Unpopular Opinions About VN's

Funyarinpa

I hated that turkey scene.  I thought it was stupid because of how unrealistic it was.  The scene that came after was nice, but going at that speed, the moment he flung the turkey it would have been thrown backwards by the wind (as far as I understand physics), so unless he stuffed it directly into the turbine, I don't think that was even remotely possible.

What exactly do you mean by blown away? His accuracy is retarded, but there's nothing saying you can't do this with absurd luck or skill. The chicken is just as affected by Newton's first law as everything else (alright, maybe this only works non-quantum).

My biggest unpopular opinion is that Steins;Gate is not nearly as good as everyone says it is. I went in with really high expectations. After about an hour of playing I wanted to strangle Okabe. Pretty much all of the characters annoyed me to different extents, especially Mayuri. The only character I genuinely liked was Kurisu. She was actually a really good, interesting character. If only the rest of the characters could have been like her... And the plot was draggy. The only things going for that VN are the beautiful art and Kurisu. I have no idea how I even got through the entire thing.

Romantic love is overrated, overused, and mostly badly done. Overrated because other interpersonal relationships, such as friendship, are much more beautiful. Overused, because there are too many VNs and other storytelling media that have romance as a central element (there should be more friendship routes).

And badly done because... Let me point out. In VNs: too much ichaicha, with little "real" romance. In LNs: romance is too slow. Anime and manga are the same thing. And Western stuff: too much appeal to the "sexual" side AND most men are flirty jerks and most women are bitches. Hardly ever there are good romantic scenes or couples with real chemistry.

I'm not saying there aren't exceptions. There are great romances, but ironically, most never come from a story that's centered around romance, and those are very rare.

(Hysterical laugther) So you are telling me that not only do you think comedy is a waste a time, but romance is also crap? Quite the hipster arn't we :illya:. Either that or we may have a sociopath on our hands, in which case my condolences.  

It is entirely possible that you actually believe every word you say, but from my observations (and distrusting nature) it seems that you are trying waaaaay too hard to stand out. Proceed to act hurt and reply that you were "just stating my opinion" and that I'm calling you a lier.

Romantic love is overrated, overused, and mostly badly done. Overrated because other interpersonal relationships, such as friendship, are much more beautiful. Overused, because there are too many VNs and other storytelling media that have romance as a central element (there should be more friendship routes).

And badly done because... Let me point out. In VNs: too much ichaicha, with little "real" romance. In LNs: romance is too slow. Anime and manga are the same thing. And Western stuff: too much appeal to the "sexual" side AND most men are flirty jerks and most women are bitches. Hardly ever there are good romantic scenes or couples with real chemistry.

I'm not saying there aren't exceptions. There are great romances, but ironically, most never come from a story that's centered around romance, and those are very rare.

I agree with starlessn1ght that romance is unnecessarily overused.

I have no problem with romance or icha-icha itself though it becomes really boring to read a couple getting all ichaicha for hours and hours on end. I think that it should be in moderated amounts and not just all over the place, if it's too frequent it loses it's charm. 

The major problem with romance is that people think that some sort of romance just needs to be there in whatever we are reading/watching. Romance like other things doesn't feel good at all if it's forced. That trend is especially there in animes and to an extent in vns(vns do execute romance better than animes so it isn't that bad).

And after a while of seeing romance literally everywhere you just kinda get worn out of it.

The problem in vns is that there is tooo much of romance. Any romance vn just has tons and tons of icha-icha with absolutely nothing else. And plus they add in tons of pointless drama. Some drama is good but as I said over-saturation of anything makes reading it painful.

I for one prefer it when romance is a sub-genre and not the major emphasis of the vn(or anime).

Any romance vn just has tons and tons of icha-icha with absolutely nothing else. And plus they add in tons of pointless drama. Some drama is good but as I said over-saturation of anything makes reading it painful.

...Because it is a ROMANCE vn? Of course it will be focused on romance and drama. Do you watch Titanic and complain about its lack of gunfight and explosion?

If you don't like too much romance, then don't read romance vn. Simple.

...Because it is a ROMANCE vn? Of course it will be focused on romance and drama. Do you watch Titanic and complain about its lack of gunfight and explosion?

If you don't like too much romance, then don't read romance vn. Simple.

I guess I didn't word it properly.

