Unpopular Opinions About VN's

Funyarinpa

Kratos, have you played games with a nameable main character and a lot of voice acting and actually enjoyed that aspect of them? The Persona series fits in that category, and while they clearly try hard to make it natural, it's really off-putting for me. I'd much rather they just named the main character and avoid the resulting voice acting awkwardness.

Also, if anything, I bet the contortions you have to go through in the script to make it work out are even worse in Japanese than in English, given the relative frequency of usage of names in common conversation in the two languages. The only way I could see that working even moderately well in Japanese is if the writers artificially aligned things for the story so all the characters are socially obliged to call the MC by a title like "senpai" or some such, which would frankly be a ridiculous step to take just to make it so the main character can be nameable without making voice acting awkward...

I'd argue that you're wrong (but that's your opinion) in that breaking the flow by leaving a blank is comparable to leaving out a word.  When a character speaks, they speak in complete sentences, which is then ended in a complete fashion.  Having them go cold in the middle of that flow is far more jarring then having a complete thought ended.  But again that's just ____'s opinion.  

The second thing is that which I would call objectively wrong, is the fact that just because the VN's are unrealistic doesn't make it okay for the writing to be.  If the writing doesn't match the setting, you have a broken narrative.  Imagine a wedding scene for example, using the second person pronoun to address the main character when they are getting married would be absolutely ridiculous.  You can only skirt around not having a name so much.  

I've never played Canvas 2 so I won't comment on that subject.

I dont see the problem if the game uses the default name voice acted, thats how Canvas 2 and many other games do it (ie if you change the name the character just says "sensei" but if you leave the default name it says "Kamikura-Sensei" as to please both sides. I dont see how the writting suffers if the game only unvoices the MC name but it appears in the text, the narrative is still the same. As for unrealistic, MANY VNs are like that and people still praises the writting or the story so in the end that just your opinion (Wich i respect).

Kratos, have you played games with a nameable main character and a lot of voice acting and actually enjoyed that aspect of them? The Persona series fits in that category, and while they clearly try hard to make it natural, it's really off-putting for me. I'd much rather they just named the main character and avoid the resulting voice acting awkwardness.

Also, if anything, I bet the contortions you have to go through in the script to make it work out are even worse in Japanese than in English, given the relative frequency of usage of names in common conversation in the two languages. The only way I could see that working even moderately well in Japanese is if the writers artificially aligned things for the story so all the characters are socially obliged to call the MC by a title like "senpai" or some such, which would frankly be a ridiculous step to take just to make it so the main character can be nameable without making voice acting awkward...

Its actually funny because it was because of Persona that this apreciation for a nameable and Silent MCs born. And yes i have enjoyed them immensely, the games tries its best to make you feel like you are the character rather than controlling him/her and thats the main reason why i enjoy games with such features now. Wich brings my point of VNs, most of them are about self fullfishment and about getting a girl. Now for what reason would i play a game about that if i cant project myself on the character? Thats why most VNs MCs are faceless and unvoiced as to self insert, it seems to work for many japanese folks but to me its more important to be able to name the MC in wich case thats enough for me to immerse myself. And again the script doesnt need to change if the only thing you do is not voice the MC changed name or voice it if default. Its like with the option in the menu were you can silence the characters, its there in order to offer the player a choice of preference. 

In the end if you are making a protagonist intended as its own the give him a set name, a voice and a face. If you are making a protagonist to be a player stand in i dont see why giving a choice to change his name (And voice the default name) should be a problem. Games are unique in that they are a medium were you can be drawn into it and think as being there and thus it should be taken advantage of as much as possible.

Now i see that my opinion is really unpopular (at least in Fuwanovel).

Well, in Mass Effect everyone calls you "Shepard" so even if you name yourself Dickbutt it doesn't change shit in terms of VA

That's the perfect way IMO, otherwise I just prefer a named protag

Thats okay too, most SQUEEZ games actually do that. The name might not be said but you can see it in dialogue or the status screen.

Honestly if such feature was as bothersome for many people games like Persona and Dragon Quest would had died long ago.

Well, in Mass Effect everyone calls you "Shepard" so even if you name yourself Dickbutt it doesn't change shit in terms of VA

That's the perfect way IMO, otherwise I just prefer a named protag

That actually make the name changing become pointless. And it sounds awkward as well.

Oh well, not that it really matter, people have different preferences after all.

iN3NyyV.png

Blonde? That screams of boring. Black haired and blondes are a waste considering the rainbow multicolor range that anime girls can wear. Blue masterrace!

Aye the variety of colours is great, but I find blonde and black my most preferable.

I don't understand grey hair though.

I also like a lot when a girl has one of her eyes in a different color [mostly golden]

Heterochromia. Fortunately, in VNs/anime/etc., it doesn't usually (ever?) come with the associated other physical problems that it usually does in real life (though there are many different causes of it in real life)...

Heterochromia. Fortunately, in VNs/anime/etc., it doesn't usually (ever?) come with the associated other physical problems that it usually does in real life (though there are many different causes of it in real life)...

usually it comes with a superpower or some problem that made the person have its eye changed [Another, which the main girl has a glass eye].

I prefer linearity in VN's to excessive branching. For some lots of choices and branches are why they enjoy VN's, but I just enjoy it as a storytelling medium; and feel that stuff usually gets in the way. As far as I know this may not actually be an unpopular opinion, I'm just assuming it is based off past experience.

I do not like Tsundere.

Muv Luv Alternative is the most underrated VN. 

Yeah man, if you liked MLA there is this one book trilogy called Lord Of The Rings. Too bad nobody knows about it. It got 1/10's across the board and it has very few fans, but it is actually one of the best fantasy books ever written.