Persona

p4izanagi

8 minutes ago, Darklord Rooke said:

To be honest I'm preferring the characters from Persona 5 over those from Persona 4. The main characters from P4 (yosuke, Chie, Yukiko) all felt ... 'young' to me whereas there's a bit more maturity (ignoring Ryuji) from the ensemble this time around. 

Everything in P5 so far, from the characters to the story, just feels shallower. They're less immature than the P4 characters, but they're less... everything, than the P4 characters. They probably feel that way because the game isn't diving deep into their personalities and picking apart their flaws like P4 did.

Edited by Decay

5 hours ago, Mugi said:

Finished my first playthrough and started NG+ last night. Using the Japanese voices this time around. Ryuji and Morgana already sound much better, not that I had a problem with the dub aside from Haru.

Yeah, Haru voice is weird

Makoto voice somehow sounds same tho for me whether it's dub or original

2 hours ago, Darklord Rooke said:

To be honest I'm preferring the characters from Persona 5 over those from Persona 4. The main characters from P4 (yosuke, Chie, Yukiko) all felt ... 'young' to me whereas there's a bit more maturity (ignoring Ryuji) from the ensemble this time around. 

Isnt that because you're just too old to understand the youngling Rooke ? :makina:

2 hours ago, Decay said:

Everything in P5 so far, from the characters to the story, just feels shallower. They're less immature than the P4 characters, but they're less... everything, than the P4 characters. They probably feel that way because the game isn't diving deep into their personalities and picking apart their flaws like P4 did.

Yeah i agree with this.

But maybe that is just because the theme of the game is too different. P4 is all about accepting what you truly are , even the side that you desperately tried to hide from other.

While P5 do have a bit of this theme with 'Ignore what society think and be what you actually want to be' (I think) it clearly not the focus of the game. They are after all at first more concerned about how the society see the Phantom Thieves rather than actually doing it cause they think it's the right thing to do.

Also the only social link of the main party in P5 that is done well imo is only Yusuke. The rest of the party are kinda meh tbh, especially the girls but once again i'm probably biased as fuck.

Also an interesting thing i noted from 4th dungeon

Anybody else think the reason why Futaba isn't screaming in pain while getting her Persona is because she actually get a chance to met her shadow and accept what her shadow have to say ? lol

Edited by Jade

10 minutes ago, Jade said:

Isnt that because you're just too old to understand the youngling Rooke ? :makina:

:P 

To me Persona 4 had a superficial plot and it focused more on the characters. Persona 5 has a more substantial plot with a bit less focus on the characters. I like the balance more in P5 but if you like the characters I can understand why you'd go more for P4. Also I just have problems with the whole 'reaching into a TV' thing and why nobody just stuck their hand into a TV in front of people. Like the police, for instance.

I'm also digging the atmosphere in this game which is just the right amount of 'dark' for me, similar to P3.

Same, also prefer P5. Also, while P4 digged deeper into the characters, with its flaws and such, they ultimately felt superficial to me. The best example I can think of if Kanji, who confronts and accepts this supposed "side" of himself, and then the topic is promptly buried, no further self-discovery done (pretty sure we all know what I'm talking about, regarding Kanji). Even Ryuji, who's pretty boring as a character, feels more fleshed out than Yusuke.

So while the P4 cast has deeper, more complex arcs, I believe they had far less meaning than the P5 cast's acts of "rebellion". It's why I'm enjoying P5 more in basically all areas. It explores its characters' faults less, but the cast already feels very nuanced and human from the get-go.

(and I'm playing in English; no one will take away my dear Matt Mercer)

10 hours ago, Darklord Rooke said:

:P 

To me Persona 4 had a superficial plot and it focused more on the characters. Persona 5 has a more substantial plot with a bit less focus on the characters. I like the balance more in P5 but if you like the characters I can understand why you'd go more for P4. Also I just have problems with the whole 'reaching into a TV' thing and why nobody just stuck their hand into a TV in front of people. Like the police, for instance.

I'm also digging the atmosphere in this game which is just the right amount of 'dark' for me, similar to P3.

Indeed, there's more plot in P5, though I question how much that's worth when it's so juvenile and shallow. Whenever they have an opportunity to dig deeper into the issues that permeate every single aspect of the game, they sidestep and turn it into a black-and-white matter of good vs evil. I was really hoping for and expecting more. I'm still on the fourth dungeon but it doesn't look like this will change. Persona 5 is a game about social strife that lacks the balls to actually tackle social issues, beyond "evil people are bad." Wow.