I didn't say that it shouldn't focus on romance and drama. I wanted to say that it should have it but also try and keep some variety to keep things interesting. I don't dislike romance, just that repeating the same thing over and over with little or no new content feels pretty boring that's all. And thing with drama is that generally it's too pointless and unnecessary. Again the same thing, it shouldn't be there just for sake of it. If you are putting things in do it properly.

And besides my major complaint is the forced introduction of romance in all works in general. 

Yeah dw, he doesn't. His VNDB is missing HoshiMemo, Konosora, Princess Evangile...etc. :vinty:

(Heretic!!)

Well they are on my wishlist, though I do prefer things with a more adventure-esque theme to pure romance.

Majikoi is a 5/10 game. It has great moments, yes, but overall it isn't all that impressive. IMHO it does not deserve very high a place in the hallmark of VN's.

my reason being, when something stupid happens in most vn's it's funny because something stupid happened, when something stupid happens in majikoi it's just... well normal, that being said i have yet to finish the game

Majikoi is a 5/10 game. It has great moments, yes, but overall it isn't all that impressive. IMHO it does not deserve very high a place in the hallmark of VN's.

my reason being, when something stupid happens in most vn's it's funny because something stupid happened, when something stupid happens in majikoi it's just... well normal, that being said i have yet to finish the game

Haven't read IMHO so can't comment on it.

But Majikoi is definitely not 5/10. It's one the best vns I've played till date.

I don't really see why one won't like Majikoi, I mean it's got all that you would ask for - comedy, romance, action. And it does all of them pretty well.

The only way you can dislike it is if you go into it expecting some super-serious plot.

The reason you gave, namely saying that you didn't like the comedy. Myself and many people do think that the comedy in Majikoi is top-notch. 

INSERT VISUAL NOVEL HERE is a LOWER THAN ONE MIGHT USUALLY RATE SAID GAME/10 game. It has great moments, yes, but overall it isn't all that impressive. IMHO it does not deserve very high a place in the hallmark of VN's.

Actually I should've just added Clannad to that meme with a score of zero because I honestly couldn't bother actually playing more than an hour. 

Romance is needed for a visual novel to be great, but a story simply about love should never be scored a 10. Most stories that have love as the singular theme always tend to rely on the same cliche problems, disasters, or general plotlines and are never unpredictable. In my opinion, being able to guess the story from the beginning with absolute certainty means the story isn't entirely great. 

Also am I the only one who randomly stalls a game/show/VN for no real reason? I have the time and it interests me, but I'll just... stall something and play another game even though I am not tired or wanting to take a break. Maybe I'm weird? 

The problem in vns is that there is tooo much of romance. Any romance vn just has tons and tons of icha-icha with absolutely nothing else. And plus they add in tons of pointless drama. Some drama is good but as I said over-saturation of anything makes reading it painful.

I know where you are getting at and honestly I would like to see a good vn that was not romance focused, not set in a highschool, and had adult characters. I will never have this, because we live in a world in which the iron curtain fell and the capitalist took over. Class warfare aside, vns are targeted to a certain demographic..... the lonely, have no decent memories of highschool, stuck forever in the mindset of a hermit demographic. Who are consistantly purchasing surrogate highschool memories in order to forget their real memories and to keep them emotionally afloat (aka delaying the online search for "How to tie a hangman's noose"). No "self respecting" vn company would try something that deviates from the patteren, cause the pattern sells and the unknown might not (also all the evacuated bowls would stink up the place if they gave the sad lowlifes a chance to reflect on their lives).  

I know where you are getting at and honestly I would like to see a good vn that was not romance focused, not set in a highschool, and had adult characters. I will never have this, because we live in a world in which the iron curtain fell and the capitalist took over. Class warfare aside, vns are targeted to a certain demographic..... the lonely, have no decent memories of highschool, stuck forever in the mindset of a hermit demographic. Who are consistantly purchasing surrogate highschool memories in order to forget their real memories and to keep them emotionally afloat (aka delaying the online search for "How to tie a hangman's noose"). No "self respecting" vn company would try something that deviates from the patteren, cause the pattern sells and the unknown might not (also all the evacuated bowls would stink up the place if they gave the sad lowlifes a chance to reflect on their lives).  

Swan Song, Sekien no Inganock, Shikkoku no Sharnoth, 

With some simple VNDB search, you can get about 4 pages of translated VN that fit the category.

Cartagra, kara no shuojo, narcissu or yes swan song!

Swan Song, Sekien no Inganock, Shikkoku no Sharnoth, 

Ohhh congradulations you've named three off your top of your head out of hundreds.

