Unpopular Opinions About VN's

Funyarinpa

I hope it's okay to say this.

I've seen a number of people telling female VN players that Otome is shit, but I believe they haven't tried a decent one nor interested in changing their attitudes.

I hope you guys won't hurt female VN lovers and saying Otome games are shit.

Treat the girls as much respect as you treat your waifus.

Be nice, and get to know the 3D opposite gender okay?

You'd be surprise some of us actually play eroge/male targetted VNs and loves to voice chat on steam.

Try watching Yandere Kanojo translated on Youtube. It's t/led by Verdelish. (a girl)

Instead of bashing them, encourage them to read VN's targeted for male audience too.

There I said it.. and yes I play eroge.   :yumiko:

Weird..., Little Busters is boring? You should try Cross Channel.
I really tried..but ..ugh...

I've seen a number of people telling female VN players that Otome is shit. but I believe they haven't tried a decent one nor interested in changing their attitudes.

I hope you guys won't hurt female VN lovers and saying Otome games are shit.

Treat the girls as much respect as you treat your waifus.

Be nice, and get to know the 3D opposite gender okay?

You'd be surprise some of us actually play eroge/male targetted VNs and loves to voice chat on steam.

Try watching Yandere Kanojo translated on Youtube. It's t/led by Verdelish. (a girl)

Instead of bashing them, encourage them to read VN's targeted for male audience too.

There I said it.. and yes I play eroge.   :yumiko:

The problem is that males works different for females, i mean its natural to girl friends to give kisses and holding hands betwee them witouth looking like a couple. Now if two male friends did that then that would obviously means they are gay. So even though is normal to see girls play male oriented eroge the opposite wont be true.

Yuri can be enjoyed by straight male and females alike, Otomes doesnt have the same effect on straight males. But hate is a hard word for it maybe no interest? Only hate i cant think is when a localization company decides to translate Otomes over the usual fare (Im still mad Fate/Extra CCC wasnt localized but Sweet Fuse was)

The problem is that males works different for females, i mean its natural to girl friends to give kisses and holding hands betwee them witouth looking like a couple. Now if two male friends did that then that would obviously means they are gay. So even though is normal to see girls play male oriented eroge the opposite wont be true.

Yuri can be enjoyed by straight male and females alike, Otomes doesnt have the same effect on straight males. But hate is a hard word for it maybe no interest? Only hate i cant think is when a localization company decides to translate Otomes over the usual fare (Im still mad Fate/Extra CCC wasnt localized but Sweet Fuse was)

Even if females work different than males that doesn't give them a reason to bully.

Also, not all females are comfortable doing that stuff to their fellow females. I myself don't appreciate Yuri..at all.

Plus there are straight males that are actually into B/L, they are known as Fudanshi and I personally met them at cons. (I was surprised they exist as well.)

And we didn't ask Fate/Extra CCC not to get localize, (I'm a fan of that game and even bought a copy for myself) it just so happened that Aksys released PSP game in a dwindling PSP fanbase that was rotten with piracy so maybe they didn't reach the expected goals.To be fair there's only 1 otome game that Aksys localized over a multitude of guy-centric games so I think you should direct that hate elsewhere. It's like your saying "Girls doesn't deserve even 1 game from Aksys". And lastly Fate/Extra CCC is getting a fan translation..........you guys still win.

I've seen a number of people telling female VN players that Otome is shit, but I believe they haven't tried a decent one nor interested in changing their attitudes.

My first experience with otome was Pyrite Heart.

Don't need to tell you my thought about that thing, I guess?

Though I do know myself that was a bad choice of game...

My first experience with otome was Pyrite Heart.

Don't need to tell you my thought about that thing, I guess?

Though I do know myself that was a bad choice of game...

Thats an OELVN ....not even on-par with Otome JP games and yes thats not even a decent one compared to a full length VN. Bah~ I don't want to stray this topic any further..haha. I was thinking of a good otome game recommendation for you to try but then I remember Kratoscar's opinion about....invoking gayness and all.    :wahaha:

My point was simply not to scare or bully the female VN fans just because she asks for a recommendation or talks about an Otome game. Just because theres one bad Otome game, doesn't mean all Otome games are bad. :amane:

Even if females work different than males that doesn't give them a reason to bully.

Also, not all females are comfortable doing that stuff to their fellow females. I myself don't appreciate Yuri..at all.

Plus there are straight males that are actually into B/L, they are known as Fudanshi and I personally met them at cons. (I was surprised they exist as well.)

