Remaking a VN in Ren'Py

TG Bingo

i am new to these forums so i am not sure if this is the exact place for this to go. So i have spent the last 2 hours Remaking Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi in Ren'Py because there is no English patch out there other then running a translation overlay software and i like to play these games without having to use those programs. I didn't get to far like the first 5 min of game play  as i am still new to the program and have had to redo entire sections because i used a wrong script setup but i am getting much better at it. so my question is do you guys think i wouldn't be wasting my time doing this and uploading the full version once i am finished for others and if you guys want to see the progress for it and maybe a demo once i get to something like an hour of game-play.

I'm pretty sure Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi runs on KiriKiri, there's already tools to extract from that engine and others:

http://tlwiki.org/index.php?title=Tools

I also found this arc unpacker tool on github that claims to work on that VN in particular

https://github.com/vn-tools/arc_unpacker

And either way if your only problem is not knowing how to extract/insert scripts you can always ask around.

I guarantee you re-coding the entire game is a much bigger waste of time than trying to find someone to extract scripts for you.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

I'm pretty sure Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi runs on KiriKiri, there's already tools to extract from that engine:

http://tlwiki.org/index.php?title=Tools#KiriKiri2.2FKAG3

I also found this arc unpacker tool on github that claims to work on that VN in particular

https://github.com/vn-tools/arc_unpacker

And either way if your only problem is not knowing how to extract/insert scripts you can always ask around.

I guarantee you re-coding the entire game is a much bigger waste of time than trying to find someone to extract scripts for you.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Well to create a proper remake you would have to extract the assets from the game anyways, unless you are making it without any art/bgm/voice. If you're capable of extracting the assets then it's not much of a step up to alter the scripts, which is loads less trouble than remaking the entire game.

Nosebleed is right. It's far easier to create a patch by yourself than remake an entire VN for the same purpose.

However this is not necessarily a waste of time. There's many, many old/retro VNs that scream for a remake

and Ren'py is totally capable of that. Seasons of Sakura for example got a brazilian re-release vía Ren'py and

all time classics like "True love" or "paradise heights" would benefit from the revamp. Whatever you decide to
do, good luck.  ;)

Do keep us posted, I am personally interested in this VN getting a eng patch and/or anything ren'py related. 

I don't know the true reasons behind it but project sekai is using renpy to translate was Lepidoptera ...why? I don't have any idea but they are doing it.

Porting.

Not only are they translating it but they are also moving over the assets and script to Ren'py.

Not common, but definitely not unheard of. :P

you are right they are porting it too, again nobody knows why :ph34r:

Compatibility. VN players are used to going through extra steps to play Japanese games, but they want the game to be accessible to new players and available on steam. They also talked about remastering it. The added work of porting a VN instead of just altering the scripts becomes a lot viable when you are actually making money off the project, and are getting crowdfunded for it in the first place.

Compatibility. VN players are used to going through extra steps to play Japanese games, but they want the game to be accessible to new players and available on steam. They also talked about remastering it. The added work of porting a VN instead of just altering the scripts becomes a lot viable when you are actually making money off the project, and are getting crowdfunded for it in the first place.

I backed the campaign and dind't know this, thanks for the info :P

Hello,

I am the developer of arc_unpacker. I'm afraid that in its current form, it can be used only for resource extraction.

However, I'd be glad to help you with translating the game by developing a tool for you, that allowed putting translated text back into the game.

Since I have no experience with any translation projects, I'd need guidance regarding your expectations from the hypothetical tool's interface (for example, if you're okay with console tools or not).

Anyway, unfortunately this would need to wait until I'm done porting the Ruby code into C++, which I optimistcally presume will happen in about a week.

• 1 year later...
On 2/9/2015 at 6:44 AM, rr- said:

Hello,

I am the developer of arc_unpacker. I'm afraid that in its current form, it can be used only for resource extraction.

However, I'd be glad to help you with translating the game by developing a tool for you, that allowed putting translated text back into the game.

Since I have no experience with any translation projects, I'd need guidance regarding your expectations from the hypothetical tool's interface (for example, if you're okay with console tools or not).

Anyway, unfortunately this would need to wait until I'm done porting the Ruby code into C++, which I optimistcally presume will happen in about a week.

You done with it? I would like to get started on translating ASAP