This VN's music sucks. Let me listen to my own OSTs.

InvertMouse

Just wondering if anyone's had that experience XD. I've been playing some VN called Go! Go! Nippon! The music in that game sound like stock tracks you'll find on free sound effect websites. It gives me the temptation to turn off the music and open up iTunes. However, I feel bad for doing that because when I play a game, I want to respect the full experience, even if part of it is bad. It's like playing an old game with enhanced mods. I'm often not a fan of doing that. Hope to hear some opinions on this :P. Thanks B).

I shamelessly replaced the tracks of the Tsukihime VN with some of the anime OST at some point, because there's only 10 of them and they're a bit repetitive.

Other than that, the music is very important to me but I've barely ever been disappointed.

The music in Go! Go! Nippon! is dreadful. I understand wanting to stay true to the experience but man it is bad.

I guess its all about how you want to immerse yourself in the VN. I admit, there have been a couple times where i turned the music down to almost nothing because it was distracting me from reading. But that is very rare.

HMMMM I cleared gogo nippon a while ago and I didn't think it was too too bad. I mean it's supposed to function as a fun and moe travel guide thing that points out the fun places to go in tokyo right? So I went in not expecting too much of it. But yeah the music of a game is pretty important, but since it's function wasn't to give off a truly amazing story or anything to great or suspenseful, a generic sountrack fits it doesn't it? /u\

Well, Go Go Nippon clearly isn't a normal VN, so you can't really expect a great OST or even a great story.

It's simply interesting because, like mooingmage said, serves as a kind of tour guide and teaches you some things about japan.

Around 70% of all moege reuse generic (some even using public domain stuff) music for their BGMs, with the other 30% utilizing original music made in the style particular to the genre. At least, that was the case with the ones I've played. It's a lot less trouble to name games with awesome music than it is to name ones with bad or mediocre music... especially after you've devoured a large number of VNs like I have.

Whenever I read Sonohana I almost always listen to some other music in the background. The music in the series is just so repetitive... Though I end up having some odd experiences by listening to, say, Yes while reading an adorable Takako x Runa scene. :lol:

A lot of early-era and doujin games generally need to switch out music, for reasons that become obvious upon playing them. Tsukihime is an obvious example, but Abyss- Homicide Club is another that sometimes needs a music switch out... the lack of money available to the makers tends to be more likely to create situations like that. Companies with a lot of money have a bad habit of splurging on music but getting a random music director, who doesn't have any idea of how to use the music at hand. As a result, you can end up with great soundtracks, but have them so poorly used you can't get into the game at all.

Yeah, music definitely can't be neglected in a VN. I'd think it's even more important than it is for standard video games. In VNs, you're largely staring at a still image and reading a bunch of text. Music is a great way to enhance that experience. Fortunately, the music in most VNs are pretty good :).

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to listen to my own music while playing Hinatabokko. The music wasn't bad, it was just... a bit repetitive. Sometimes when I play really bad VNs, I like to change the music to something that ruins the intended atmosphere (like playing something upbeat and childish during a scene that is supposed to be scary or emotional) just for the fun of it.