Mangagamer 2015 Releases

Vargas

There are some vague references to incidents in ones that happen in earlier eras or years, but the general sense is that each story in the Steampunk universe is an encapsulated one on its own. 

I think the talk about the different continents and different kinds of cultures in Inganock might have made more sense to me if I read its predecessor first, since that one was a world-traveling adventure tale. Those are the kinds of details one might miss by not being able to play all of them in order, but it's not anything major. 

I remember Koestl mentioning that Gakthun was picked because it was the most "stand alone" game of the series.

It'd be cool if they brought over the rest though, preferably in production order.

I'm hoping that after Gahkthun they suddenly anounce rail-soft title, like Albatross maybe.

Isn't that game awfully hard? Afaik it's reputed for its writing.

I remember Koestl mentioning that Gakthun was picked because it was the most "stand alone" game of the series.

It'd be cool if they brought over the rest though, preferably in production order.

Isn't that game awfully hard? Afaik it's reputed for its writing.

I can't imagine them ever doing Celenaria, it's not very highly regarded, for sure. As for the others, they don't want to retranslate stuff that's already been fan translated, although they might do it anyways. They're mainly worried about competing against a free fan patch, which would a tough sell for a lot of people, even if the translation is a lot better (people aren't happy with amaterasu's translations). They only have so much time and a lot of games to potentially cover, so I have a feeling they simply won't translate some of them.

Mmm... tbh, Mangagamer's localizations aren't so much better than a decent fantl that I'd want to go out of my way to get one for games that have already been fantled.  I'd like to see more of Liar-soft's Steampunk series translated, simply on principle (good VNs should be translated, even if I don't adore them). 

Edit:  I'm an efficiency nut, so if I don't think anyone will profit from an effort, I won't recommend it, lol.  At this point, the steampunk series games that are translated have been out there so long that the majority of the fanbase for VNs has either played them or has at least downloaded them...  and for someone waiting for translations, increasing the total number of tled VNs is a good thing in and of itself.

Mmm... tbh, Mangagamer's localizations aren't so much better than a decent fantl that I'd want to go out of my way to get one for games that have already been fantled.  I'd like to see more of Liar-soft's Steampunk series translated, simply on principle (good VNs should be translated, even if I don't adore them). 

Well not all of their tl's but Koestl (who is translating Gahkthun) is definitely a lot better than the average fan tl'er.

Note that I didn't say 'average' I said 'a decent' fantl.  There is a huge gap between the two *smiles dryly*.

Edit: Incidentally, I don't have anything against companies re-translating or relocalizing fantled VNs.  However, I do think that when you get something on the level of quality produced by say, Amaterasu, it really is a waste of time, energy, and money.  The likelihood the company in question is going to get back its investment in buying the license and paying their people to 'relocalize' it is very low, and so it doesn't make good business sense to do so. 

Going back to the point on MG licensing subpar titles when they could get "better" ones, I suspect they might be trapped either by company willingness (they will request MG do certain titles first or w/e, has been mentioned by MG themselves) or licensing costs (presumably good old goddamn voices are a big part of that at times).

Shiny Days will be out this year?  Source?

No source, just speculation. Those were my predictions. Shiny Days' translation has been finished for a good while now so if it doesn't release this year JAST would be fucking up even more than usual. Except now, it actually seems like they've been getting their act together lately. Unless the translation is a disaster that requires extensive rewrites like Sumaga, it shouldn't take that long to finish up.

No source, just speculation. Those were my predictions. Shiny Days' translation has been finished for a good while now so if it doesn't release this year JAST would be fucking up even more than usual. Except now, it actually seems like they've been getting their act together lately. Unless the translation is a disaster that requires extensive rewrites like Sumaga, it shouldn't take that long to finish up.

Who is doing the programming for it though? Overflow is in big trouble from what I remember (I think they might've even filed for bancrupcy IIRC) so if they're in charge it might take some time even with a finished translation.

Who is doing the programming for it though? Overflow is in big trouble from what I remember (I think they might've even filed for bancrupcy IIRC) so if they're in charge it might take some time even with a finished translation.

JAST is, of course. MG and JAST do the programming for most of their projects. It's unusual when a partner wants to do it for them.

Overflow has been more or less defunct for a couple years now.

I know people have heard me yap on this before, but Sumaga isn't something to look forward to... it is something to avoid like the plague.  Sumaga marks the line where Nitroplus's main company stopped making truly excellent games (with the exception of Muramasa) and began making crap games.  Without the cooperative effort of the Science series and their yaoi side-ventures, Nitroplus would have gone under long ago...