Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon

Flutterz

For those of you who don't know (or don't remember, and with that kind of name I don't blame you) what the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon is:

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-baader-meinhof-phenomenon/

Basically, if you gain some new information and then encounter it soon after and get the feeling that it's more than a coincidence, that's the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon.

Before I knew that it was a thing it would drive me absolutely crazy, whenever I'd learn a new word and then suddenly encounter it the very next day, and the only explanation anyone could give me was that it was just a coincidence, which sounded stupid considering how often it happened.

Actually, now that I do know it's a thing, it still drives me crazy. Just today I was watching Hyouka and noticed that the Japanese word "wagamama" means "selfish". I only really noticed this because Wagamama is a pro Dota 2 player. A few minutes ago I opened Anki to do my Japanese vocab review, and wouldn't you know it, "wagamama" was one of today's words.

Have you encountered this phenomenon recently?

Not sure if it is the same thing, but alot of times I feel that weird coincidences pop up. Like I would watch a anime or read a manga that deals with a certain theme and than I overhear people (who have obviously never seen a single episode of anime before) talk about ideas that are very similar. Or when I watch two different shows and notice odd similarities in the characters conversations.

I was researching the lyrics for the 1st opening of the 1st anime I ever watched and the word wagamama was in it. I translated it To see what it meant in English.

Next Day I go shopping with my family, we get hungry and then the first restaurant that we see is wagamama.

It's not the same but it's similar

Hmmmm... this definitely happens to me. Whenever I hear a word I have never really heard before... I begin to hear it all the time. It's pretty weird.

Although, the weirdest thing was when I had this REALLY vivid dream and it happened to me maybe like 4 months later when I moved across the country. I must have seen the locations before in pictures or something.. because the accuracy of my dream was a little uncanny.

Before I knew that it was a thing it would drive me absolutely crazy, whenever I'd learn a new word and then suddenly encounter it the very next day, and the only explanation anyone could give me was that it was just a coincidence, which sounded stupid considering how often it happened.

I literally heard about this phenomenon for the first time two days ago, so you making a thread about it kinda proves the scariness of it. 

However, considering I heard of it on #tlwiki, it's easy to imagine how the information quickly diffused here, making it less surprising.

I literally heard about this phenomenon for the first time two days ago, so you making a thread about it kinda proves the scariness of it. 

However, considering I heard of it on #tlwiki, it's easy to imagine how the information quickly diffused here, making it less surprising.

Thing is, the first time I found out this has a name was years ago, and then I encountered it a couple of months ago again so I kinda remembered the name. The only reason I brought it up now was the "wagamama" thing, I don't even go on #tlwiki. :P

That's the cool thing about it, it literally is just a coincidence, but because of the way our brains work we find that hard to believe.