Majikoi Translation Discussion

NhKPaNdA

I don't know any chinese people, but I do know at least one chinese speaker. There are over a billion of them, surely it can't be that hard to find one willing to help.

There are over a billion of them, and they are all stuck in China. But we are getting off topic.

Kosuna is trying to find heads and tails on those lines. I don't know if he knows any Japanese speakers, but he is trying.

Well this seems silly, but are you sure it's chinese? It wouldn't make sense for there to be untranslated chinese in a Japanese visual novel that takes place entirely within Japan with no Chinese characters. Something doesn't add up. I honestly think it might be more likely that some unusual Japanese kanji has him really confused.

Well this seems silly, but are you sure it's chinese? It wouldn't make sense for there to be untranslated chinese in a Japanese visual novel that takes place entirely within Japan with no Chinese characters. Something doesn't add up. I honestly think it might be more likely that some unusual Japanese kanji has him really confused.

How could I be sure? I don't know what lines they are.

He said that they're Chinese kanji. That's what I have.

I was under the impression Chinese kanji were the same as the Japanese ones (same meaning but read differently). Anyway, I have a close friend of a close friend who is Chinese (born and raised in China, currently studying in Japan, expert in Kanji). If you really need help with that I can ask him to translate a couple of sentences. No promises though, since I don't know when I'll be able to contact him since college keeps them pretty busy.

for the record, I don't recall any Chinese lines in Miyako's route (and certainly haven't hit any so far).

I started at the point where Yandere ended because lazy. (I had no idea that the Kazama route had a partial translation!) Might go back and redo the first 1.5k-odd lines if there's enough demand for it.

Gratuitous Chinese in Japanese texts is really rare. You're much more likely to find gratuitous English (heck, Chris has more English lines than German).

Pugnator: All Japanese kanji are derived from Chinese hanzi, but due to various reasons (the two biggest being that a number of characters simply are not used in Japanese [there are technically 6,000-odd kanji; 2,000 is enough to be considered literate, and even including names and rare kanji 3,000 is the actual number] and differing simplification processes over the years) the two sets aren't identical. It's kind of like how  ß and accented letters don't mean anything in English (and with English native speakers often not having the slightest clue how to pronounce them).

also I wish I had infinite free time.

Japanese tend to use Chinese sometimes the way ppl in Europe use Latin. Proverbs. "smart" sentences and references to Chinese mythos etc.

And even as they use the same Kanji (most of the time) there are ocasion where same sign has diffrent meanings, and most of them at least sound diffrently when spoken.

I am happy Dowolf is working on Miyako - if anything this will shorten the time he would spend later on translation check.

Now to another issue - Azengar ;p

Honestly though I dont care about Agawe untill Miyako is compleate.

Nero! Or "Drago" or whatever.

And first of all, I'd like to point out that this wasn't done out of peer pressure or because some guy said something somewhere.

Anywho, since Dowolf is basically out of work, I decided to discuss his next work with him, and since he wants to complete his work on the original Majikoi before potentially moving on to S, I proposed he could start working on Miyako in case something happened to Kosuna. Also, since he apparently has unlimited amount of free time, I figured it'd be a good way for him to keep occupied.

Now we're just waiting to see who finishes first.

I find this completely redundant making Dowolf do work that has already been nearly completed by Kosuna just because a bunch of people are impatient with the progress of Kosuna's work. I understand Dowolf not wanting to jump ahead into Majikoi S since it is quite extensive with a few routes to be done, but instead of wasting his unlimited amount of free time on that, rather finish off the other 2 routes in Majikoi A-1 from where Wairu left off.

I find this completely redundant making Dowolf do work that has already been nearly completed by Kosuna just because a bunch of people are impatient with the progress of Kosuna's work. I understand Dowolf not wanting to jump ahead into Majikoi S since it is quite extensive with a few routes to be done, but instead of wasting his unlimited amount of free time on that, rather finish off the other 2 routes in Majikoi A-1 from where Wairu left off.

