What makes you drop a vn?

Avil

The only VN I have dropped is Period, i'll probably go back to it at some point, but the way the character art was so different from the backgrounds was too much for me, they just didn't fit well together at all. I almost dropped Koi iro Chu! Lips because the common route is pretty bad (the western slang and "text talk" bothered me to no end, and our protag seemed like your average pervert), but it got a lot better after I got into the other routes. Oh and I almost dropped G-String, the protag was such a dick 

And takes too long to change his ways, especially in Tsubaki's route. My god I have never disliked an MC as much as Kyouske, even though all the good endings ended pretty well

but the story was good enough to keep me going and the true route made up for it. So I guess it would have to be dick protagonists, terrible writing, and mismatching art styles.

Translation is not an issue since I haven't read a translated VN in 10 years or so.

I filter out things like character and situation before starting, so those don't cause me to drop. Those cause me to never start.

I usually drop when

1) It's trying to tug my heartstrings but fails. Miserably.

2) Goes into cliche cut-paste territory I've seen 100x before.

I should note here that I could give one route quite high marks, and drop the game due to the next one. Or fast forward through the thing if that counts as dropping.

I've always liked single-route vns better anyway.