Mangagamer and Sekai Project best sellers in 2014

Down

very happy that immouto paradise sold that much & hope they try to translate the sequel too. personally dont consider it as nukige, its more like a vision of love & happiness.

Protip: If a VN gives you six erotic scenes during the common route, it's probably a nukige. And by probably, I mean factually. 

And god I hope Mangagamer doesn't touch the sequel. I hope nobody ever touches the sequel. It's a nightmare. With gigantic knockers. 

People who are saying the VN community prefers nukige: not necessarily true. I'd say that most of the people who buy VNs prefer nukige. but most of the VN community are also pirates who don't pay for anything. MG caters to their actual customers. They've talked in the past about how the number of people who pirate their games outnumber the number of people who buy them by a pretty large amount. I wouldn't be surprised if the overall audience actually didn't prefer nukige, but for as long as they're not buying anything, they won't matter as much to MG. This is where Steam can help shift things. Although we've seen a tendency for ecchi nonsense to outsell serious titles, I don't think the sample size on Steam is large enough to draw any concrete conclusions, nor is there any proof that the trends will continue as they are forever. I could see stuff like Sakura Spirit being a trend that dies out eventually, but I could also see that not happening. Well, I guess my point is that what people pay money for and don't pay money for will likely be very different on Steam. We'll see what happens when more large VNs with renown and marketing behind them are released on the platform, right now Cho Dengeki Stryker is the only title of its kind on Steam, and it's an obscure one that no one outside of the VN community has ever heard of. I remain optimistic for Grisaia no Kajitsu, as think it has a chance to even outsell every other VN released to Steam thus far. Don't think the few months of trends established thus far are an ironclad rule. Fads will die down, the market will become more diverse, customers will become more experienced and discerning, and so on. 

And since I know people are afraid of it, this doesn't mean the death of 18+ either. I don't see them dropping the eroge market for a couple reasons. One, the only real selection they have is eroge. That's what their partners make, that's what their parent companies make (they're jointly owned by companies like Circus and Hobibox), and that's what the majority of quality titles from Japan are. So those are the titles they will localize, and it will be worthwhile for them to localize and release two alternate versions as opposed to one single version. Two, if they play their cards right, Steam won't decrease sales of 18+ versions, but increase them as people become more aware of MangaGamer and eroge in general. There will continue to be money in eroge, I predict. The one thing that might change is that they may begin shying away from titles that can't be easily adapted to an all-ages version. Maybe games like Kara no Shoujo will be considered as much lower priority titles for localization, which would be a shame.

Ouch. Overall I'm optimistic about developments in the western commercial market, I think 2014 was a good year, but god this hurts. I'm old enough to know there's no point ranting just because my tastes aren't popular; I've pirated a lot of stuff in my time and have no problem with people getting off to whatever they choose as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. Still, to see very niche sexual-complex focused Nukige outselling the crap out of Cartagra shocks me. I dunno, maybe I'm the odd one? 

People who are saying the VN community prefers nukige: not necessarily true. I'd say that most of the people who buy VNs prefer nukige. but most of the VN community are also pirates who don't pay for anything. MG caters to their actual customers. They've talked in the past about how the number of people who pirate their games outnumber the number of people who buy them by a pretty large amount. I wouldn't be surprised if the overall audience actually didn't prefer nukige, but for as long as they're not buying anything, they won't matter as much to MG. 

Nukage sells alot because there is a big commercial incentive. It's cheaper to localize because the dialog isn't as difficult and there isn't as much of it and it's generally cheaper to license as well. That's why most nukage VN's are about 1/2 the price of more story driven eroge - which in turns also causes them to sell more (because they're cheaper, people are more likely to have 20 dollars to spend than 40 obviously).

If steam continues to the march towards having more VN's on it, I agree - this will shift over time. Also, it looks like they are starting to make tenative steps towards allowing more adult oriented content on Steam, which overall would be a good thing. 

Frankly, I think it will take something with the accessibility of Steam to break the hold that piracy has over VN's in the west. Right now it's very niche and most of the people who follow this niche know how to pirate very well. If it was on a distribution platform like Steam, then obviously sales will go up quite a bit. I wouldn't be surprised to see them double or triple the amount of units moved if this became common place.

Nukage sells alot because there is a big commercial incentive. It's cheaper to localize because the dialog isn't as difficult and there isn't as much of it and it's generally cheaper to license as well. That's why most nukage VN's are about 1/2 the price of more story driven eroge - which in turns also causes them to sell more (because they're cheaper, people are more likely to have 20 dollars to spend than 40 obviously).

MG's best-selling digital eroge last year was ImoPara--a full-length nukige currently selling for $45.  #2 was Ultimate Boob Wars.  #5 was Eroge.  All full-length titles selling for $45.  So no, the success of their nukige isn't explained by price.  And in fact, the price per hour of playtime in "budget" nukige is pretty high, making them a poor value.  Ironically, while MG deep discounts most of their story-driven eroge compared to Japanese release prices, their budget nukige sell at the same price or more in many cases.

