[Spoilers ahead] Favorite Ending in Saya no Uta?

Zalor

Which choice leads to the "least worse" ending in Saya no Uta  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which choice results in your prefered ending of Saya no Uta

• When you choose "Want it all back" (aka ending 1)
    • When you choose "He calls Fuminori" (aka ending 2)
    • When you choose "He calls Ryouko" (aka ending 3)

This poll is closed to new votes

I think most people can agree that Saya no Uta doesn't really have any traditional "good" endings. However, determining which of the 3 endings is least worse is a bit difficult. Upon pondering the question, I concluded that depending on your perspective any of these three endings could either be the worst ending, or the least worse. So in your view, which ending did you like the most and why?

To avoid spoilers in the poll, I listed the different choices that result in the particular endings. But to clarify:

Choice 1: Does leaving Saya result in the "least worse" ending?

Choice 2: Is Saya giving birth the "least worse" ending?

Choice 3: Is eradicating Saya the "least worse" ending?

Why are you guys using spoilers if the thread is meant for us to discuss the endings? I mean, you can notice that there'll be lots of spoilers just by the thread name.

I got the first one once because I wanted 100% but I would have never left Saya, nor would Fuminori. The third ending was also really good, from Ryouko's being a badass to Kouji going mad. My absolute favorite was the second.

Saya fulfilled her purpose and Fuminori got to live in a world that was "normal" once more. Despite everything he did, I can't truly judge him considering the circumstances. Saya is not human so I won't ever judge any of her actions, even if she was led by human emotions or thoughts. I won't deny that I'm kinda biased since SnU is my favorite VN and Saya is my queen, but the other endings felt just to unfulfilling to me. Although I'm sure that lots of people would say that the third ending was the best, not only for them as readers but for humanity in the game.

Part of my problem with the old birthing-ending is that I just can't know if it was bad or not. Yes, humanity is turned into something monstrous by their own definition, but there's no telling whether the resultant species will be worse or better off than the species they came from. The race Saya comes from is implied to have highly advanced technology and/or magic, for one. Do I emotionally feel the extinction of the human race as we know it like this to be offputting? Yes. But that's just a silly human point of view.

In the end I think I liked Kouji's best, but without Saya's ending SnU wouldn't be complete.

Note that I read the fan translation, and that there might be things that were made a bit clearer in the official release.

Regarding spoiler tags, I'm used to using them by nature. But you guys raise fair points. I added a huge warning in my title post. So you don't need to use spoiler tags in this thread anymore!

I consider the ending where Saya and Fuminori die horrible, painful deaths to be the canonical ending.

At the halfway point, you can no longer sympathize with Fuminori and immediately want him dead.

Regarding spoiler tags, I'm used to using them by nature. But you guys raise fair points. I added a huge warning in my title post. So you don't need to use spoiler tags in this thread anymore!

I held this view as well. I was able to empathize and justify a lot of what Fuminori did for a while, but eventually it got to the point where I wanted to see him die. His raping Yoh was the point where I seriously started to hate him. I just can't find a way to justify that deed.

However while I hated Fuminori, I still liked Saya since you can't really hold her accountable. That's the main reason why I prefer the 2nd ending, since its the ending that fulfills Saya's wishes.  

I liked Saya at first.

Then she brutally murdered Oumi and devoured her corpse.

After that she gave Fuminori's neighbour the same condition he has, which resulted in the neighbour killing his whole family, then raping Saya.

Not to mention how she tortured and molested Yoh, turning her into whatever she herself is.

Yoh's description of that form was something along the lines of every moment being torture and a living hell.

Saya is shown to be highly intelligent.

She does understand right from wrong, making her deserving of the horrible death she got.

Sure, but again, Saya is a highly intelligent being who can skim through literature and absorb knowledge at a glance.

She should be able to know what is morally right and wrong in human society.

Saying she's simply higher on the food chain isn't really justified, all things considered.

It's been a while since I went through Saya no Uta, but I'm pretty sure Ogai taught her all manner of things about the world and human society.

I liked the second one the most. I couldn't help it but root for both Saya and Fuminori no matter how out of hand they got; part of that was because I absolutely love stories that aren't afraid to deviate from what's 'right', so I was extremely happy that the story didn't back down and just went with the flow, and the other part of that was because I felt the story was written so well that even when the perspective got so cruelly distorted by the end, I felt like I could still understand (and even sympathise to a certain extent) with the characters, wanting them to make the 'best out of their situation'.

The third ending felt like the previously mentioned 'backing down', but it was honestly done so well, practically overflowing with the classic horror atmosphere, that I like it almost as much as the second one too.

Always thinked that the ending 2, of the normal character surviving but becoming paranoid and crazy, was more in line with the lovecraftian horror style. But i like ending 1 and 3 too.

In 1 there's the contrast between the chaos Fuminori lived (and almost drive him to suicide) and the pure white, but even more mad-inducing and ostracizing asylum.

While the idea of saya and fuminori having their own climax is cool, i liked the ending 3 more for the Ryouko endnote. It looks painted in 1954 "i am legend" references.

• 3 years later...

I believe what the game says is the bad aunt which is when saya gives birth and dies is the Past ending because when you play through the game it's told in a way that you sympathize with fumi Nori. I also got the first ending which was when he was put in the Asylum I found that ending to be just as satisfying but again the second ending is the best. The third ending which everyone keeps talking about is when both of them die harbel deaths I believe is absolutely the worst ending. I have no desire to play through that ending and I do not think I will play through that ending because to me it just deeply saddens me. I cried during the second ending because it was just so beautiful sure the entire human race was completely destroyed but who's to say that the new racism better it is said that they are much more intelligent and have much more advanced technology. When humans kill off species we well most of us don't feel any remorse for this species that we have just killed so why should the aliens who have come to our Dimension feel remorse for killing our species it's basically just hunting us down. Humans constantly fight and kill each other for space so just think of the human race as a country and the alien race as another country fighting for dominance and the alien races country wins.

• 5 months later...