Post pics you like (Powered by Jun Inoue™)

VN-Angel

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Riku said:

67635961_10157532382604059_7120657659069

Yeah, I noticed that. Well, it's quite a well known phenomenon in physics that different materials often react differently to the same type of radiation. Actually, from what I understand, all microwaves are set up in a way that they are the best when warming up water, but, I guess, ceramics just happens to react to this radiation quite well too. Actually, I noticed that wetting food with boiled water just a bit before microwaving it often improves how it tastes in the end and how easily it warms up.

Microwave ovens emit microwaves at a frequency that makes water molecules rotate, adding kinetic energy and heating the water in the food, which in turn heats the rest of the dish (because thermal energy is basically kinetic energy on a microscopic scale).

If the plate gets hot it's because it got microscopic scratches which small amounts of water can flow into. Ceramic itself is practically transparent to the microwaves, meaning it doesn't absorb any energy from the microwaves and doesn't get heated directly. The food itself not heating up properly has to do with the microwaves not reaching far beyond the surface of the dish so most of the heat gets distributed around the edges.