Making a VN

HopefullyAHero

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, just move this or delete as you guys see fit.

Anyway, one of my biggest goals in my life to do is to make a video game, (Which is kinda a VN) or write a book. Thankfully, a Visual Novel is something that takes care of these two at the same time.

More importantly, I want experience because if my long-term goal in life is to make video games, then I have to start somewhere. Finally, I really want to introduce VNs into the western staes even more, even making them something that Triple A developers would think of making.

Unfortuantly, I have no idea what progams I could use and if it would cost a certain amount of money. Any and all help will be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

The first place to look if you plan to make a VN would be Ren'Py. With your goal to make games other than just VNs though it might also be worth looking at other programming languages such as java. I'm not too sure on further specifics though.

Ren'py is your best choice for making VNs, takes just a few minutes to learn how to write scripts for it and as far as I know royalty free. Unity is a good royalty-free engine for game development in general, so if you were wanting gameplay within the VN it would be a good choice. 

ill help you with some stuff, these sites will help with your game (guarantee or your money back, well they're free site  :wahaha: )

music - incompetech

background - pixabay

sound effect - freesound.org

story outline - twine

and lastly where to share our game - gamejolt (free only games) or amazon indie store

I really like this community. You guys are really helpful and don't make fun or joke even if it's really easy in a situation. (Like this one.) :o

Anyway, if I used used Ren'Py or anything similar, would I have to pay any money to them for using their application or system? As far as hosting one, wouldn't Steam be good enough?

I really like this community. You guys are really helpful and don't make fun or joke even if it's really easy in a situation. (Like this one.) :o

Anyway, if I used used Ren'Py or anything similar, would I have to pay any money to them for using their application or system? As far as hosting one, wouldn't Steam be good enough?

well renpy is free to use, there is nothing to pay and you can change it anyway you want it. Steam is a horrible place because you must pay  $100 dollars to even have the game in steam and another $100 for greenlight, trust me steam only wants money not free games.

I would say, don't worry about hosting until you have a game to host. For now, focus on breaking down the problem into small achievable goals, order them reasonably (hosting/distribution would probably not even have made it to my list of things to worry about, if I were making a VN), and then tackle them one by one.

Assuming you aren't already an expert at making games, the guidance to use Ren'py is very good advice. Ren'py is free for you to use, and it will get you quickly situated into a place where you mostly worry about the aspects of a VN that are fun (both as a player and as a creator):

- script

- art

- music

Speaking as someone with no experience but who's put some thought into what it would take, you should probably start by briefly working through some Ren'py tutorials so you can figure out how to organize your own "assets" within that framework, and then once you've got the gist of that, go to town on the creative side of things.

for making something with more gameplay elements one of the RPGmaker programs is a good place to start... very easy to use and good enough that plenty of games made with it are sold on sites (well in Japan) as actual eroge titles along side the big name AAA company ones

Lot's of English eroge HRPG and VN/RPG hybrids are around made with it as well... a few have pretty sizeable backing with Patreon and whatnot... 

Well, I would say the first thing you need to do is gathering some more people for other parts of the work (programming, art, music, blah blah). Don't try to handle everything alone and rely too much on pre-made stuff on the internet. Seriously, don't.

For program, yeah, Ren'py is the best, most of indie VN making team use it. User-friendly and easy to learn.

For hosting and stuffs, yeah, just leave them for later, when you settled with your PJ. You can just make your own website and distribute the game there (will require some promotion work, maybe through Facebook, twitt...no not that, Fuwa, v...v..), or maybe contact Sekai Project if you feel like it? And hell, maybe just go straight to Steam. Will cost you some bucks though.

For the cost, it will mostly depend on what you want to do with your staff member recruitment's work, since most of the cost for a VN project are from staff member's salary. If you can "lure" your friends into your PJ, then hooray, free human GET! If not, you may want to consider putting your PJ up on Kickstarter to get funding.