Japanese learners' motivation group?(not the post for joining)

Mikimir

So I memorized all hiragana/katakana and ready learn kanji and the seemingly insurmountable number of letters looks like it would intimidate anyone who dares to memorize them. So I thought about making a group(skype, chat, whatever)that will motivate each other. I only have my Japanese friend who keeps screaming LEARN JAPANESE whenever I turn on my GF(kari) app and obtain new cards. 

Think more specific. Are you going to do vocabulary / kanji?

Are you planning to do grammar?

How will you account for the differences between skill levels. Do you want to do a mentor/mentee style?

How do you plan to use the group towards your goals?

Conversations? Reading something together?

I figured other people would wanna know the answers to those~ :) Good luck in your future endeavors

Sounds like a good idea for people who benefit from learning in groups. Personally though, I hate learning in groups. I often feel discouraged when I see other people progress faster then me, and ultimately it depresses me. Learning at my own pace and not comparing myself to others is my preferred method. But some people seem to benefit from competition (not me). 

I'm a strong believer that discipline > motivation in terms of efficiency

Having someone force me to learn and actually accompany me is the perfect weapon for my lazyness.

Rather than seeing study groups as competition, i see it as a reason to keep up so i don't fall behind, most groups don't have crazy learning speed so it's usually easy to fit in. Trying to go at my own pace by myself only results in procrastination :P

That's why i have 3 daily alarms telling me to go study (5 mins appart), otherwise i'd just forget/postpone it. Turning them off would be a sign of weakness, i always keep this in mind.

And thus i manage to force my ass off a vicious cycle.

I'm a strong believer that discipline > motivation in terms of efficiency

Having someone force me to learn and actually accompany me is the perfect weapon for my lazyness.

Rather than seeing study groups as competition, i see it as a reason to keep up so i don't fall behind, most groups don't have crazy learning speed so it's usually easy to fit in. Trying to go at my own pace by myself only results in procrastination :P

That's why i have 3 daily alarms telling me to go study (5 mins appart), otherwise i'd just forget/postpone it. Turning them off would be a sign of weakness, i always keep this in mind.

And thus i manage to force my ass off a vicious cycle.

That's understandable. It's funny since I find myself to be more disciplined when I'm solely accountable to myself. Also, knowing that I have to do Anki everyday forces me to be productive. I would rather have a computer program mixed with self-discipline to dictate my study pace than other people.

By the way, I had lots of bad experiences with learning languages in classroom environments, so I'm sure I'm the oddball here. ;P  

Probably a good idea, but you should have a study method that you want to follow so you and your group can all be on the same page.

Depending on the path you want to take I might be interested.

What exactly were you thinking?

memorizing 5~10 kanjis a day? Yeah something like that. More specific detail at my next comment

Think more specific. Are you going to do vocabulary / kanji?

Are you planning to do grammar?

How will you account for the differences between skill levels. Do you want to do a mentor/mentee style?

How do you plan to use the group towards your goals?

Conversations? Reading something together?

I figured other people would wanna know the answers to those~ :) Good luck in your future endeavors

I just wanted a group to remind others to memorize kanji/learn grammar and talk about untranslated VN to provide motivation for the others. Like for example omfg dracu-riot is so good if y'all don't learn japanese and miss out that you're not a true VN reader or something idk. As for skill differences everybody is welcome since they only need to remind the others or give out tests weekly about the kanjis they learned. Mentor/mentee relation is optional I guess

Well it's a rather simplistic approach, though i guess it can work if all you want to achieve is memorize a certain amount of kanji a day and getting people motivated to do it. I myself find it hard to do anything without the help of others.

But maybe having an actual study group might be more efficient since you could discuss actual things you learn among yourselves.

Well either way i'm not opposed to it, i can join you and we'll see how things go for a while if you're okay with me.

I plan on doing kanji revision by JLPT levels, about 15 a day. I've pretty much covered almost all JLPT N5 kanji so that'd me my current level i guess. Though i did so by literally burning through all flashcards (75 in a row, no repeats, at least twice a day) so i want to take a more steady approach from now on with less kanji per day.

