X-Change 2 Alternative translation project and other Crowd related games

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll go ahead and make the comments that needed to be stated in regards to this game.

1) The project is no more than 2% translated.  We created a very minor patch to verify that our text would insert properly, and that with proper font files, etc, copied, the game would be readable.  The text was barely edited, and you don't even get a proper introduction to all of the main characters.  Accordingly, the test patch was internal only.  Granted, the patch did work for all intents and purposes, but there wasn't enough to do anything with.  Not even demos are 3 scripts long.

2) We don't have an actual translator.  A few people have attempted to machine translate, only to have those of us who specifically stated "No Machine Translating" delete those lines, as they didn't even make sense.  Any legitimate translator we HAVE had has dropped the project and/or disappeared.  This one speaks for itself in terms of how a project is actually going.

3)  Most of us have dropped the project in general, not because we aren't fans of the series (I am a massive fan of the X-Change games myself), but because we didn't have the right people to begin with.  I am included on this list.

If somebody fluent in Japanese wanted to come in and work on this, they can have the scripts.  Get a hold of Kaz for a link to the Google docs.  If you have additional questions, like how to get in contact with hackers, etc, Kaz should know all of the answers.

The official status of this project is Dropped.  As such, if a mod could lock this thread, I would be grateful.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll go ahead and make the comments that needed to be stated in regards to this game.

1) The project is no more than 2% translated.  We created a very minor patch to verify that our text would insert properly, and that with proper font files, etc, copied, the game would be readable.  The text was barely edited, and you don't even get a proper introduction to all of the main characters.  Accordingly, the test patch was internal only.  Granted, the patch did work for all intents and purposes, but there wasn't enough to do anything with.  Not even demos are 3 scripts long.

2) We don't have an actual translator.  A few people have attempted to machine translate, only to have those of us who specifically stated "No Machine Translating" delete those lines, as they didn't even make sense.  Any legitimate translator we HAVE had has dropped the project and/or disappeared.  This one speaks for itself in terms of how a project is actually going.

3)  Most of us have dropped the project in general, not because we aren't fans of the series (I am a massive fan of the X-Change games myself), but because we didn't have the right people to begin with.  I am included on this list.

If somebody fluent in Japanese wanted to come in and work on this, they can have the scripts.  Get a hold of Kaz for a link to the Google docs.  If you have additional questions, like how to get in contact with hackers, etc, Kaz should know all of the answers.

The official status of this project is Dropped.  As such, if a mod could lock this thread, I would be grateful.

This is depressing news indeed, as I was looking forward to this a lot, but I suppose that's how things go. Dedicated translators are a rare breed. Hopefully a kind-hearted translator will eventually come revive this project

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I'm pretty proficient in Japanese. Not quite fluent by any means but enough that it shouldn't be too hard to make my way through a script. I also happen to have a fair amount of free time on my hands right now. And I've really enjoyed the other X-Change games, so I'd like to see a translation made for this.

Let me know if you still need a translator, or send me the script and I'll see how feasible it is for me to work on it.

-Din

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Its been a while since this has been up. I just finished X-change alternative 1, this morning :)

and a hell of a 48 hours it's been.

While it hasn't been "life changing" like Otaboku,

It made me feel, strongly.

I have machine translation,

It's shit! I know. But assuming the words themselves can be tranlated,

if they can be linked together,

this  game can be translated.

I cannot say it will be 100% what the Authors wrote, or even 90%,

But it could quite be close.

Anyone who has writen a story/script knows that the authors

wrestle just as hard with plotlines and endings as we sometimes wrestle trying to accept them,

sometimes the names, the flow, the language is literally decided by a coin flip.

If you can share what you have,

I will start from scratch this weekend to see if this project,

despite taking all personal enjoyment from X-change 2 away from me,

will be viable via the method I have in mind. 

I have writing experience,

Proofreading is close to perfect (12+ in months journalism)

and have some game experience (RPG maker Vace, Renpy, etc)

In addition if I do get shipped out for medic training next month

i will be far from home with little to occupy my evenings and weekends.

I have tried (and failed) to translate some games myself in the past,

but perhaps if I am not alone this can be managed together.

I do not yet know what design software was used to make this,

so to save time for formatting

if you can send me a script file,

in the same format that your patch would be able to overlay the original text,

it may save time....