And we didn't ask Fate/Extra CCC not to get localize, (I'm a fan of that game and even bought a copy for myself) it just so happened that Aksys released PSP game in a dwindling PSP fanbase that was rotten with piracy so maybe they didn't reach the expected goals.To be fair there's only 1 otome game that Aksys localized over a multitude of guy-centric games so I think you should direct that hate elsewhere. It's like your saying "Girls doesn't deserve even 1 game from Aksys". And lastly Fate/Extra CCC is getting a fan translation..........you guys still win.

As i said i dont think there is hate towards females playing that rather than companies focusing on that.

Fate/Extra actually has appeal to everyone: Straight (MMCxSaberxCaster/FMCxArcherxGil) and homosexual (MMCxGilxArcher/FMCxCasterxSaber), and Aksys said the original did very well. Im sure SF didnt match F/E in sales or popularity so im still not sure why they localized that (You wouldnt see me complaining if both would have been localized).

Oh yeah the translation project fro CCC was dropped so thats out. As for the Fudanshi that would just mean they like that but its no means a general representation (Like you not liking Yuri).

Anyways there is no hate im just saying that you wont see Otomes being widely accepted, take that as you will.

I really, but really didn't like Hoshizora no memoria. It was certainly the most boring VN I read. I won't say overrated or underrated because I know that not everyone share my opinion and this is a really popular VN. But seriously, I thought that all the story was drama for nothing

especially Asuho and Isuzu's routes. Seriously, the first is traumatized because she's half deaf, and the other because she... moved?! I know, this is not the entire plot but I felt that it was all that just for this.

I really, but really didn't like Hoshizora no memoria. It was certainly the most boring VN I read. I won't say overrated or underrated because I know that not everyone share my opinion and this is a really popular VN. But seriously, I thought that all the story was drama for nothing

especially Asuho and Isuzu's routes. Seriously, the first is traumatized because she's half deaf, and the other because she... moved?! I know, this is not the entire plot but I felt that it was all that just for this.

When I first read your post I thought you wrote she was half dea

d and had to pull up vndb to check before it said deaf x.x

The only two routes worth doing in that game are the sisters' because they have supernatural backgrounds which makes for greater entertainment than the drama routes.

Hell, even Mare's route wasn't even that great, and it's the reason I look forward to the fandisk where maybe it gets expanded upon.

wow wow so much sexism in so few comments. Kratoscar, why the hell should sexual orientation dictate what a person should read/like/work? I'm a hundred% gay and I LOVE to play VN's and get the girls, and I dislike most [if not all] yaoi games I ever played.

And if I kiss a boy or a girl friend, that doesn't make me any straigh or gayer, and the same happens with every person. If a guy is afraid of being labeled gay, he is not confident enough in his sexuality. And, even worst, if a person JUDGE someone else because of how they show affection, or what they prefer to read, he/she should just fuck him/herself, because, yeah, this person is stupid.

Sorry for being rude, but I'm kind of tired of seeing this type of comments "a girl should be feminine, a guy should be tough, society bla bla bla", and your comment was pretty much that, even if your intention wasn't. Again, sorry.

Edit: I even have preferences about heroines, please u.u

wow wow so much sexism in so few comments. Kratoscar, why the hell should sexual orientation dictate what a person should read/like/work? I'm a hundred% gay and I LOVE to play VN's and get the girls, and I dislike most [if not all] yaoi games I ever played.

And if I kiss a boy or a girl friend, that doesn't make me any straigh or gayer, and the same happens with every person. If a guy is afraid of being labeled gay, he is not confident enough in his sexuality. And, even worst, if a person JUDGE someone else because of how they show affection, or what they prefer to read, he/she should just fuck him/herself, because, yeah, this person is stupid.

Sorry for being rude, but I'm kind of tired of seeing this type of comments "a girl should be feminine, a guy should be tough, society bla bla bla", and your comment was pretty much that, even if your intention wasn't. Again, sorry.

Edit: I even have preferences about heroines, please u.u

No worries. Admitedly im just talking from personal experience wich i suppose doesnt apply in a general sense. However i think that would explain why series/products aimed at straight people tends to fare better than the opposite.

But i will shut up now, i dont want to derail the topic any longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy, where to start? Wait, I know exactly where.

Clannad is below average at best. It has terrible physical comedy (with the exception of Nagisa's parents), it's shamelessly bloated, lacking cohesion and direction, eschewing potentially interesting plot developments in favor of really shitty ones. The only great thing about it is about a third of After Story (and it's probably not the parts you think of).