With some simple VNDB search, you can get about 4 pages of translated VN that fit the category.

God I wish I lived on the parallel universe VNDB that you are viewing. I assume you are exagerating abit, but there is a reason those are translated and the other dozens of pages are not.

Cartagra, kara no shuojo, narcissu or yes swan song!

Now name some that dosn't make me want to end the human race or my own life.

Now I'm getting off fuwanovel for the night, I havn't slept in a couple of days and I've learn from experience that I tend to regret lingering on the forums while hallucinating that my picture frames are talking to me.

Welp, definitely there is no company want to waste their money to satisfy one person.

God I wish I lived on the parallel universe VNDB that you are viewing. I assume you are exagerating abit, but there is a reason those are translated and the other dozens of pages are not.

Reason? Not enough translator, as always.

Ohhh congradulations you've named three off your top of your head out of hundreds.

I'm not sure why you're taking this attitude. It sounded like you wanted more games like this so I named some, thinking you may like them. Why so combative?

but romance is also crap? 

No, romance itself it's not crap. I just think it's overused and when it's used it's almost always in a crappy way. Romance has potential, but a lot of writers don't use it.

It is entirely possible that you actually believe every word you say, but from my observations (and distrusting nature) it seems that you are trying waaaaay too hard to stand out. Proceed to act hurt and reply that you were "just stating my opinion" and that I'm calling you a lier.

Nah, you're wrong. While I love fiction there are plenty of stuff that I think it's overused, in each medium. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to stand out. 

I build those kinds of opinions because when I see stuff that really impress me, I don't like it when there is something about a work that could have had the same effect, but it did not because it put some cliche or another trope or something I'm tired of. I have seen incredible romances (never in a romantic-focused story though), and when a romance goes too far from that, I just can't help but feel angry. Or when I realized friendship is an awesome interpersonal relationship to explore, but most media prefer to put romance rather then the first.

This is just my opinion. I have my own tastes. If you can't understand it, even if I explained them carefully, keep your opinion, but don't call me a liar (I hardly ever lie, really).

Romance in VNs is, mostly, pretty bad- As far as I can see, authors who can't quite write a story flock towards it (audience isn't as picky and it's probably safer, when it comes to sales), and groups who translate it are generally not the best either, so you have some pretty crappy combos. Not to say the rest of the VN industry is much better or that all of them are bad ... Just most. You do have to swim through piles of trash to find that one masterpiece, so I guess I can see where starless is coming from here. I'd actually say the examples he provided for good romance are pretty crappy as well... Just a matter of opinion, though. My whole point may just come from the fact I was never too crazy about romance to begin with, so /shrug.

Welp, definitely there is no company want to waste their money to satisfy one person.

Reason? Not enough translator, as always.

Sorry guys "Asshole Sleep Deprived Watcher" strikes again! I was extremely tired when I made that post and it was just after some family issues, so I was feeling 50% more sarcastic and assholish. What I had originaly wanted to post in my ramblings about the vn I wanted, meant to allude to the cancled Dysfunctional Systems, but I think I missed typing a line about science fiction or what not.

I'm not sure why you're taking this attitude. It sounded like you wanted more games like this so I named some, thinking you may like them. Why so combative?

Acutally Sekien no Inganock and Shikkoku no Sharnoth are two vns I've been looking to pick up for awhile, but for some reason always get distracted from. Since you are vouching for them I better start on them after I finish Angel Wings.

No H-scenes are the key to success

Every VN except for one that I've read so far would have been drastically better if the H-scenes were toned down/removed

Where's that dislike button when you need it? Why not make it a hate button while we're at it. This opinion is as wrong as an opinion can be.

Grisaia no Kajitsu is an overrated game. The common route is way to long with noting happening and the same thing goes for the Angelic Howl part. And Yuuji is not that great.

Coμ is a highly overrated game with a bunch of uninteresting fights and it's waaaay too long.

Fate/Stay Night was quite boring and i never finished it.

Katawa Shoujo does a lot of things better than any other visual novel.

Muv-Luv Extra is absolutely fine. And you can absolutely go straight to Alternative with barley any loss.

You would own a huge collection if we had that button.

I'm sure I would, but i think H-scenes are very nice and something that visual novels should not lose since we don't really have something like that in other places. And since it seems you like to hold grudges, if you feel the need to voice you're hate/dislike, feel free to do so in PM or another suitable place.