Persona

p4izanagi

Random thought: we are considering the "dem rotten adults are evil!" to be a flaw of the game, setting up a white and black context. But... aren't most teenagers like that? I mean, we are seeing and living the game's story as teenagers, and ones that have been abused or suffered some form of oppression from society. And it's at that age when people are no longer young enough to just ignore what's around them, but not really adults to consider all the complexities and different aspects, so they look at society and think "wow, shit's so fucked up, this is almost a dystopia". And who can they blame? Well, the only people with power in society... adults.

So while it's logically flawed, I'd say this dumb black-and-white concept is what makes most sense narratively for our characters. If normal teenagers are like that, how could these characters who've personally suffered this kind of stuff feel any differently, if not blame adults even more intensely?

I'm at the beginning of the 5th palace, so dunno if things get dumber or not, but that's pretty much how this has felt to me up till now.

9 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Random thought: we are considering the "dem rotten adults are evil!" to be a flaw of the game, setting up a white and black context. But... aren't most teenagers like that? I mean, we are seeing and living the game's story as teenagers, and ones that have been abused or suffered some form of oppression from society. And it's at that age when people are no longer young enough to just ignore what's around them, but not really adults to consider all the complexities and different aspects, so they look at society and think "wow, shit's so fucked up, this is almost a dystopia". And who can they blame? Well, the only people with power in society... adults.

So while it's logically flawed, I'd say this dumb black-and-white concept is what makes most sense narratively for our characters. If normal teenagers are like that, how could these characters who've personally suffered this kind of stuff feel any differently, if not blame adults even more intensely?

I'm at the beginning of the 5th palace, so dunno if things get dumber or not, but that's pretty much how this has felt to me up till now.

Yeah sometime i forgot that they are still a bunch of teenagers 

Re playing it with that point in mind, i can sometime tolerance their view though not all of em 

Finally got through my first play-through and it only took a little over 100 hours (I spent some time grinding to fill out my compendium). All in all I'm very happy with the game it met all of my expectations and even exceeded some. My only major gripe is that I wish there were a couple more silly events, like in persona 4 golden.

I wonder if they are already planning a platinum edition or story dlc, there is an odd bit of dialogue a little ways after the last boss and an entire month is kinda just skipped over. 

11 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

It's currently within 10 kilometers of me but it got delayed due to costoms. 

2 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

I don't have a PS4 that's true

But at least having the game and listening to the OST would comfort me

So close yet ... so very far :( I feel for you mate, I really do ... cause I was playing the game yesterday and WHO BOY it's really good!

17 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Am I the only one saddened by the terrible certainty that BotW will win goty while P5 falls behind basically cuz the franchise is nowhere near as mainstream?

What, you care about what the public think ?

If you believe it to be the GOTY then isn't it enough? :makina:

4 minutes ago, Jade said:

What, you care about what the public think ?

If you believe it to be the GOTY then isn't it enough? :makina:

Never! I demand complete and absolute victory :reeee:

Also, it does bother me how shitty most "professional" websites still are towards popular franchises, even if it's a no-brainer that it'll always happen.

8 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Never! I demand complete and absolute victory :reeee:

Also, it does bother me how shitty most "professional" websites still are towards popular franchises, even if it's a no-brainer that it'll always happen.

They are still trapped in Mementos man.

2 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Am I the only one saddened by the terrible certainty that BotW will win goty while P5 falls behind basically cuz the franchise is nowhere near as mainstream?

To be fair, Breath of the Wild is said (I haven't played it myself) to have to take the open world formula (a difficult formula to succeed in) and move it forward. It's supposed to have been a spectacular success.

Persona takes a tried and true formula and just releases a polished re-iteration (standard dungeon crawling and dating sim stuff, with a story.)

BotW is just on a completely different scale to Persona. Personally I enjoy Persona a LOT but I don't believe it deserves to be a GOTY contender.

2 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

I've been over this kind of fanboyism for a long time, so no, you won't see me saddened by Persona 5's potential loss in any site's GOTY awards. Breath of the Wild has captivated a wide audience and is beloved by many, I won't presume to say that our tastes are superior to theirs, that's just asinine. 

4 minutes ago, Darklord Rooke said:

To be fair, Breath of the Wild is said (I haven't played it myself) to have to take the open world formula (a difficult formula to succeed in) and move it forward. It's supposed to have been a spectacular success.

Persona takes a tried and true formula and just releases a polished re-iteration (standard dungeon crawling and dating sim stuff, with a story.)

BotW is just on a completely different scale to Persona. Personally I enjoy Persona a LOT but I don't believe it deserves to be a GOTY contender.

I do have it (played and completed most of it), and I'll say that that idea is basically 50/50. BotW takes the open world idea and gives it some nice extra ideas, like more interaction with the environment and objects thx to Link's runes and physics. But the world is also a bit simplistic, the monsters very few in details and variety, and the game loses kind of their imagination after the 50/60th shrine. It really doesn't take the formula anywhere forward.

The thing is, BotW is a reaaaaally great game. But a really great game implies an 8, maybe. But scores are so very inflated, and mainstream franchises are always so hyped up, that the game got insta-10/10 everywhere even from people whose review basically admits that the game is faulty in some areas and aspects.

5 minutes ago, Decay said:

I've been over this kind of fanboyism for a long time, so no, you won't see me saddened by Persona 5's potential loss in any site's GOTY awards. Breath of the Wild has captivated a wide audience and is beloved by many, I won't presume to say that our tastes are superior to theirs, that's just asinine. 

And I agree, but I think that it speaks of one of the ills that "we" have in the videogame world that we care so little for objectivity sometimes. And we are at a point that if a game gets less than a 7, it's considered a failure. We are at a point where videogame scores are starting to mean nothing, and annual prizes are delivered to whoever makes more noise, not quality.

I do not agree to the last part, though. I don't consider asinine to be critic of the culture of the overhype and score inflation that we have and see on most games. I don't consider myself superior for seeing P5 as the better game, but I do think that it's definitely more good than bad to dislike the current situation. I'm not about to lead a rebellion to change the world, but I do still think about this stuff.