How do you get past the artstyle?

Zarah

I'm not sure if a topic like this has been made before, if so please link me.

Anyway, here's the thing: There's many vns that are said to be pretty good, like MuvLuv and Clannad. I'd really like to read those, but there's a big problem stopping me and you probably already know what it is. The art style.

In every single vn that I've ever played excluding KS, I had to get used to the artstyle. 

To me, the artstyles of these two vns and many others is very revolting (especially Clannad, it literally fucking terrifies me.) And I can't see myself being able to get used to them.

I'm not actually planning to play Clannad, so MuvLuv is the problem here. I'm sure somebody else encountered this problem before, so my question is how you got over that. Got used to it, ignored it, etc.?

Hmm...  depends on what's bothering you in Muv Luv at least.  Is it the lower quality of the sprites or the art design of the characters that bothers you?  If it's the quality, then I can absolutely say that this improves in Alternative.  If it's the character designs, then...  honestly, they grow on you.  Once you start connecting with the story, the things that annoyed you become part of their charm.  At least, that's how it worked for me.

I had more trouble with Steins;Gate to be honest.  Those vacant eyes of theirs...

There are VNs with a lot stranger styles than those. When you read a lot of manga/eroges it becomes a lot harder to get caught up on bad art, and just a matter or recognizing good art. Beside you won't be playing most VNs for the art.

I'm usually very enthusiastic about seeing character designs that are different from the literal sameface most VNs have. (Although Clannad looks terrible, but I gotta dislike some stuff). I really don't see what the problem could be with Muv-Luv's designs.

Even designs like Ryukishi's ones that look pretty bad I've grown fond of. At least they have their own peculiarity, and they're also very good at expressing emotions. I don't mind them at all.

So yeah, the solution is just to broaden your tastes.

Like Down said, the solution is to just broaden your tastes. VNs have more to offer than just character sprites, if you get so caught up in character designs you won't enjoy the rest of the experience.

If anything I'd say the art nowadays has a troublesome case of same-face-syndrome which is much more annoying than weirdly proportioned characters that had unique traits to them and were distinguishable (Key is an exception because they've always been bound by same-face-syndrome)

If you can get through Higurashi you're pretty much good to deal with most things.

I've read countless things with art that would be considered "terrible" by some, but i've just come to get used to it because there's more to the content than just the art (Seriously, Hunter x Hunter looks like it was drawn by a 5 year old).

I have the same problem, which makes things difficult because the consensus these days seem to be "graphics don't matter, n00bs" for visual novels and video games in general. I can't really say anything of help, because I feel as though there are simply those who are put off by bad graphics and those who don't mind.

I'm not sure if a topic like this has been made before, if so please link me.

Anyway, here's the thing: There's many vns that are said to be pretty good, like MuvLuv and Clannad. I'd really like to read those, but there's a big problem stopping me and you probably already know what it is. The art style.

In every single vn that I've ever played excluding KS, I had to get used to the artstyle. 

To me, the artstyles of these two vns and many others is very revolting (especially Clannad, it literally fucking terrifies me.) And I can't see myself being able to get used to them.

I'm not actually planning to play Clannad, so MuvLuv is the problem here. I'm sure somebody else encountered this problem before, so my question is how you got over that. Got used to it, ignored it, etc.?

I could agree on what down said for most of his games... Except Higurashi. I can see how Umineko's and Higanbana's artwork is good for conveying emotions, and Rose Guns Days has pretty nice artwork to begin with (massive upgrade, in my opinion), but Higurashi?

fMQR4zi.jpg

I loved Umineko's original artstyle, even the background images and the lack of voice acting, it's a critical part of the VN for me.

If you don't like the artstyle, the only way to cope with it is simply to put up with it. There really isn't anything to do. Your tastes differ from what the artist(s) drew, if it is ruining the VN for you just power through or drop it: If the artstyle is unbearable, IMO then that VN just isn't for you.

Read, don't watch.  VNs aren't anime.

Edit:  Sorry, didn't mean to be a jerk... all I can say is that prioritizing art is a phase everyone goes through.  Some manage to escape it (and benefit immensely) others never do (and suffer from a lack of truly great VNs as a result).  One of the problems for a lot of otaku going is that the art-style for older games is always several years older than the anime made at the same time... meaning that if you can't watch the anime made at the same time for visual reasons, you will probably have trouble with VNs made at that time. 

One solution is to treat VNs as what they are... a literary medium that has visuals and music tacked on to enhance the experience.  Another way to do it is shock therapy... watch LOTGH and play Tsukihime.  Visually, those are waaaaaay behind, but both are awesome story-wise.