Majikoi Translation Discussion

NhKPaNdA

i literally have too much free time, i can spend up til 5 am every day doing it.

also, i've been following on this for a year now, if i can somehow get this done faster, I WILL DO IT!!

because, MY PC IS THE PC THAT WILL QC TO THE HEAVENS!!

Sorry friend there's no "believe in the me that believes in you" here and QC to the heavens, how does that work exactly......do you QC until you or your pc dies or something?

Mods, forgive if I'm going off topic a bit, but:

To expand on this a bit: MajiKoi's script is 27 files. MajiKoi S's script is 264 files. The logistics of finding what is and isn't done in that game would be a nightmare. Simply finding out what is and isn't translated, and which files belong to who, would be a very extensive job. It would then need to be translated by extracted script, rather than each whole route.

The original game, while a massive undertaking in its own right, pales in comparison to S. I imagine the A games a bit simpler, due to only have 3 absolute routes with nothing in common and no side routes, but I'd have to open up the script and look.

Shouldn't be so difficult. I tested some days ago and i think i can extract the text of S like in Majikoi, so instead of the translator creating a .txt with the text, he can directly translate this files.

i literally have too much free time, i can spend up til 5 am every day doing it.

also, i've been following on this for a year now, if i can somehow get this done faster, I WILL DO IT!!

because, MY PC IS THE PC THAT WILL QC TO THE HEAVENS!!

Since you know that the answer is already no,why do you keep asking to help?

The QCer is nearly done,so you wouldn't really speed up the process,it has been already noted that a QCer can't be both fast and efficient(technically he can,but most if not all aren't both) and you are trying to take his job/tell him how to do his job,which obviously frustrates him.

Just leave it as is,i'm sure that he can do his job without your help.

Shouldn't be so difficult. I tested some days ago and i think i can extract the text of S like in Majikoi, so instead of the translator creating a .txt with the text, he can directly translate this files.

Did you figure out how to automatically locate the text? I can't seem to do it without hard-coding the location within each file.

Did you figure out how to automatically locate the text? I can't seem to do it without hard-coding the location within each file.

You can insert the text of Majikoi S into a prepared majikoi file for the unpack, and after the recompile, manually insert the text into the majikoi S original file. It's easy enough because the text in the .bin begin and end similarly. I haven't fully tested it yet but there shouldn't be problems.

Mods, forgive if I'm going off topic a bit, but:

To expand on this a bit: MajiKoi's script is 27 files. MajiKoi S's script is 264 files. The logistics of finding what is and isn't done in that game would be a nightmare. Simply finding out what is and isn't translated, and which files belong to who, would be a very extensive job. It would then need to be translated by extracted script, rather than each whole route.

The original game, while a massive undertaking in its own right, pales in comparison to S. I imagine the A games a bit simpler, due to only have 3 absolute routes with nothing in common and no side routes, but I'd have to open up the script and look.

not really. the scripts' filenames, while not immediately intuitive, are pretty simple to map out to each of the routes. (Letter gives the character [in roughly order they're in on the route select screen], first number is usually [but not necessarily] the subroute. Then there's an underscore, followed by the in-game date of that script, followed by an underscore, followed by that script's position on that date. For instance, if on 11/3, you go on a date and then have sex with character d, the date would be d1_1103_0, and the sex scene would be d1_1103_1.)

Number of lines to translate is roughly the same number that I did in total for Majikoi, though a... significantly higher percentage of them are sex scenes.

The biggest problem is that speakers are not explicitly stated in the script (except, strangely, the first time they speak in any given script...?)--instead, they're implied by the filename of the voice clip. And in those filenames, each character is mapped to a single integer (which goes up to at least 212!!!), so a mapping from integers to names is necessary.

not really. the scripts' filenames, while not immediately intuitive, are pretty simple to map out to each of the routes. (Letter gives the character [in roughly order they're in on the route select screen], first number is usually [but not necessarily] the subroute. Then there's an underscore, followed by the in-game date of that script, followed by an underscore, followed by that script's position on that date. For instance, if on 11/3, you go on a date and then have sex with character d, the date would be d1_1103_0, and the sex scene would be d1_1103_1.)

Number of lines to translate is roughly the same number that I did in total for Majikoi, though a... significantly higher percentage of them are sex scenes.

The biggest problem is that speakers are not explicitly stated in the script (except, strangely, the first time they speak in any given script...?)--instead, they're implied by the filename of the voice clip. And in those filenames, each character is mapped to a single integer (which goes up to at least 212!!!), so a mapping from integers to names is necessary.

Adding in the names is the easiest part. They're incredibly obvious in the script(at least in a hex editor), and as long as you have a list of who you're looking for, it's a simply copy and paste job. Wouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes.

The problem with the scripts in S is the method which we're using to patch this game. Yandere edited the script directly, allowing us to use an update pac to keep what is and isn't done clear. While I'm reasonably certain wairu did the same thing, I'm not sure how well the update will work. This game has update.pac and update2.pac, making the obvious next choice update3.pac. S has only update2.pac. This means that either wairu can't count, likes screwing with people, or had a problem using update.pac. Depending on which of those three is the case, creating a working patch in the same fashion we are here could be problematic.

Now, someone will inevitably ask why we don't just edit the script directly. The simple answer is because that can(and probably will) screw up any existing installs with saves. Which is, obviously, bad.

I'm not saying it's impossible, or even all that difficult(depending on what the problem actually is), just that it would take a committed team(TL, QC,  one programmer, and a beta tester at least) to make it worth even investigating. It's not like wairu were exactly forthcoming with how and why they did what they did.

QC stands for Quality Control / Check, as such it is the last phase of the project. What's done in the QC phase is:

1) reading through the translated lines for typos,

2) checking that the translation is consistent for each route (e.g. the way the character speaks is constant),

3) line placement is correct (i.e. the words fit in the text box - this rarely needs fixing, however),

4) fixing the above errors if found.

Assuming the QC'er is a native English speaker this phase doesn't take that long. At most it will take twice the amount of time it takes to play through the game once - if there are no typos and the translation is consistent, it takes exactly the same time as playing through the game once.

Thus the answer to your question, Apollo, is: a 5000 line QC takes less than 7 months. Depending on the reader it takes less than 7 hours.

Also if you guys dread translating sex scenes, I know a guy that made it easier by just using different kinds of slang, Its hard to cringe when youre laughing your ass off

I'm against this idea. I really hope the translation team will take any and all translation seriously. I don't play these games for the sex scenes, but I wouldn't want to feel that I am missing anything due to bad translation. I'd like to think that the experience I am getting from a game is as close to the original as is feasible in a proper English translation.

Assuming the QC'er is a native English speaker this phase doesn't take that long. At most it will take twice the amount of time it takes to play through the game once - if there are no typos and the translation is consistent, it takes exactly the same time as playing through the game once.

This estimate is, at best, silly. Even in the strange circumstance where Ouraibaa doesn't change a single thing I wrote, reading with a critical eye takes significantly longer than reading for fun. If you think you can do the job that fast, I would not want you to do it.

Making all the characters sound weird in sex scenes would be bad and unprofessional. The real problem is, the original sex scenes in Majikoi are frequently bad, disgusting, stupidly long, and/or filled with repetitive onomatopoeia. Though there are a few diamonds in the rough...

• 3 weeks later...