What makes you drop a vn?

Avil

I wouldn't call those protagonist "flat" they are obviously pathetic, it seems like they exist only to be humiliated and mistreated by every heroine without ever thinking of doing something for themselves. They never hate or dislike anyone and forgive everything, no dreams no plans for their future.

Those flat mc's might be ok for a nukige but not for better vn's.

I will be going back to it though :) 

Probably didn't give it enough time.

You should. G-Senjou surprised me, and not because of some twist or anything. As I understood more the whole landscape of the vn changed.

Reasons I drop vns... either they inexplicably bore me or the characters just don't make enough sense. Or all the interactions are absurdly roundabout (Katahane...)

I don't like to drop things, but I will if it's seriously troubling to read more. Most of the time I just put it off until I can't really come back without restarting it

In order;

1. Hideous art.

Prime example: The original Higurashi's and Umineko's.

Although I have low standards for artstyle, some are just too cringeworthy to bother with. You know you're lying to yourself when you think "the art doesn't matter" in visual novel storytelling. I consider it most important, since I'll be looking at the art 100% of the time. I don't want to look at shit 100% of the time.

2. Unrelatable/unlikable/generally asshole protagonist.

Prime example: School Days.

Readers project themselves into the protagonist. VNs are, in a way, play-pretend, and no one wants to embody a person they don't like. Doesn't have to be a good guy, but he needs to be either relatable or likable, or better yet, both. People seem to have this problem with FSN, oddly enough, I don't.

3. Horrible/inconsistent writing or translation.

Prime example: Rewrite.

Self explanatory, both in narrative and general plot. Maybe don't get 3 different people to write the sodding story for you? I also have problems reading G-Senjou and Sharin (both AkabeiSoft2 strangely), no clue whether or not it's just the translation.

P.S. Everything is subjective.

P.P.S. To all Rewrite fans who keep pestering me to continue Rewrite because Terra and Moon pays off; Go f*** yourself.

You should. G-Senjou surprised me, and not because of some twist or anything. As I understood more the whole landscape of the vn changed.

Reasons I drop vns... either they inexplicably bore me or the characters just don't make enough sense. Or all the interactions are absurdly roundabout (Katahane...)

I don't like to drop things, but I will if it's seriously troubling to read more. Most of the time I just put it off until I can't really come back without restarting it

I actually dropped G-senjou because I couldn't take the way too serious plot of it (I'm more into light story), though I do admit if I cast that aside, it will be really interesting.

haven't really dropped any VNs since i have an obsession of finishing everything i started.even if the plot bores the hell out of me,i'd still read it...slowly...

When the cuteness r overused(Mio's route in Sakusaku)

you just couldn't handle the retardedness  moe in that route 

There isn't really a single "thing" that makes me drop a vn, I can deal with alot (rape, gore, dushbag characters). The main reason I drop a vn would be its' inability to hold my attention (which I don't have a large span of). Even than I try and pick it up again after a while.  

Most users here are really faithful to vns, I drop like half of the vns I download...

That's probably because, like me, we do minimal research on whether or not a VN suits our taste.  The nakige and utsuge, yaoi and BL, and other tags are instant ignores from me.  It's the reason why I wll never pick up, and thus never drop a Key VN again.  

You don't watch everything you see on TV, in a similar fashion, you don't read every VN.  The people with higher ratios are just better at distinguishing these traits, and considering how we've come to the niche of visual novels in the first place, we probably know exactly what we want and can filter out most of what we would drop.

my moodkiller no1 is when the heroines are too overpowered in comparison to the worthless protag.

please don´t get me wrong here, i´m nowhere against a capable female cast, but when the contrast between the genders is too overwhelming to be true, then it pretty much sucks balls.

Quite a couple of reasons actually:

- Boring and/or unrelatable MC

Example: Yuuji from Grisaia. Just an underwhelming, boring excuse of a protagonist if ever I've seen one. Not once did I feel genuinely engaged by him or even that he honestly cared about what was happening around him.

- No worthwhile plot

Now, I'm actually willing to give a little ground plot-wise IF the characters are fun, can make me laugh, etc, (Take Alcot's My Girlfriend is the President. No plot worth speaking of, but it was a fun ride nonetheless.)

Example: School Days. 'Nuff said.

- Doesn't live up to its potential

Example: Da Capo

Particularly Da Capo II, which just had the most unbearable, thick-headed MC I have ever had the displeasure of slogging through, and that's saying a lot.

That aside, the Da Capo series does have significant potential, and yet it keeps getting rehashed in the same fashion, over and over again, as if the creators are scared to try anything new for fear of alienating their base. If they took a page out of a series like ef and put some genuine trauma and the like into their story, it could make for a much more interesting read.

my moodkiller no1 is when the heroines are too overpowered in comparison to the worthless protag.

please don´t get me wrong here, i´m nowhere against a capable female cast, but when the contrast between the genders is too overwhelming to be true, then it pretty much sucks balls.

1. When theres too much information being thrown at you and it still doesn't make sense halfway through.
  2. When the story jumps to a critical point  in the beginning that leaves you a lot of questions that needs answering.
  3. When theres too much dialogue/interaction between two characters that kills the exciting build-up.
  4. When a certain route just drops a spoiler bomb at you and ruins the whole experience.
  5. Nukige.
  6. Perverted MC. (My girlfriend is a president).
  7. Dumb MC with piss-poor attitude.
  8. Boring and uninteresting, often over-used character templates with no redeeming attribute with the romanced characters.
  9. Bad Art and music.