Well it's a rather simplistic approach, though i guess it can work if all you want to achieve is memorize a certain amount of kanji a day and getting people motivated to do it.

But maybe having an actual study group might be more efficient since you could discuss actual things you learn among yourselves.

Well either way i'm not opposed to it, i can join you and we'll see how things go for a while if you're okay with me.

I plan on doing kanji revision by JLPT levels, about 15 a day. I've pretty much covered almost all JLPT N5 kanji so that'd me my current level i guess. Though i did so by literally burning through all flashcards (75 in a row, no repeats, at least twice a day) so i want to take a more steady approach from now on with less kanji per day.

15 kanji a day? That would be too many for me. I like to keep it simple with 5-10, as I may get overburdened with my other studies.

Oh don't misunderstand, 15 kanji a day is for me in specific, anyone else can learn however many they wish. I was just mentioning how i'm doing it at the moment.

Maybe during JLPT 4/3 I'll tone it down to 10 as well.

It doesn't matter the amount we each learn since the key here is motivation and reminding ourselves to do it. And of course discuss stuff amongst ourselves.

Well it's a rather simplistic approach, though i guess it can work if all you want to achieve is memorize a certain amount of kanji a day and getting people motivated to do it. I myself find it hard to do anything without the help of others.

Hmm.. I don't how a study group would work in a chat group. I mean learning kanji is all about... Well... Memorizing kanjis isn't it? There's nothing to 'help out' each others other than reminding them to memorize the kanjis. Could you give me a specific example? Might actually start off this group after getting a plan laid out

Hmm.. I don't how a study group would work in a chat group. I mean learning kanji is all about... Well... Memorizing kanjis isn't it? There's nothing to 'help out' each others other than reminding them to memorize the kanjis. Could you give me a specific example? Might actually start off this group after getting a plan laid out

Well in that sense you're right, there's no way to help one memorize kanji better per se, what i'm saying is that if one of us ever has any doubt about something we can ask each other, that kind of thing.

For example, imagine you're having trouble distinguishing 犬 and 大 (just a very basic example), i could easily tell you a good way to distinguish them is by thinking of 犬 as a person with his dog walking behind them (lame example i know but just an example), hopefully after that you'll have an easier time remembering it's the kanji for dog.

Just so we know that if we ever have any trouble with something we can at least try and figure it out together. That in itself is a way of learning.

Though i don't think it'll be too frequent with kanji, at least not early on, but i think you get my point.

Well regardless, are you planning on doing this on Skype?

Well in that sense you're right, there's no way to help one memorize kanji better per se, what i'm saying is that if one of us ever has any doubt about something we can ask each other, that kind of thing.

For example, imagine you're having trouble distinguishing 犬 and 大 (just a very basic example), i could easily tell you a good way to distinguish is by thinking of犬 as a person with his dog walking behind them (lame example i know but just an example).

Just so we know that if we ever have any trouble with something we can at least try and figure it out together. That in itself is a way of learning.

Though i don't think it'll be too frequent with kanji, at least not early on, but i think you get my point.

Well regardless, are you planning on doing this on Skype?

Can't think any other platforms... Gonna ask everybody to equip romanji Japanese keyboard just for the sake of discussing kanjis or taking tests among themselves. I think skype is the best choice since everybody has a skype account and there's no complicated procedures needed.

Can't think any other platforms... Gonna ask everybody to equip romanji Japanese keyboard just for the sake of discussing kanjis or taking tests among themselves. I think skype is the best choice since everybody has a skype account and there's no complicated procedures needed.

Take me with you. Please.

Since everyone learns differently, and learns at a different pace, I never really found 'study groups' to be effective. You should just try to find what works for you.

When I used to study kanji, I would learn 6 a day, and briefly review the ones I learned the day after (ex - Day 1: learn 6, review 0; Day 2: learn 6; review 6Day 3: learn 6, review 12; Day 4: learn 6, review 18)