A problem with Quartett that just (sort of) ruins the experience.....

Tenkuru

So, I just picked up Quartett and I'm really loving the way it's presented to us. The manga-esque style is really vibrant and adds more life to it than any other visual novels I have read. A minute in and I already love this VN.

....However, there's one problem that has been bothering me from the start. I hate how the next speech bubble comes up before the character finishes speaking.... and just cuts his/her voice right off. Heck, for the most part, they cut themselves off! The settings doesn't help and it gets very annoying really fast.

I doubt it's a major problem if I'm just reading a regular VN, since I usually click before waiting for the character to finish speaking anyway. But Quartett isn't a regular VN, so it feels really out of place to me when they cut the characters' voices off mid-sentence. Am I the only one who's facing this problem? .....or am I the only one reading this......

My reading speed is too fast to let voices finish (or, sometimes, even properly start :sachi:), so this happens in almost every VN to me. I don't mind it. 

Of course, in particularly tense scenes in good VNs I'll let the voice finish (and sometimes, listen to it again, when there's an option to)... But that's not common.

I don't particularly see it as a problem. Can't you just wait for the voice to finish before clicking anyway? Or are you at auto-read? 

It's been a long time since I read Quarttet, and it was unremarkable, so I don't remember specifics.

I don't particularly see it as a problem. Can't you just wait for the voice to finish before clicking anyway? Or are you at auto-read? 

In Quartett, you're only allowed to click at certain points in a conversation, which is why the problem exists.

It's been a long time since I read Quarttet, and it was unremarkable, so I don't remember specifics.

That's kinda sad to hear, I'm actually having high expectations for it :(

Lots of people seem to like it. It's just not my type of story. I remember the unique presentation style, but outside of that, I don't even remember if Quartett is the one with the angel girl of if it's Period... Both get a 6 from me.

In Quartett, you're only allowed to click at certain points in a conversation, which is why the problem exists.

So did I, and sadly I was disappointed. It didn't feel like it captured or immersed me as a musical student. It felt like the musical aspect was more an excuse for characters to interact and get to know each other. I really wanted to experience what it would be like to live the everyday life of a promising musical student, but instead story focused on the musical competition, and didn't really flesh out its characters that much. However, after I read Quartett my next VN was Symphonic Rain. Which was great since Symphonic Rain succeeds in all the areas Quartett failed at. So if you haven't already, I suggest reading Symphonic Rain after Quartett.

I remember the unique presentation style, but outside of that, I don't even remember if Quartett is the one with the angel girl of if it's Period... Both get a 6 from me.

I believe I gave Quartett a 7, and that was mostly because of how impressed I was by the visual presentation. Had Quartett not used an innovative and unique presentation, it would have received a way worse score from me. I always reward art when it does something interesting, even if it fails. By the way, the angel girl was from Period. 

It is that way because the PC version was originally unvoiced, so the voices were imported from the ps2 version. Lowering the text speed helps a lot though. With my text settings the voices were able to finish 99% of the time before the next speech bubble appeared, I can check what those settings were later today when I get home.

The text speed will be rather slow though.

Also if you downloaded it from fuwanovel make sure that you delete the userdata folder that was included with the game otherwise what you've read won't be saved and you'll never unlock the final  epilogue.

It is that way because the PC version was originally unvoiced, so the voices were imported from the ps2 version. Lowering the text speed helps a lot though. With my text settings the voices were able to finish 99% of the time before the next speech bubble appeared, I can check what those settings were later today when I get home.

The text speed will be rather slow though.

Also if you downloaded it from fuwanovel make sure that you delete the userdata folder that was included with the game otherwise what you've read won't be saved and you'll never unlock the final  epilogue.