VN Player Mentors Wanted (for Science!)

Tay

Hello everybody,

I'm going to be busy all weekend working on front-site and behind-the-scenes stuff, so I'm going to post this now instead of next week. If anyone has questions or thoughts or suggestions, feel free to reply in this topic. Let me know you're interested by replying in this topic as well.

Introduction to the Mentorship Program Experiment:

New VN players will be able to easily request a player mentor who has some experience playing VNs and is willing to be a friend and contact as they begin this great adventure. The mentor will email/PM an introduction to the new player, talk about the VN player's first game (and, ideally, nerd out with them), suggest follow-up games based on the new player's preferences, and be willing to answer quick questions such as "How do I make my computer Japanese?" or "What is a senpai-sama?".

Mentors will be given some resources (including answers to the above two questions and TL/OELVN game list suggestions) they can send to their mentees, and after the front site redesign there will be a large amount of additional material targeted at new players for your/their reference.

Requirements:

• Played and enjoyed at least 2 VNs in the "Starter" list below:
  • Capacity to nerd out about visual novels
  • You need to be nice  : P
  • Some Fuwa Exposure: Been a member of Fuwanovel for at least 1 month and have >20 posts
  • Each mentor can choose how many mentees she/he wants to have

Starter VNs

• Katawa Shoujo
  • Planetarian
  • Narcissu
  • Fate/Stay Night
  • Clannad
  • G-Senjou
  • Sharin no Kuni (original game, not FD)
  • More will be added with time

What you'll do as a mentor:

• You'll get an email/PM with a new mentee's contact information
  • You'll send that person a PM/email (based on their preferences) introducing yourself, telling a little about your history with VNs, and you'll attach a basic FAQ PDF pamphlet which I/Fuwa will provide to you
  • After that, essentially, you just be nice and be a friend. Answer their questions, talk about the game they're playing, nerd out with them (Sakura = best girl), offer game suggestions, show them around Fuwa, help them find the next game to try, etc.
  • Not a big time commitment, especially considering the demand will be slower as we're starting out
  • Make friends!

Interested?

If you're interested in being a player mentor, let me know by posting below. The program is going to be slowly implemented, so you won't be given a mentee right away. In the early stages of this program I'll probably be contacting you to pick your brain about how it's going, but other than that it shouldn't be too much of a commitment.

may i ask?..... bt73p.gif

who the new VN players ? outsider of Fuwanovel ?

if outsider , so the mentor need contact new mentee by using personal e-mail ? or......

Sure you can ask! But I reserve the right to answer cryptically : P

It'll be part of an upcoming program associated with Fuwanovel. If the stars align right, it'll also extend to some anime communities with whom I'm having "talks", but I can give no confirmations or promises just yet -- this post is limited to introducing the concept and polling for volunteers.

I'm in! Considering that I went through the arduous tasks of writing full blown analytical papers on some of my favorite VNs, I feel I am fully capable of nerding out. :P Hmm, my favorite VNs are Swan Song, Symphonic Rain, Narcissu, Kanon and Yume Miru Kusuri. These are the VNs I am currently most enthusiastic to speak and write about (I could expand this list though). So send me people who are interested in a good character driven story that focuses on human relationships more than on plot and action. In other words, people interested in Chunni and Type-moon stuff should go to other mentors, I'll take the romantics. :)

Also, I only have solid experience with translated VNs.