MG's best-selling digital eroge last year was ImoPara--a full-length nukige currently selling for $45.  #2 was Ultimate Boob Wars.  #5 was Eroge.  All full-length titles selling for $45.  So no, the success of their nukige isn't explained by price.  And in fact, the price per hour of playtime in "budget" nukige is pretty high, making them a poor value.  Ironically, while MG deep discounts most of their story-driven eroge compared to Japanese release prices, their budget nukige sell at the same price or more in many cases.

*Sigh*

#2 was Ultimate Boob Wars.  

Oh, come on! It didn't even have gameplay like the first one did, how is it selling so well >:c

Oh, come on! It didn't even have gameplay like the first one did, how is it selling so well >:c

It's a better game.  Ultimate Boob Wars has significantly higher ratings on both EGS and VNDB vs. its prequel.  It's the highest-rated Softhouse Seal title MG has localized.  It has higher production values and some semblance of a plot.

It's a better game.  Ultimate Boob Wars has significantly higher ratings on both EGS and VNDB vs. its prequel.  It's the highest-rated Softhouse Seal title MG has localized.  It has higher production values and some semblance of a plot.

ahh yes, surely you mean the dramatic climax of the "story" where our hero succumbs to his instincts & his castle, the penis tower appeared.............

ahh yes, surely you mean the dramatic climax of the "story" where our hero succumbs to his instincts & his castle, the penis tower appeared.............

Can't forget the bad ending where the entire boob continent turned into a giant ass.

Even for a nukige, this thing was beyond shallow. I can't even imagine how awful the first one was if the sequel is supposed to be "better."

Can't forget the bad ending where the entire boob continent turned into a giant ass.

Even for a nukige, this thing was beyond shallow. I can't even imagine how awful the first one was if the sequel is supposed to be "better."

The first one was just really 'pick cards and beat the ladies to have sex with them'. 

Of course I, being the shallow person I am, still played it, since I have the autism of actually trying to complete things. So there you have it.

Though the part where you choose to battle big tits princess first and she turns into a BDSM princess was really hard. My ass got kicked.

Also, same as with Decay. Now I want to play the two games.

1. Imouto Paradise
  2. Ultimate Boob Wars!!
  3. Demon Master Chris
  4. Hypno-training My Mother and Sister 
  5. Eroge! ~Sex And Games Makes Sexy Games~
  6. Cho Dengeki Stryker
  7. Armored Warrior Iris
  8. Valkyrie Svia
  9. Really? Really!
  10. Cum on! Bukkake Ranch!

And Mangagamer wonders why people like me don't buy from them...

When I saw Cum on! Bukkake Ranch! I just kinda died a little inside.  Not that the others are much better, but that was the weirdest title of the bunch, in my opinion.

And Mangagamer wonders why people like me don't buy from them...

When I saw Cum on! Bukkake Ranch! I just kinda died a little inside.  Not that the others are much better, but that was the weirdest title of the bunch, in my opinion.

They try to bring in good titles though.

I'm here waiting for KnS2.

I honestly don't know what the "good games" they sell are.  I get kinda disgusted from the huge amount of nukige they have on display and don't really look around at what they have.  Any suggestions?

ef, KiraKira, Deardrops, Higurashi (but wait for the retranslation/remake), Cartagra, Kara no Shoujo (play cartagra first). These are all of at least decent quality. edit: I maintain that Da Capo 2 (but not 1) and Suika are also at least decent, but they're not very popular. Edelweiss is borderline. Shuffle is popular but I have no idea why. Everything else is quite unremarkable. edit 2: Cho Dengeki Stryker is kinda fun but is also the most generic shounen action story ever.

Evangile is apparently looking to be somewhat meh, though good on the moe front... anyway MG has a decent lot of non-nukige titles and some of them are quite good, so I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand. Personal recommendations would probably be Eden* (have not read, pick all-ages or sex-added as you wish), Kira Kira (also has all-ages version), and Deardrops. Some more picks from what I haven't read would be the Cartagra / Kara no Shoujo series (Cartagra first) since Down is a huge fanboy.

Aaeru really liked DCII but she was a big moege fan so that's probably a niche thing. Not sure if reading DCI is strongly recommended first, though there is some mythology shared iirc.

Evangile is apparently looking to be somewhat meh, though good on the moe front... anyway MG has a decent lot of non-nukige titles and some of them are quite good, so I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand. Personal recommendations would probably be Eden* (have not read, pick all-ages or sex-added as you wish), Kira Kira (also has all-ages version), and Deardrops. Some more picks from what I haven't read would be the Cartagra / Kara no Shoujo series (Cartagra first) since Down is a huge fanboy.

Aaeru really liked DCII but she was a big moege fan so that's probably a niche thing. Not sure if reading DCI is strongly recommended first, though there is some mythology shared iirc.

There's some shared mythology and one shared major character, but DC1 is not required reading by any means. And DC1 is pretty much just shit, so yeah, it's avoidable and you should only read it if you have a lot of free time. DC2 was a pretty large improvement, but DC1 was a really low starting point and I'd definitely fall short of calling DC2 great. But it definitely had some good things going for it, and was pretty entertaining at times. Except for the Koko route, fuuuuck that was bad.