Visual Novel test, are useless or not?

Yes, i have worked on a project years ago as a QC. In fact, i have worked on 2, but on the second a friend of mine told me to help them because one of their QC left the group( due to family problems I think ), and the only work i had was to complete a 15% of the game.

Chuee, you are right. Absolutely right. I cant discuss anything you said.

Taking a test for translator is a bit impractical, because you have to actually have one to test one, lol.  That's why most projects that succeed are started by a translator, hahaha.   Editing... I'd have them write a short story on a theme you gave them, then see if they managed to make it interesting, if they repeat a lot of the same phrasing, and if their vocabulary of choice is large or small.  Quality-checkers... again, this isn't a testing issue, rather you are pretty much stuck with begging a veteran of proven skill for a straight quality check (of all aspects) and just about anyone with a strong grasp of English (or the target language) will do for a playthrough quality-check.

I think one thing that is needed to be taken into account as well when recruiting people (And I believe it's true for any role on any type of projects) is the ratio "offer / demand".

Typically, if I need to recruit someone that I know I will find very few, generally because the skill wanted is something rare, (An artist for an EVN project, or a translator for a fan trad project), I will automatically be less picky when a person is interested.

However if I need to recruit someone I know I will find many applicants (a writer for an EVN project, or QC for a fantrad), I will definitely be much more picky and make harder tests, because if I have the choice, why wouldn't I pick the best applicant?

You could argue by saying that then, if I have many applicants, recruiting several people less skilled but motivated is better than recruiting only one very skilled person. However, as a project lead myself, I can say it's actually more work for the leader, and that the time you might gain by having more people working on it, you will lose it in organization issues and while trying to harmonize the different style differences and skill difference between the applicants you recruited.