VN with a lot of routes and options?

Miulei

I'm the kind of person who likes to have a lot of variety. It is the spice of life, after all. Which is why I'm looking for a good visual novel that has a lot of choices that actually matter to the story and a lot of possible routes to choose from. As for other specifics, I would prefer translated, but if you vouch that it's really good, I might check it out even if it isn't. I'm not picky about genres, so any is fine there.

Hmmm... I don't think I've seen a VN that has a lot of important choices in the story, VNs tend to make up for that with bigger deviations to the storylines (routes.) I suppose it would depend on your definition of "a lot." Because VNs have such significant deviations resulting from your choices, it tends to make having a lot of important choices difficult (aka nearly impossible.)

I think Little Busters has a lot of choices, but except for choosing the routes, they aren't really important to the story...

What would be the closest to what you're seeking would be Fate/Stay night, as there are a lot of choices in the VN that all matters (a good chunk of them being life or death matters), but unfortunately there aren't many routes, which is compensated by the fact the routes  in fate are really long (I am not taking into account the 30 different bad endings, some of them are very short though)

F/SN only has three routes, and you play them in sequential order. But there are a lot of choices that can lead to many bad ends. 

You can look at the More Than Seven Heroines tag on VNDB: https://vndb.org/g743?fil=tagspoil-0.tag_inc-743;m=0;o=d;s=pop Some notes about that, LB only qualifies when you consider the untranslated EX version, DC2 only qualifies with the untranslated Plus Communication version although the translated version has six routes and many choices along the way (although they only determine which of six routes you end up on), Majikoi only qualifies when looking at the side heroines, although those side routes can be surprisingly lengthy. To Heart 2 is alright but half of it is untranslated. Many of the gameplay ones have many heroines but you often just end up screwing them along the way in one of a select few routes. 

Ultimately, what you want isn't available in a many translated VNs. If you're looking for VNs with a complicated route structure with many choices, maybe you should look at Tsukihime and Clannad.

School Days comes to mind. There's loads of different ways for things to go down, but know that most of them end badly. Otherwise I can't think of many translated VNs where most choices have an immediate impact on the story.

I've played School Days. Not "most of them" end badly. It has three infamously bloody bad endings and in the rest, Makoto ends up with one or more of the girls. There have been re-releases with extra bad endings, but the number of good endings still far outweighs them. But yeah. I liked the interactivity of School Days, if nothing else.

I guess really, I like VNs that have more interactivity.

If you have a PS3 or PSP/Vita there's Hakuoki.

If you want something with a good number of heroines,  various possible endings and don't mind dark stuff on the untranslated end there's MinDead Blood, though in that game you're mainly choosing locations and which of the main characters will be at that location.

https://vndb.org/v1060

Also from Black Cyc is Extravaganza:

https://vndb.org/v324

Doesn't have as good a story as MDB (still pretty good though), but it has a large cast of characters who are at least interesting and is so full of choices the game actually maps them out. Thing is if you don't like tentacle ero, this is definitely not for you.

There are some games that manage the 'tons of endings and choices' thing right... Semiramis no Tenbin manages it, especially since a choice in that game frequently means a big difference about who suffers and who doesn't... and not always as you would expect it to. 

For a vn that has lots of choices that actually change the story I can only think of Grisaia no Kajitsu amongst the ones I played. Choices almost completely change the story.

I don't think you understand... That's just a standard multiple heroine route structure that is in the large majority of VNs we talk about here. Grisaia is actually notable for having extremely few choices. 

For a vn that has lots of choices that actually change the story I can only think of Grisaia no Kajitsu amongst the ones I played. Choices almost completely change the story.

Grisaia has a whopping total of 5-8 choices per route depending on whose route you go for (since you have to 'refuse' to go on a girl's route specifically in a certain order)

Considering the fact that Grisaia's common route takes about 12-15 hours to complete it's rather disheartening to know you only get three choices during that whole time (and one of them doesn't do anything either!).

If you compare this to a VN like Clannad where you get a 30-ish amount of choices per route (granted, several of them have no effect on the story but still...) PLUS the fact you have 10 unique routes AND after story then the amount of choices and routes in grisaia seem a bit poor, no?

I'm not counting Ryou's route in Clanand as a seperate route considering it's a 'bad end'

I don't think you understand... That's just a standard multiple heroine route structure that is in the large majority of VNs we talk about here. Grisaia is actually notable for having extremely few choices. 

But in most of the vns except of the last parts you pretty much have to read the same thing or skip it. I agree that there were few choices in Grisaia but i didn't feel like I was reading the same thing over and over.

Grisaia has a whopping total of 5-8 choices per route depending on whose route you go for (since you have to 'refuse' to go on a girl's route specifically in a certain order)

Considering the fact that Grisaia's common route takes about 12-15 hours to complete it's rather disheartening to know you only get three choices during that whole time (and one of them doesn't do anything either!).

If you compare this to a VN like Clannad where you get a 30-ish amount of choices per route (granted, several of them have no effect on the story but still...) PLUS the fact you have 10 unique routes AND after story then the amount of choices and routes in grisaia seem a bit poor, no?

I'm not counting Ryou's route in Clanand as a seperate route considering it's a 'bad end'

Yes choices in Grisaia are too few. I meant that they change the story completely. I must have misunderstood what you said.

its not exactly a visual novel but its a relaxed game with sex if that is what you're searching for but artificial academy lets you create a class of 25 and you interact with them and there is dating and everything there is even a possibility of a student with the evil attribute murdering another student but i have yet to run into it and it is translated fully but i have found it to be ridiculously hard to get working

• 2 weeks later...

Also always on the lookout for this, but so far I haven't found anything 'larger' than Clannad.

If you're just looking for an unique route system, you could perhaps try Axanael. The story is told from the perspectives of six different protagonist, which you all read at the same time. The catch is, that the only 'choices' in that VN are completely luck based (on your first way through at least), as it is the Russian Roulette itself that changes the story. Each time a character participates in the game, there's the possibility of them either dying or getting their wish fulfilled, and the story changes based on that. It's a very novel and entertaining way of reading an interactive story, although it admittedly wears out after your second or third way through, as they didn't go too crazy with the variations for obvious reasons.