Grisaia is also not nearly the Second Coming everyone makes it out to be. Firstly, Yuuji is a barely tolerable and thoroughly annoying douche, and I still can't believe he was voted the best male character by reddit. There's bloating problems as well, inconsistencies and plot holes galore, etc. etc. It was a good read, but it annoyed the hell out of me too damn often.

Shuffle! is pretty much the worst moege ever made.

Conversely, School Days is severely underrated. It does what it's supposed to do, just not what you might have expected of it.

Oh boy, where to start? Wait, I know exactly where.

Clannad is below average at best. It has terrible physical comedy (with the exception of Nagisa's parents), it's shamelessly bloated, lacking cohesion and direction, eschewing potentially interesting plot developments in favor of really shitty ones. The only great thing about it is about a third of After Story (and it's probably not the parts you think of).

Grisaia is also not nearly the Second Coming everyone makes it out to be. Firstly, Yuuji is a barely tolerable and thoroughly annoying douche, and I still can't believe he was voted the best male character by reddit. There's bloating problems as well, inconsistencies and plot holes galore, etc. etc. It was a good read, but it annoyed the hell out of me too damn often.

Shuffle! is pretty much the worst moege ever made.

Conversely, School Days is severely underrated. It does what it's supposed to do, just not what you might have expected of it.

Aight. You win the 'Best Unpopular Opinion" award :P

Anyways there is no hate im just saying that you wont see Otomes being widely accepted, take that as you will.

Otomes aren't widely accepted on Fuwa because the translation scene has traditionally been male dominated and males don't like otomes much. OTOH otomes are very much accepted in the OELVN scene because the majority of people there are women and otomes appeal to them very, very much.

Expect a wider acceptance of otome as visual novels become mainstream and no longer servicing mainly horny teenage boys. 

Also VNs don't need to appeal to everybody to sell well. If you look at books, the romance genre is by far the best selling genre and yet services mainly the female population. That's because more women read books than men, and women read more books than men, which should be a general sort of indicator to where the largest untapped market for VNs lie.

Otomes aren't widely accepted on Fuwa because the translation scene has traditionally been male dominated and males don't like otomes much. OTOH otomes are very much accepted in the OELVN scene because the majority of people there are women and otomes appeal to them very, very much.

I believe it's not widely accepted because female is a rare creature on Fuwa.  <_<

Fuwa was built to service the fan-translation community (that’s changing now. A lot more dev work on Fuwa than when it started.) This was partly because Aaeru looked down a little on OELVNs.

Translation scene is traditionally male-dominated.

Not much stuff aimed at females released.

Therefore not many females interested.

Therefore not much reason for many females to come to Fuwa. (This is changing too.)

Because of this most original dev work tend to be aimed at women, which is why women make up the majority of lemma residents. Original VNs addresses a part of the market largely ignored by the translation scene. Good job Mangagamer for trying to change this btw.

Yeah I don't see many Otome translated at all. A few that I was interested in trying weren't translated, so in the end I went with The Second Reproduciton.

I couldn't even get through the common route. Characters annoyed me. And for an unpopular opinion within an unpopular opinion - I found Chinami one of the LEAST annoying heroines.

lnU2Ezf.jpg

Picking up on that: I actually really like her and how she was written. Chinami is a very accurate depiction of an annoying little lister and I never understood the hate.

That's the problem, is that she isn't the stereotypical imouto-type that generally appears in VNs. People complain about her BECAUSE she's realistic, imo.

She's certainly closer to my little sister than any other imouto I've seen.

Picking up on that: I actually really like her and how she was written. Chinami is a very accurate depiction of an annoying little lister and I never understood the hate.  

Well, people don't like her because she's annoying. Whether or not she's realistic doesn't really change it. Granted by the time her route was over I kinda licked her, but during the beginning of the game she did make you want to pull your hair out. 

Well, people don't like her because she's annoying. Whether or not she's realistic doesn't really change it. Granted by the time her route was over I kinda licked her, but during the beginning of the game she did make you want to pull your hair out.

Well, that's kind of what I mean by "realistic." Real little siblings aren't always the cute moeblobs that eroge make them out to be. They can get on your nerves and piss you off to no end. But at the end of the day, you can still love them, just like how you felt about Chinami. That's why I think that she's more real than other imouto heroines, who usually lack the obnoxious side that little siblings usually have. And I think the reason people don't like her is because they don't want to deal with realism in a moege, they want the idealized imouto they're used to.