What makes you drop a vn?

Avil

I dropped G-Senjou no Maou. Because I found the protagonist annoying & kind of a dick.

Dropped Otoboku, the H-scenes were cringey & simply 'cause I got bored. Mostly likely go back to these later.

Mostly if it drags on, clueless (dumb) protagonists, bad translations.

I approach visual novels the same way I approach movies, books, videogames and shows.

Reasons to drop:

Bad translation, both in terms of readability and quality. I can tolerate some fuck ups (Kira*Kira) and won't immediately join undeserved circlejerking (Nekopara), but sometimes google translation doesn't cut it.  

Bad writing. Bad writing isn't a matter of opinion. Some stories are simply lackluster enough, to deserve a drop.  

I heavily dislike something about the tone/universe/characters. This on the other hand, is a matter of pure preference. As an example, I automatically start on the wrong foot with supernatural stories (like Rewrite), because it's just not my genre. 

Dropping G-Senjou no Maou?

Absurd.

Let´s see, it only happened twice that I dropped a vn so what were the reasons:

Muv-Luv: Really boring beginning and I didn´t liked the characters. Also I learned that MLA (the whole reason for this) is about mecha which is one of my least favourite genres so I totally lost my motivation to play it.

Kanon: Old. Really old. It was the oldest vn I´ve ever played so it was hard to get used to the artwork and the awful voice quality (seriously I had big trouble to endure every time Akiko was speaking). Also different than other Key vn the common route was boring and I couldn´t even keep track off what was happening all the time. I´m usually able to endure some boring parts (I´m looking at you Yumiko route :makina: ) but I´m not really enough M to continue doing something that feels like a complete waste of time.

Lol, what VNs have you guys read with such terrible translations? I have not yet had to drop a VN because the translation was unbearable. Unless you guys are using machine translations, I don't see how this is such a frequent problem.

As for me, I drop a VN when it has a long and boring common route (Little Busters, Rewrite, etc).

If My Heart Had Wings's translation was utterly horrendous. Also, Flyable Hearts is even worse.

I can generally handle a bad translation if the story being told is acceptably good, there's only a couple of VNs I can think of where the translation was disgusting to the point of being unreadable.

The most common reason I'll have for dropping a VN is that I've read the exact story it is telling before; Japan loves to rehash the same story 1000 times, usually with the exact same character tropes/designs and nothing changing but the art style.

I have a hard time when the length seems overwhelming, though if it's good enough, that won't make me drop it. Tsukihime is incredibly long, but I played through every route and savored every single moment of it. Kamidori Alchemy Meister, on the other hand, is frustratingly long with a meaningless story tacked onto a pile of H-scenes and gameplay that is only fun for the first quarter of the game. I might pick it back up someday, but for now, it's dropped.

I'll drop something if the mood of the VN and my own aren't synchronized. That doesn't mean it's a bad VN, it's just the false time for it (eg. did that with Stein's Gate and G-SNM). But I'll go there with Nosebleed, I'll definitely finish them but sometimes in the future. You have to finish things you start :P

I have several reasons for dropping a VN, but it really depends on which one currently bugs me the most.

Crap translation, extended sections of story with no action and slow pacing, general dislike of the characters, bad art, bad writing in general, lack of text wrapping (never made me drop one before, but it's tempted me), or if it's just fluff (focused on h-scenes or endless rom-com scenes).  Only VN I've ever dropped was MGQ, which had several of those traits, although I've put several VNs, including Hoshimemo, Inganock and Sharin's fandisk, on hold because they had some of those issues at one point or another, mostly the extended slow pacing.

Mindlessness and hetare protagonists are the most likely reasons for me to drop a VN.  That and poor narrative.

What's the deal with Japan and hetare mc?

Nobody wants an ultra macho gary stu solving everything without even trying but the hetare level on the normal mc is too high!

The problem is that the moege evolved partially from the 'cute' nukige, which generally had a weak protagonist who existed solely to have sex with girls who loved him for no reason.  As a result, protagonists in moege and moege-variants tend to be weak-willed, stupid, cowardly, and/or flat as characters.    Furthermore, since moege took the place of dating sims in VNs as well as those of 'cute nukige', there is even more of a tendency to prefer voiceless, faceless, flat protagonists who exist solely as a cipher for the reader.