Unpopular Opinions About VN's

Funyarinpa

kratoscar2008, on 19 Feb 2015 - 5:03 PM, said:kratoscar2008, on 19 Feb 2015 - 5:03 PM, said:

And thats the problem, i dont know at wich point a visual novel HAD to add an heroine to branch routes. A problem with that is most of the time the route falls or stand based on the heroine. The heroine steals the spotlight, some characters outright dissapears as to not steal the heroine spotlight (like say other heroines), if the heroine sucks the route goes down with it and of course having to shoehorn romantic events.

Of course there are exceptions but i think VNs should stop being about fugging/romancing heroines and tell an story about the world and its inner workings, but not alongside an heroine as the centerpiece of it. A VN equivalent of those series i mentioned would be really cool in my opinion.

I see what you are getting at, but no company in their right mind would greenlight a project such as that. Companies know that there is a safe formula to follow when making vns. Cute girl routes +romance + usually fudging at the end = decent sales regardless of the story. Not to mention that it is alot easier to write for a typical romance story. When someone tries to deviate from the common path...... alot of the times they fail and fail pretty hard. Minori has to rely on Mangamer of all things to fund its' moege that failed to sell in Japan. There was also that recent disaster with dysfunctional systems, which yes poor management of kickstarter funds were the problem this time, but the reason a kickstarter was needed at all was because the first episode failed to sell.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, I'm just saying it will be a cold day in hell before the common practice is changed.

In short stealing another persons' lover.

More specifically NTR or netorare is someone else stealing the protagonist's love interest, whereas netori is the protagonist stealing someone else's love interest.  It's generally considered more extreme than cheating, as cheating means that the protagonist is still together with the love interest (generally).

Of course there are exceptions but i think VNs should stop being about fugging/romancing heroines and tell an story about the world and its inner workings, but not alongside an heroine as the centerpiece of it. A VN equivalent of those series i mentioned would be really cool in my opinion.

There is a VN like that. It's called Wikipedia.

Liarsoft's VNs are - at least the ones that I've read - most focused on the plot and world's development, but still with the possibility of dating the girls, or at least having sex with some of them. So, kratoscar2008, you should probably try one of them, Sekien no Inganock being my suggestion.

Regarding the topic, I just remembered that I disliked Saya no Uta and didn't even finish it. The gory setting had me interested, but after some revealing, the story became boring and I started Rewrite. So many people praise this one, but meh, it's a bad novel.

If my Heart had Wings is blatantly designed for people with a wheelchair fetish...

Maybe this is naive of me, or maybe I'm just attributing a "to the exclusion of all others" to your quotation which you didn't intend (though it certainly seems implied), but I find it hard to believe that "VN players with a wheelchair fetish" is such a high-dollar market that anybody would consciously design a commercial VN (or even a route in a commercial VN) around that single, specific fetish.

Maybe this is naive of me, or maybe I'm just attributing a "to the exclusion of all others" to your quotation which you didn't intend (though it certainly seems implied), but I find it hard to believe that "VN players with a wheelchair fetish" is such a high-dollar market that anybody would consciously design a commercial VN (or even a route in a commercial VN) around that single, specific fetish.

While I agree that it probably wasn't built entirely around, a wheelchair fetish, I DO believe that it was probably tossed around very early on.  Probably right after "Women", "Gliders", "School", and "Dorm".

1. Hoshimemo is shit. Every other character is just filler/build-up to get in your way on your quest for

Yume

2010-09-13-323726.jpeg

That includes that little loli twat too.

2. 'Rewrite' is the best shit since sliced bread and nothing will ever surpass it forever in a gillion years.

3. All MCs should be voiced.

4. VNs actually don't help you learn Japanese. You actually need to take your thumb out of your arse and study hard.

All MCs should be nameable.

Too bad this is impossible with modern technology.  Having any character attempt to voice the name would completely break any sentence flow due to it having to be procedurally generated for that specific situation.  This would only ever work if all the other characters used the pronoun which would be highly unrealistic, or if the game was invocal which would also probably be incredibly unpopular.  Congratz on your probably unintended implied unpopular opinion!

Too bad this is impossible with modern technology.  Having any character attempt to voice the name would completely break any sentence flow due to it having to be procedurally generated for that specific situation.  This would only ever work if all the other characters used the pronoun which would be highly unrealistic, or if the game was invocal which would also probably be incredibly unpopular.  Congratz on your probably unintended implied unpopular opinion!

There doesnt need to be that technology, in my opinion if the MC is already unvoiced the flow of the voice is still interupted so ommiting the name voice should not be that jarring. Besides VNs are already pretty unrealistic so i dont see how that should be a concern. And leaving the default name voiced should make everyone happy (like in Canvas 2).

Believe me it WAS intended, my opinion its not really popular here in fuwanovel. 

Clephas imcomming.

I'd argue that you're wrong (but that's your opinion) in that breaking the flow by leaving a blank is comparable to leaving out a word.  When a character speaks, they speak in complete sentences, which is then ended in a complete fashion.  Having them go cold in the middle of that flow is far more jarring then having a complete thought ended.  But again that's just ____'s opinion.  

The second thing is that which I would call objectively wrong, is the fact that just because the VN's are unrealistic doesn't make it okay for the writing to be.  If the writing doesn't match the setting, you have a broken narrative.  Imagine a wedding scene for example, using the second person pronoun to address the main character when they are getting married would be absolutely ridiculous.  You can only skirt around not having a name so much.  

I've never played Canvas 2 so I won't comment on that subject.

Unless that's the point and the MC is an AI who always talks that way ˙ ͜ʟ˙

It wouldn't be the MC, but rather every other character XD

Here's another opinion:

I think that animation of anything other than moving static sprites looks awful.  I can't explain to you how many times I cringed while watching the background of SakuSaku's student council room door open and close with the characters moving with it.  I much rather prefer the way Ell moved in My Girlfriend is the President.