Edited by Decay

50 minutes ago, Decay said:

Indeed, there's more plot in P5, though I question how much that's worth when it's so juvenile and shallow. Whenever they have an opportunity to dig deeper into the issues that permeate every single aspect of the game, they sidestep and turn it into a black-and-white matter of good vs evil. I was really hoping for and expecting more. I'm still on the fourth dungeon but it doesn't look like this will change. Persona 5 is a game about social strife that lacks the balls to actually tackle social issues, beyond "evil people are bad." Wow.

Seriously thanks for putting a damper on my hype, would've  been really difficult to get through my university exams otherwise.

1 hour ago, Decay said:

Indeed, there's more plot in P5, though I question how much that's worth when it's so juvenile and shallow. 

True and there's a super annoying 

adults are evil and rotton

theme running through the game that's just naive and childish and is just superficial as hell. It just makes me want to roll my eyes ... in fact I do constantly roll my eyes. Blaming everything on *refer to spoiler above* is such an utter cop out.

I'm a fan of the time constraints and the seriousness with which the characters treat the problem though. So the game is more constrained time wise which makes it better paced imo (it doesn't devolve into as much slice of life and makes the game more focused, which is a positive for me but a disappointment for others) and the characters are treating things with the gravity they deserve (except for Ryuji, who I want to eject out of an airlock. I'm sad this game isn't sci-fi because that means no airlocks :( ) It's mostly a preference thing, there's not too much different between the two but some will prefer one over the other. My sister loves the pants off Persona 4 and didn't like Persona 3 as much, but I was always the other way around.

One thing which is an undeniable improvement is the gameplay. The dungeons are superb, there's vertical space used in ledges and climbing and they're not randomly generated which is a massive improvement. There's more tactics, more skill types available, it's just another step up. 

53 minutes ago, Funyarinpa said:

Seriously thanks for putting a damper on my hype, would've  been really difficult to get through my university exams otherwise.

Pssst take a look at the Metacritic score! Some people are calling it the best JRPG of the decade. Mate, if you haven't played this game then you haven't lived and your soul will shrivel and become a dried husk. Think of Persona 5 as nourishment for your soul, you wouldn't want a malnourished, dried up teeny soul would you? :( 

Oh, and good luck on those exams :) 

22 minutes ago, Darklord Rooke said:

Pssst take a look at the Metacritic score! Some people are calling it the best JRPG of the decade. Mate, if you haven't played this game then you haven't lived and your soul will shrivel and become a dried husk. Think of Persona 5 as nourishment for your soul, you wouldn't want a malnourished, dried up teeny soul would you? :( 

Oh, and good luck on those exams :) 

I'm already missing out on enough meaningful things in life due to bad choices, P5 is a drop in the bucket

3 hours ago, Decay said:

I think you just defined both Persona 4 and 5, honestly. P5 doesn't have the balls to paint in greys, and P4 doesn't have the balls to tackle the issues it initially seems to go for but ultimately ignores.

8 hours ago, Darklord Rooke said:

True and there's a super annoying 

Reveal hidden contents

adults are evil and rotton

theme running through the game that's just naive and childish and is just superficial as hell. It just makes me want to roll my eyes ... in fact I do constantly roll my eyes. Blaming everything on *refer to spoiler above* is such an utter cop out.

Hey! Someone other than me doesn't like Ryuuji!

Also for the theme rather than that i actually think that 

Apathy, Labeling, and Bandwagon itself are what's wrong. People just like making assumptions without knowing what the actual story is.

Not just necessarily adult though the cast do often blame thing on 'Adults r bad!' they actually become more mature at the end and don't do that anymore

1 hour ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

So, if i get what Rooke say, Persona 5 is a mix between persona 4 and 3, but that is farther away from Persona 2? 

I wouldn't expect them to go back to P2 style of game, and I wouldn't want them to TBH. There's too few dating sim hybrids around and Persona does it so very well. That being said the sim gameplay will naturally dilute the strength of the story and its pacing (P2 better story) and other aspects so it would be hard for them to go back to that style while still incorporating dating sim gameplay.

1 hour ago, Funyarinpa said:

I think my TYH Edition gets delivered on Monday. 

No school that day (referandum the previous day). 

Oh fuck. 

Oh. FUCK. 

But ... what if it doesn't arrive? :( 

18 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

I'm not talking in term of gameplay, but in term of atmosphere. 

I don’t think it can. Persona these days is about strengthening the protagonist by forming relationships with (sometimes random sometimes not) people. It’s hard to generating the sort of traditional SMT creepy atmosphere while jauntily travelling the town helping your school’s nurse deal with her boyfriend trouble xD

Demon negotiations are back though. The frustrations it's causing is glorious :3