I tend to agree. Benkei and Azumi would be of similar length to Miyako. However, the rest of the team would need to join him in his TLs, because Wairu left nearly everything undone in A-1. Images need editing, ending skits do as well if I recall correctly, menus are also not done as far as I'm aware. Plus the QC and programming. As I said before, the problem with starting a new game is making sure that all the roles are filled. Just a TL won't get very far towards a patch in most cases.

As a bonus, this way, people can choose to use either kosuna's or dowolf's translations, depending on which they prefer.

On the other hand, I hate to be "that guy" but the one post Kosuna made had some really rough english and is there any guarantee that we will even want to use his translation? I know I sound like a dick for saying this, but I kind of feel better with dowolf handling this.

edit: "Tact" isn't in my vocabulary, sorry. :P

On the other hand, I hate to be "that guy" but the one post Kosuna made had some really rough english and is there any guarantee that we will even want to use his translation?

Hence the 'choose which to use', I was just trying to be more tactful about it. I trust Oura will do what is best for the patch.

.... hm, I've been schooled by this thread today just by reading this  :huh: that being said, let's really get back to topic now, seem's like this has turned into a rat race for Miyako's route when I was not looking....

On the other hand, I hate to be "that guy" but the one post Kosuna made had some really rough english and is there any guarantee that we will even want to use his translation? I know I sound like a dick for saying this, but I kind of feel better with dowolf handling this.

.... just an opinion, but QC is the one giving the "finishing touch" for the translation yes? So no need to worry which translation to be used I guess, Ourai-san seem capable on that part....  -_-

.... hm, I've been schooled by this thread today just by reading this  :huh: that being said, let's really get back to topic now, seem's like this has turned into a rat race for Miyako's route when I was not looking....

.... just an opinion, but QC is the one giving the "finishing touch" for the translation yes? So no need to worry which translation to be used I guess, Ourai-san seem capable on that part....  -_-

If his english is not good maybe the meaning of some sentences will be changed and QC can't fix that.

If Dowolf english is better i would use his. A delayed translation is eventually good, a bad translation is bad forever.

I do agree to an extent. Instead of Dowolf doing the whole thing again, he could just go through Kosuna's translation as was planned before. That would ensure the quality of translation and it would be faster too.

I'm assuming that Kosuna has already sent the 99% translation. If he hasn't then I think he can complete whatever he has left and give it soon. 99% indicates that his translation is more or less complete, if he wants to check his work I think it would be faster and better if Dowolf checked it rather.

edit: "Tact" isn't in my vocabulary, sorry. :P

They are understandable enough. The few scripts from Miyako's route that I did as proofreader, which I guess were from Kosuna, did indeed have mistakes here and there, but nothing that would break the meaning or make it necessary to personally ask what was Kosuna trying to say.

(I had no idea that the Kazama route had a partial translation!)

Liar. I mailed you about a line when I was doing the QC for Kazama route, asking for your opinion on the name of a shop in the game. Some French nonsense or other.

Reminder, please stay on topic. :3 

that being said, let's really get back to topic now, seem's like this has turned into a rat race for Miyako's route when I was not looking....

I don't know what you two are talking about. This is on-topic.

I do agree to an extent. Instead of Dowolf doing the whole thing again, he could just go through Kosuna's translation as was planned before. That would ensure the quality of translation and it would be faster too.

I'm assuming that Kosuna has already sent the 99% translation. If he hasn't then I think he can complete whatever he has left and give it soon. 99% indicates that his translation is more or less complete, if he wants to check his work I think it would be faster and better if Dowolf checked it rather.

Dowolf is translating as a precaution (and as a way to waste time.)

This is exactly like when we started out and began working on Miyako in case we couldn't get the 85% from Yandere.

Hello peeps. I would like everyone's opinion on something. In Mayo's route, her 2 brothers are often mentioned, and I can't decide whether to go with "little brothers" or "younger brothers."

"Little brothers" sounds so clunky, but it better conveys that they're a lot younger than her than "younger brothers" would.

So please let me know what you guys think.

Hello peeps. I would like everyone's opinion on something. In Mayo's route, her 2 brothers are often mentioned, and I can't decide whether to go with "little brothers" or "younger brothers."

"Little brothers" sounds so clunky, but it better conveys that they're a lot younger than her than "younger brothers" would.

So please let me know what you guys think.