Persona

p4izanagi

This is all predicated that your claim that BotW is the objectively better game and others are wrong for disagreeing. If I think BotW is better than Persona 5 and that it deserves GOTY over it, I'm wrong? Objectivity in that sense doesn't exist, and you should stop your attempts at asserting your opinion.

This is not a conversation you're going to enjoy having. This is not a conversation I'm enjoying having. We should probably halt this right now.

Edited by Decay

3 minutes ago, TexasDice said:

This was and will always be always the case. 

True enough, but there were always some webs here and there that took it a bit more seriously. But the BotW phenomena has just been insane. 10/10s as the standard with most reviews not really being able to back it up half-decently, I don't remember that many game releases where this kind of stuff has happened. It's been all over the place, with the most supportive reviews claiming it's the best game of history (and I don't mean the classic 2/3 nuts).

7 minutes ago, Decay said:

This is all predicated that your claim that BotW is the objectively better game and others are wrong for disagreeing. If I think BotW is better than Persona 5 and that it deserves GOTY over it, I'm wrong? Objectivity in that sense doesn't exist, and you should stop your attempts at asserting your opinion.

This is not a conversation you're going to enjoy having. This is not a conversation I'm enjoying having. We should probably halt this right now.

Well, I mean, if you don't want to discuss I won't? :OurLordAndSavior:

21 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

I do have it (played and completed most of it), and I'll say that that idea is basically 50/50. BotW takes the open world idea and gives it some nice extra ideas, like more interaction with the environment and objects thx to Link's runes and physics. But the world is also a bit simplistic, the monsters very few in details and variety, and the game loses kind of their imagination after the 50/60th shrine. It really doesn't take the formula anywhere forward.

The thing is, BotW is a reaaaaally great game. But a really great game implies an 8, maybe. But scores are so very inflated, and mainstream franchises are always so hyped up, that the game got insta-10/10 everywhere even from people whose review basically admits that the game is faulty in some areas and aspects.

Hmmm, well take this with a grain of salt because this is just what I'm hearing (haven't confirmed it myself.) The open world genre can be split into two categories, a traditional "controlled world" formula which is like a linear game placed on an open world map. It's like a scripted world, it's open but with cutscenes and fetch quests which means that one player's path will be similar to another player's path.

The new kid on the block is the "engaged world", which builds an open world and the game itself is that exploration. It leaves people to craft their own adventures. Craft their own narratives. And these experiences will be different enough to each other to encourage sharing on social media. Which is what's happening to BotW.

BotW leans towards the "engaged world" and a lot of people are excited. That being said a lot of people were excited about "The Sims" franchise and I never found it to be an engaging game ...

Anyway, that's just what I hear :P 

9 minutes ago, Darklord Rooke said:

Hmmm, well take this with a grain of salt because this is just what I'm hearing (haven't confirmed it myself.) The open world genre can be split into two categories, a traditional "controlled world" formula which is like a linear game placed on an open world map. It's like a scripted world, it's open but with cutscenes and fetch quests which means that one player's path will be similar to another player's path.

The new kid on the block is the "engaged world", which builds an open world and the game itself is that exploration. It leaves people to craft their own adventures. Craft their own narratives. And these experiences will be different enough to each other to encourage sharing on social media. Which is what's happening to BotW.

BotW leans towards the "engaged world" and a lot of people are excited. That being said a lot of people were excited about "The Sims" franchise either and I never found it to be an engaging game ...

Anyway, that's just what I hear :P 

Oh no, it's definitely true. The world itself in BotW is beautifully crafted. It quite shows that they put their time and effort into it, which is why it sticks out like a sore thumb to me that the monsters (roaming or in bases) are so... well, boring. There are very few kinds of monsters that act the same, and there's like a couple of different kinds of bases. It's why I spoke of "faulty areas". Kind of following in the topic you touched upon, this breaks the immersion a bit, since the world itself feels so alive, but the enemies not so much.

The weapons system is kind of a grey topic, and so are the divine beasts. It's pretty much a really good game with a couple aspects that feel sorely lacking in contrast (hence why I consider it an 8/10 game).

