The one from Exiled Destiny has a higher filesize because they re-encoded everything and they're also using custom fonts. They are 480p because at the time this was out DVD quality was the highest you could get.

The first one you have is probably a mix of different fansubs, I found a torrent with the exact same size you mentioned and the resolutions are all over the place, so are the encondings.

Get the 2nd one.

I don't know, just basing it off the pictures (which is a horrible idea btw, but that's all you've given us) I'd get the first one.  The second one looks like it's color had been bleached and for some reason feels more edgy (read sharper with with no smoothness).  Also the second one uses those really annoying subs and have seemed to paste over the show.  I'm in the field of less added, the better.

On the other hand, if what Nosebleed said is true, and you pulled from a lot of different sub groups and the encoding is all different with number 1, go with number 2.  Inconsistencies in that area can be really bothering even if you don't actively notice them.  Plus with different subbing groups, they will translate things differently which can be annoying.

Me? I would probably try to find the batch release of the first screenshots's sub group and see if it's consistent, and if so, take that one.

Since he doesn't know where he got the first one, it'll be hard to search.

But the batch I found was 7 GB and had 3 different fansub groups doing different episodes, with different fonts, translations and even resolutions, it was just all over the place.

On the other hand Exiled Destiny did the entire show so everything is consistent. They also did karaoke.

hmmm, i think i need to clarify something here first.

Mostly because i am stupid and acidently switched them up.

The top picures (first version) are from the exiled-destiny sub. (13gb)

The bottom picures (second version) are from the one i have had for ages. (7.7gb)

My lucky point is that for both of these the subs are consistend so the subs are not a problem.

Since he doesn't know where he got the first one, it'll be hard to search.

But the batch I found was 7 GB and had 3 different fansub groups doing different episodes, with different fonts, translations and even resolutions, it was just all over the place.

On the other hand Exiled Destiny did the entire show so everything is consistent. They also did karaoke.

yeah i also found that one but i dont think that one is mine because i dont have the names of the sub groups in front of my episode name. and the font and subs are consistent throughout every episode.

Example: [horriblesubs] blabla episode 2

And yeah i have to agree with evryone that version two is better.

1. its 5 gb smaller (which does not matter that much as i got a 4tb harddrive but still every drop is a drop)

2. the collors and contrast feels more vibrant

3. the edges may be a bit more sqware but version one feels like it is washed out instead of anti alias. (hope you get what i mean)

4. i kind of like the style of the subs on version two, normally i would dislike such subs but they kind of suit the series in a way.

So version one is going into the trash can.

Thanks all. ^_^