Anyone up for creating a (non serious) community VN?

Diamon

Yo fellow people from fuwa. I was thinking about a potentially interesting concept,  I was wondering if anyone was interested in creating a VN in a participatory way : it would be basically a (nearly) free of access projects that anyone could access to at anytime and be able to meddle with what was already created, or create their own new project. I don't want it to be something where we need to create a "team" with "members", it would be some sort of public account accessible to anyone interested in Fuwanovel. As a result, you're free to invest yourself as much as you want on this, for example you could start working on a project for a week and then decide to drop it if you don't have the motivation to continue, and someone else could totally decide to take the reins if the project interests him. So really, anyone is free to participate, without specific amount of involvement or any specific skill required.

We'll be using the beta site Cloudnovel which is a site where we can create a Visual Novel online, it requires no programming knowledge and is very similar to a video editor.. If you want to have access to the account, just make a post saying so in this thread, and I will pm you the ID and PW.

Of course, I'm not expecting anything "serious" to come out of this because of the very nature of this project,  Also, you can create what you want on this editor, whether it is a seemingly more "legit" VN or whether it is a "trollish" VN (https://vndb.org/v14965 anyone?), as long as you respect DRM (= don't steal any asset from a real VN).

If by chance it happens that someone wants to start a serious project on a separate and private account, they will just have to ask me so and we will create a personal account for that purpose.

Ofc, I'm well aware that the biggest problem will be asset creation, and the only solution would be to use free assets :

- Free of rights sprites (http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=52)

- Photo montage (Anyone wants to do a VN with a OriginalRen as a protagonist? :D)

- Free of rights backgrounds (http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=17302)

- Photographic backgrounds

- Sprite makers (such as : https://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/7888-sprite-maker/?hl=sprite or http://pochi.lix.jp/k_kisekae2.html)

- Free of right music / sound effects (easy to google)

If ever some people want to create assets themselves for that purpose, it would be awesome, but I don't expect a lot of people to do so because it is kinda time consuming^^ The only knowledge that would be required is basic photo manipulation skills, since you will need to learn how to create picture with transparency, resize pictures...

TL;DR : How does it work concretely?

=> Sprites, BG and music will be taken from assets on the web that are free of right and linked in the cloudnovel library by the users themselves (I will try to put some assets I found myself, but do not expect me to look for assets for you, it's easy enough to google and I linked quite a few things already)

=> How are the projects handled :

- Person A decides to try creating something. I give him the password and ID, and he creates project1.

- Person A finds assets he wants to use, upload them and start creating his VN.

- Person B gets interested in project1 as well. He decides to meddle with project1 as well, and A and B discuss about what they want to do in this thread.

- Person C is not interested in project1, so he decides to create his own project, project2. After one week working on it, Person C gets tired of working on that and abandon his project.

- Person D notice project2 and finds potential in it, and decides to take over from where it was left.

All of this only works if everyone respects the work of each other, so no trolling allowed (like deleting or completely changing someone else's project that is being worked on without asking them just to screw them). If ever something like that happen, I will immediately stop the whole thing and delete the account.

So if anyone is interested or if you have questions, feel free to ask here!

EDIT :

It seems that most people prefer to have precise roles, so I guess I will list what are the different job required if you want to participate. Don't worry, there is no skill requirement^^

- Asset finder : First, you need assets, so you need someone who can find assets on the web, or create them yourself. It can be photoshopped pictures, or filtered backgrounds, creating sprites from a sprite maker... That's what an asset finder is here for.

- Writer : I don't really have to explain I believe^^

- VN creator : Basically, the editor is the one that will put all the assets together with the writing in order to create the VN. he is the one responsible for creating the animations of the different sprites, put the sound effects, or the text effects... It's very similar to video editing.

Of course, you can accumulate several roles, or even all of them at once.

If you'd like to participate, please state which role you'd like to take on! I'll try to list everyone here!

