What makes you drop a vn?

Avil

It doesn't matter what filter you use to decide what vn you should play there's always a chance of failure and unexpected content that makes you drop the vn.

What kind of content/tropes/characters makes you drop a vn?

I can't stand the lucky-accidental pervert trope and sissy mc's that get a power up on strength and guts when it's convenient.

I drop one when I realize I have nothing more to get out of the VN.

...Muv Luv Alternative underdelivered on its promise in that regard, it was not worth going though Extra for.

I thought I hated SoL because I hated MLE, but from my experience of reading Grisaia, it appears that was not the case at all.

I drop it when, a year or so from when I would finish, I wouldn't think, "What distinctive and high-quality features that game had; I should boot it up just to relive the feeling that immersed me when I played it," assuming that the feeling in question is not mental aggravation at how terrible the game was. -_-

For a VN that is mostly focused on drama, I drop it if the writing is bad, cause bad writing on a mostly text-based game is not good at all... It has to keep me relatively interested pretty much throughout the entire experience, especially during the character development. Yes, you know that feeling when you pick up a VN and you cannot stop reading for a few hours, even during the slice of life.

I'll drop it as soon as it attempts to play a card that makes me think that its a nakige.  There are plenty of ways to involve the player emotionally rather than holding a character hostage for half the game.  I play the game for interaction with the character, taking them away is utterly pointless.

Trying to force you to pity a heroine, killing children or using rape as an excuse for abusive heroines are clear signs of bad writing.

I'll drop it if it's shit. Or if I can't get into the characters or story..

I am much more fair now days than a few years ago. I would think a vn was dirt if it didn't have elements I liked. Now I try different stuff when I feel like trying something else. Otherwise I read the stuff I know I will most likely like. I am spend some time looking into the vn before I try it out, reading reviews and looking at scores.. As I will play it for many hours, I don't want to waste my time playing stuff that's low quality or totally out of my preferences..

Biggest problem is if I can't connect to the protag. If he is completely boring or stupid it's outright horrible to read.

I drop a VN when the translation is so horrible that I can't even understand what's going on half the time.

Either not suit my taste, or the translation is worse than Google.

I will drop it if the translation is unreadable.

Lol, what VNs have you guys read with such terrible translations? I have not yet had to drop a VN because the translation was unbearable. Unless you guys are using machine translations, I don't see how this is such a frequent problem. 

As for me, I drop a VN when it has a long and boring common route (Little Busters, Rewrite, etc). 

I will drop it if the translation is unreadable or if the protagonist is a huge crybaby. that is also the main reason that I dropped Ayakashibito.

I had a hard time with Ayakashibito, the mc was the mangina king(Queen?) and I hated every heroine except Tonya but a few secondary characters were great.

The only two games I've ever dropped were Harukoi Otome and Hoshizora no Memoria, and both were because I found the characters to be dry, and the common routes to be way too long and boring. I've heard that Hoshimemo, at least, gets better later on, but I just didn't feel like it was worth subjecting myself to any more of the common route.

Oh, I also couldn't get through Umineko. I know it's popular, but i don't like the writing style. At all. It had an interesting premise though, I'll give it that.

I think the only VN I've ever dropped was Clannad, and that was because

1) the translation had weird mistakes that were starting to get on my nerves (the third or fourth time I saw "Tomoya-kun" translated as "No valid string, file a ticket", I pretty much lost it)

2) suddenly the game bugged out and the music stopped playing completely

The second one (and it was not temporary - I played through maybe 30 minutes, saved/loaded, etc., still no music) was such a creepy experience that I couldn't handle continuing to play the game. As much as I really like and appreciate OSTs when listening to them separately, I didn't notice how much they mattered to the game execution until that moment.

I'm sure there will be other things as I try playing more VNs - if I ever get around to starting it, I won't be surprised at all if I end up dropping Muv-Luv, since I suspect it's going to be a bit too intense for me.

Lol, what VNs have you guys read with such terrible translations? I have not yet had to drop a VN because the translation was unbearable. Unless you guys are using machine translations, I don't see how this is such a frequent problem. 

As for me, I drop a VN when it has a long and boring common route (Little Busters, Rewrite, etc). 

You clearly havent read Flyable Heart and AstralAir "translation". Oh, Soukoku no Arterial also.

My reasons are the same ones most people here have said, If the game does not catch my interest whatsoever after reading for a long period of time (for me if i'm halfway through a route/story and I feel like impatiently clicking through to get it over and done with, it's a sign to just stop and delete it from my hard drive) .

Also if the plot has elements that honestly pisses me off I wont bother wasting my time in continuing. Such as Sakura spirit, with that unbearably unlikable MC and those moronic heroines who all revolve in getting his cock. I can't believe I wasted my bandwidth for the crap just to see of it was any good.