Hyperdimension Neptunia+Spin offs

Monmon

I like and hate this series. I do give Idea Factory some credit for steadily improving each new entry into the main series despite yearly releases. For example, the second game is such a massive improvement from the first, and Victory is now the basis for the Re;Birth series which remakes the mainline games. At the same time, we've seen how many of these games get released now? This is like the Japanese, moe, ecchi, JRPG equivalent of CoD

the Japanese, moe, ecchi, JRPG equivalent of CoD

For the last few months, I've been watching Amazon recommend this game to me even though I have no idea what it is. Then for the few weeks since I joined the Fuwa forums, I've seen people periodically chatter about it with great enthusiasm, and put it in their signatures, and whatnot.

"Kosaki's a bit of a strange guy, but he plays with me in the True/False thread, so he can't be all bad, and maybe he's onto something here," I think to myself.

So then I wander over to this thread thinking maybe this will tell me if I should play these games, and here you have summarized everything I needed to know in less than 10 words. I don't even like CoD (and I get that you're mocking them for churning out presumably-sub-par games at a prodigious rate), but I am nonetheless sold.

I needed a new JRPG anyway.

Something tells me I don't want to be playing this on my commute, unless I get some sort of screen polarizing cover for my Vita so people don't see what I'm playing over my shoulder... but nonetheless!

Anyway, what's the right starting point for this series, assuming I have All The Consoles and generally prefer to use a portable one? Re;birth 1 on the Vita?

I tried playing Rebirth, I got a headache after an hour. The dialog is sooo bad. Gameplay is meh. I guess chalk this up as another series whose popularity I will never understand.

PC gamers should rejoice, Windows versions of Noire and U have been rated by the ESRB, so it seems likely that they'll come to Steam. 

"Kosaki's a bit of a strange guy, but he plays with me in the True/False thread, so he can't be all bad, and maybe he's onto something here," I think to myself."

I-I'm not weird!

It's fun if you like cute girls doing silly stuff.

And more or less joke around most of the time.

If you don't like that and instead want something serious, then I don't think this'll fit the bill.

I tried playing Rebirth, I got a headache after an hour. The dialog is sooo bad. Gameplay is meh. I guess chalk this up as another series whose popularity I will never understand.

</3

PC gamers should rejoice, Windows versions of Noire and U have been rated by the ESRB, so it seems likely that they'll come to Steam. 

If we're being honest, the games aren't really that good. But they do have their ease and mindless fun aspects going for them. mk.2 was a lot of fun simply because I could come home from a long day of work, and spend an hour of mindless, easy grinding in it while being mildly entertained by some of the more subtle video game jokes. 

I find that the writing can be a bit much though. Like, "Here is the joke. See the joke? Do you really see the joke? Here is the joke again? Did you see what we did?" Toning it down a notch would be nice. 

Started playing Re;birth 1. So far so good. However, I'm not really digging the English voice acting (which is unusual for me; normally I like English-dubbed anime, always use the English voice acting in JRPGs, etc.,).

I'm debating going full weeb and switching to the Japanese voices - any thoughts? Should I give the English actors more time until I get used to them, or is the Japanese acting at noticeably better and I should just switch now? Obviously I'd simply have much higher tolerance for bad acting in Japanese, since at this point I understand maybe one word in ten and certainly don't pick up the nuances...

I'm using Japanese VAs just because the game was originally Japanese. If a game is orignially English, I play it in English~

Took a small break, but back to playing it again, still only in Chapter 2~

OH! That major update fixed something that always annoyed me: The screen going black after a battle!

How can I describe it... I like the characters, their personalities, the artwork, and the overall gameplay. (grinding to 999 was torture however)

But I hate the story, and a lot of the banter. Does that make sense? lol. I guess I'm just too much of a traditionlist - I like my tropes and old-fashioned cliches, and it annoys me when they are smashed to pieces with a bunch of "breaking the 4th wall" shinanigans. :P

Tohsaka Rin voicing Iffy was a nice touch though :)

Noire best girl, then Nepgear. :3

I'm in Chapter 2 as a level 33 because I was hunting whales for a while to build credits so i can buy outfits xD It was this huge wolf boss you fight when testing a weapon for someone. I had the "Risky" enemies of that place active too, I could kill the phoenix and the red robot thing, but the huge black robot with the scary music... I started the fight, took a few turns, saw its HP not even moving, and then on its turn it regenned not only HP but shield as well (or w/e it's called), I just ran away.

Don't fret. It happens a lot of times.

I also finished Chapter 2 around that level.

Probably because I kept on repeating the Magical Fragments quest and the Wolf Fur quest, trying to earn money for outfits.

Yes, I'm a fukken' fashionista.

Inb4 you discover they're only recolors.

I went and postponed other tough enemies though, since I went and just farmed materials.