(This post will be reserved for various tutorials and explanations about how to use Cloudnovel, if people are interested that is)

I'll start with an introduction video to Cloudnovel that I made quite some time ago (sorry for the accent^^). it should give you the basics about how to use the editor. If people don't like videos, I can try to make a written tutorial with screenshots as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjAsknQIZXE

Guest Façade

I actually discussed this with my programmer for a bit, and if you're looking to reach anything above Visual Novels purely as your hobby, Cloudnovel isn't recommended. It has many limitations compared to standard renpy (unable to insert custom effects, unable to manually edit code, unable to define custom variables etc. I heard that it also cannot handle large files like PSD elements or high quality music over 10 minutes, but I'm not so sure about that.) The one significant advantage it has is its great ease of use and extreme portability, promoted by the fact that it's hosted fully online. :D

But then, it might work really well for an endeavor like this...... :D 

There are many free programmers looking to participate in ambitious VN projects on lemmasoft, so maybe weighing renpy against this might be a good idea too? ;)

It is also in beta, as you can quite obviously make out from looking at the URL.

Also: PSD in a web context? Hell no. Use PNG instead. Bandwidth and Local Storage restrictions obviously still apply, and everything served through HTTP(S) obviously serves as kind of DRM, rightfully so though.

Who knows what might be possible by opening up the API and allowing custom code, since injecting JS into a Cloudnovel VN would be an easy thing to do and pretty much giving you full power over the code your game is able to run.

I've sent PM to the people interested. People should be able to work on separate projects at the same time even on the same account, but I'm not sure what is going to happen if two people work on the same project at the same time and both save their work, so in doubt I'd advice to try to communicate wwith the other person if you're willing to work on an existing project. I've created a test project where I'll input some assets so that people can try to mess a bit with the editor!

I'm willing to the following for any project that wants me to: quality checking, editing, organization and basic management.

I feel kind of proud to have guessed to which VN that link would lead to.

WE NEED TO DO THIS THING

Edit: I might not be able to contribute a lot to it, but I can always beta-test and contribute with the writing (if anybody would bother with that).

Actually, I don't exactly want people to consider "roles" like for a regular Visual Novel project, I mean by no mean I'm expecting to form any real and concrete project like that (it might, but that's not my goal), technically anyone can create a little something, more or less serious, depending on how much time you're willing to spend. It's like creating an AMV, you just need to choose the video (here the sprites and BG) from what you can find on the web, same for the music. The only real "creative" part is the writing, but then again anyone can write to some extent (I mean if it's for a somehow trollish project, you don't exactly need to write like Shakespeare^^)

It is also in beta, as you can quite obviously make out from looking at the URL.

Also: PSD in a web context? Hell no. Use PNG instead. Bandwidth and Local Storage restrictions obviously still apply, and everything served through HTTP(S) obviously serves as kind of DRM, rightfully so though.

Who knows what might be possible by opening up the API and allowing custom code, since injecting JS into a Cloudnovel VN would be an easy thing to do and pretty much giving you full power over the code your game is able to run.

Yeah, actually at some point we talked to greg about and he did say that he wanted to allow custom code at some point, but obviously that it would be something to work on on the later phases of development.^^

It seems that most people prefer to have precise roles, so I guess I will list what are the different job required if you want to participate. Don't worry, there is no skill requirement^^

Asset finder : First, you need assets, so you need someone who can find assets on the web, or create them yourself. It can be photoshopped pictures, or filtered backgrounds, creating sprites from a sprite maker... That's what an asset finder is here for.

Writer : I don't really have to explain I believe^^

VN creator : Basically, the editor is the one that will put all the assets together with the writing in order to create the VN. he is the one responsible for creating the animations of the different sprites, put the sound effects, or the text effects... It's very similar to video editing.

Of course, you can accumulate several roles, or even all of them at once.

If you'd like to participate, please state which role you'd like to take on! I'll try to list everyone here!

I actually discussed this with my programmer for a bit, and if you're looking to reach anything above Visual Novels purely as your hobby, Cloudnovel isn't recommended. It has many limitations compared to standard renpy (unable to insert custom effects, unable to manually edit code, unable to define custom variables etc. I heard that it also cannot handle large files like PSD elements or high quality music over 10 minutes.

Guest Façade

I'm itching to comment on how infinitely limited Cloudnovel is, but I must stress the fact that it is so newb friendly that any member of the community can create fairly decent VNs with the right assets.

For many it's such a joy to have a "plug and play" sort of engine to create novels without sinking your head into python code. XD