15 minutes ago, TexasDice said:

By the way and to stay on topic: 

This Persona 5 sure is one of them great video games. I'm really glad my mom had a spare PS4 I could kidnap just for this game.

Your mom had a spare PS4? Wut? O.o

Edited by Jun Inoue

6 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Your mom had a spare PS4? Wut? O.o

A little over a year ago, my mother was working for a small, local version of amazon. They moved to a different state and because of that, had to fire all employees and empty their warehouses in a big employee-only sale. Probably to write off some taxes.

My mom snatched herself a PS4, an Xbox One and a Wii U for ~20 Bucks each. The xbox was gifted to my sister's husband, I got the Wii U and my mom used the PS4 as a DVD player. Until now.

5 minutes ago, TexasDice said:

A little over a year ago, my mother was working for a small, local version of amazon. They moved to a different state and because of that, had to fire all employees and empty their warehouses in a big employee-only sale. Probably to write off some taxes.

My mom snatched herself a PS4, an Xbox One and a Wii U for ~20 Bucks each. The xbox was gifted to my sister's husband, I got the Wii U and my mom used the PS4 as a DVD player. Until now.

Hori shito. Good for you, though. :makina:

Jesus Christ on a sandwich, I was bracing myself for Yahtzee's inevitable trashing of the game on zero punctuation like an asteroid was hurtling towards the Earth. Imagine my shock when he not only enjoyed the game, but nearly all of his criticisms I agree with.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/117081-Persona-5-Review

1 hour ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Jesus Christ on a sandwich, I was bracing myself for Yahtzee's inevitable trashing of the game on zero punctuation like an asteroid was hurtling towards the Earth. Imagine my shock when he not only enjoyed the game, but nearly all of his criticisms I agree with.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/117081-Persona-5-Review

It's a really good game. Flawed sure, but real good nonetheless. People seem to be shocked because Yahtzee doesn't say many good things about modern JRPGs but to be honest, there are few good things to say about modern JRPGs. 

EDIT: In general ... in recent times. There's been a bit of a resurgence lately

9 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

Dafuq there's been 24 pages of Persona crap over the years?

I'm too lazy to read so should i play P4G which has been sitting on my vita dust cabinet for decades or should i jump right into P5

I'm a P4G fanboy so of course I will recommend playing P4G, but by distancing myself from my fanboyism I would probably say just don't bother with the series. If you picked up P4G and didn't get absorbed enough to finish playing it, the persona series is probably just not for you. 

Otherwise the game-play is incredibly similar, but each is a self contained story with pretty much zero reference to each other so it doesn't really matter. 

Edited by Soulless Watcher

Same as Soulless said. If anything, P5 could be a bit easier to get into thanks to more fluid and improved gameplay, but if you couldn't get into the essence of P4G, then the same will probably happen for P5. If you wanna go for it though, I'd recommend P5, which in turn might hook you into the core ideology of the series and make playing later on P4G more rewarding.

13 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

At the very least we get another persona q and hopefully one of those four P5s is something besides a fighting or dancing game. 

I wouldn't say this like it's a guarantee. They're probably registering a lot of domains to cover all of their bases, and I doubt they have firm plans to make every single one of those games.

4 minutes ago, Decay said:

I wouldn't say this like it's a guarantee. They're probably registering a lot of domains to cover all of their bases, and I doubt they have firm plans to make every single one of those games.

True I think they registered P6-P10 at the beginning of the month, but at the very least it means it's on the table and by looking at the history of Atlus milking the persona series for all its' worth I would say there is at the very least a near guarantee that some of this list will be made. I remember Atlus talking about making a Persona 3 dancing game if P4 dancing all night sold well. 

Edited by Soulless Watcher

On 4/21/2017 at 4:19 PM, Darklord Rooke said:

P4D was Persona 4 Dancing all ... whatever, and P4U was Ultimax. I'm gonna guess P5D and P5U will be the same. No clue what AG and R stand for (heh, Persona 5 Racing all Night!)

I was originally thinking AG stood for their inevitable anime version but that could easily be their extended version as well. R is likely them covering their bases for a remaster/remake. Although in thinking about it R could also stand for Persona 5 Revolution/Rebellion/Revolt/Revelation/Rehabilitated/etc