English Lesson Plan Idea

OriginalRen

Hey all,

I was doing some planning today for a lesson schedule this week and want to know what you think. While I actually start teaching the lesson tomorrow, it's only for 1 of my classes all day and so I still think I have some time to tweak it if I need to for my other classes. The lesson in question is about Valentine's Day, and will only be used in my adult classes. The levels of adults I teach fit into the following categories:

• Elementary Level
  • Pre. Intermediate Level
  • Intermediate Level

For the most part, each level is pretty intelligent and most of my classes understand basic concepts when it comes to English. While my lesson itself has plenty of material to use, I was trying to find ways to do some concept checking and drilling exercises. I have a few ideas which I will list below, but if you have any additional ideas let me know.

Thanks!

Please note that this is not a complete lesson plan outline which lists potential student problems and time restraints. It is a brainstormed idea.

Valentine's Day Lesson Plan Outline:

1. Warmer Activity ("I like..." versus "I love..."):

The students will work as a group with me to list things they like and compare that to things they love, which in this case has a stronger feeling to it (i.e. = I like pizza, I love ice cream).

2. Vocabulary:

• Love Letters/Notes
  • Heart
  • Chocolate (white, milk, dark)
  • Arrow
  • Cupid
  • Roses/Flowers
  • Date
  • Single
  • Boyfriend/Girlfriend

3. Language Focus (Ideas):

A. Like, love (things and certain people), love (romantic affection), dislike/don't like, hate, detest/despise (abhor - writing)

B. Boyfriends vs. girlfriends ("girls who are friends," actual girlfriends)

C. Rose colors:

• Red - love, romance
  • Yellow - friendship, jealousy (envy)
  • Pink - "love" (less than red; a fail safe color if you're not sure what to get)
  • White - apology, remembrance (funerals), new beginnings
  • Orange - enthusiasm (a combination of aspects in both red and yellow roses, but not quite as strong as them individually)

D. Language:

• "Will you be my valentine?" - Future intent at the time of speaking, "Are you...?/Do you have a...?" (can use vocab here)
  • Imperative forms (i.e. = be my valentine, be mine)
  • Idioms (i.e. = love is in the air, break someone's heart, have a crush on someone, hit it off, dump someone)

4. Materials:

A. Bingo sheets with vocab

B. Candy heart phrases (i.e. = be mine, cool cat, top dog, love bird)

C. Worksheets for filling in the best word choice based on affection level

D. Blank cards and materials for creating cards

And that's it! Any ideas, let me know. Like I said, I am looking for concept checking and drilling exercises aside from the ones I listed in the materials section.

Looking really good! A lot of people (especially those who don't have English as their mother tongue) I know still struggle to grasp the true distinction between the different meanings of 'to like something/someone' vs. 'to love something/someone' so I'm very glad to see you dedicating a part of your lesson to that specific issue. I think this also incorporates a lot of cultural differences which is something you might be able to touch upon during your lesson as well (I am probably not as well versed in Japanese culture as you are but I would assume there to be significantly different approaches to love in Japan versus the traditional western concepts of love/dating/etc...).

I can see you're very passionate about this so I have full confidence you'll do fine either way though  ^_^

Overall  i think is Nice idea .

(PS: forgive me if i comment something useless.....)

2. Vocabulary:

maybe add "important" and "warm" or "comfortable"?

3. Language Focus (Ideas):

C. Rose colors? ---------   (rose only? maybe make it variety different flower)

here the site tell "Meanings of 10 Valentine’s Day Flowers"  (press slide to continue)

"http://www.womansday.com/life/holidays/flower-meanings#slide-1"

OriginalRen-san,

like Tyrael-san say , you're very passionate planning the lesson.

You already success in my eye already.

(PS: if can please least say "suki" or "daisuki" during class....... ............ quite embarrassing......) 

what about using the word "care", "worry" etc , you can't love if you don't care about someone or even worry, you can get really deep about the meaning of something and not just something really elemental  like "I love my father/mother" "I like my dog" wouldn't be more interesting to say and teach them something like "I care for my parents because they take care of me every day so i love them very much.." i don't know, i know it sounds cheesy but you get the idea :P and by doing this you don't have to express yourself like a 5 years old kid like "I like apple juice" "I love the earth" etc etc

How old are your students, again?

Adults, so ages ranging from 18 to as old as 70. Obviously some of these activities will work better at higher levels (such as explaining the differences between like, love, and the other words). Overall, most of my students should be able to understand this, I just can't think of anything to concept check or drill them. Being adults, I really don't know what they would consider "fun."

Adults, so ages ranging from 18 to as old as 70. Obviously some of these activities will work better at higher levels (such as explaining the differences between like, love, and the other words). Overall, most of my students should be able to understand this, I just can't think of anything to concept check or drill them. Being adults, I really don't know what they would consider "fun."

Here's something I did in my English class back in the Russia days: we had an activity where we had to design the "perfect date" -- together we brainstormed up useful words (dinner, movies, ice skating, drama theater, etc.), I gave them a few minutes, and then they needed to tell/report back to me a short idea of what kind of date they'd like to go on for Valentine's day. We went around the classroom until everybody had reported in. That was totally fine, socially, for Russian culture but you'd know better than I if it would be ok in your new cultural world.

I like your ideas, though, quite a bit. Making Valentine's Cards was a great idea imo.

I think it's a cute idea for a Valentine's Day lesson.

I've never really had any class completely celebrating the day, so I wouldn't know.

If the class ever did, we disregarded learning anything in that day.

It's a little bit different from how it's taught here though.

I see future tense, imperative forms, and idioms. I haven't gone through a day learning all these hand-in-hand. It's sort of a different lesson every day, and then relating each lesson to each other after learning each and every one. Of course, that's if you haven't taught them those lessons yet.

Overall, it's very good. I'm sure it's gonna be fun. However, if I were to make Valentine's Cards, I'd be giving one to everyone in the class. I sure hate leaving people out.

Goodluck!

Thanks for the ideas everyone! Today's lesson was a huge success and the ladies loved it (I mean that in a good way). I'll incorporate a few other ideas for tomorrow's round of lessons.

Also Tay...what? You taught English?

*Wipes tear away* I think we talked about this during our first interview. I'll try not to, y'know, take it too personally. : P

Yay! Glad it went well (not surprised, tho -- it's too fun a topic and you're too engaging a person for it to have bombed).

*Wipes tear away* I think we talked about this during our first interview. I'll try not to, y'know, take it too personally. : P

Yay! Glad it went well (not surprised, tho -- it's too fun a topic and you're too engaging a person for it to have bombed).

I remember Russia, but the English part completely blew past me. I shall atone for my sins in the mountains.