Unpopular Opinions About VN's

Funyarinpa

Firstly, Yuuji is a barely tolerable and thoroughly annoying douche, and I still can't believe he was voted the best male character by reddit.

I find it entirely believable that reddit of all places would vote him as the best male character. (see my previous post where I posit that he's a closet poster at /r/MensRights/)

Aside from what has ready been touched upon, another reason I'm fine with Chinami is that I don't recall her ever being mean spirited. She can be annoying and act carelessly as younger sisters do, but she cares about her brother and tries to do well by him. I'm pretty sure people liked Aoi, Komomo and Mare better because they were "cuter", "cooler", "less hyper" or whatever, I dunno. But I found them more annoying. I don't care that they probably become nicer later, I didn't even finish the common route. And as I've said earlier in this thread, I don't like tsunderes. I don't like how by the end of a story, two characters can end up with similar nice personalities; but because one of them was initially hostile she's more popular than the one who was always pleasant. Sometimes both in-universe and fanbase wise. There's also the fact people often confuse "strong female character" with "hostile/aggresive/emotionally unstable female character", but that's a discussion for another time. I understand the gap-moe concept and respect people's differing tastes, it's just not for me.

There, the most unpopular paragraph I've ever written. :sachi:

Oh god, no. Nii-san is my trigger word for Inferno Divider. 

k8QTqKa.gif

People who don't rate MLA a 10, Clannad a 1.1 (can't rate 1.0 until you're dying because of how VNDB works), and think Yuuji isn't the best protagonist in a visual novel to date are just lacking in taste. 

....Actually I think my opinion might be a bit more popular, judging by other replies. Nevermind~

Oh, I got it. 

I never think about skipping an H-scene, especially when they involve copious amounts of references to mollusks. 

• 1 month later...

^heretic

Drama is overrated and overused in VNs. If 75% of the drama was taken out from VNs and replaced with comedy or something worth reading, we would have far better works.

:3

Are you joking? Most VNs have lots of comedy and few drama. If 75% of the drama was taken out, there would be almost nothing of drama. Drama gives us feels, comedy is just a waste of time that gives us nothing. 

Comedy is just worth when it's a set up for the drama. 

Tbh I usually don't like that much what people call drama... (the best part of Grisaia was the common route by far). Comedy on the other hand is very entertaining when it's, well, actually funny.

There's usually more to a VN than just drama and comedy though, unless it's a charage.

There's usually more to a VN than just drama and comedy though, unless it's a charage.

Don't forget the moeness of the girls. That's just pretty much of what every VN has: comedy, drama, moe and action if it's a chuuni.

I've never understood why people like comedy so much. I hate everything that makes me laugh or tries to make me laugh. It's such a waste and it adds nothing important to our lives. I never care if the comedy is good or not, unless it's the type of comedy not to make you laugh, but to relax you and melt your heart (like non non biyori comedy). And to make things worse, people IRL joke way too much. You can't run away. (There's comedy in fiction and IRL)

Tbh I usually don't like that much what people call drama... (the best part of Grisaia was the common route by far)

I usually don't care if common routes are good or bad, since they have too much comedy, anyway.